Page 40 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Short vid in the Weber Smokefire and their new Weber Connect WiFi thermometer. Similar to the https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-fbx11-thermometer/]fireboard that I’ve been eyeing for a bit, but slightly less expensive.

Anyone have a good recipe or procedure for smoked wings? We're headed to a stupidbowl party at the neighbors and I'd like to bring some wings.

Site Supporter
    Rob,

We just made smoked wings last night on my Big Green Egg. I used 275 as a temperature, and a single chunk of Post Oak for some smoke. I think the cook took around 35-40 minutes a side when my internal temperature hit 175-185 degrees.

As for a seasoning, it all depends if the wings are getting sauced. For dry wings, pick your favorite BBQ rub and rock on. For sauced wings, I prefer salt and pepper. Prior to seasoning the wings, I rub the wings down with a little avocado oil. Overall it’s a simple and quick cook! Your guests will love them.

Good luck!

Name:  0F0B6C1F-BA0A-4759-8DA9-1F0C8326A5C6.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  40.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Rob,

We just made smoked wings last night on my Big Green Egg. I used 275 as a temperature, and a single chunk of Post Oak for some smoke. I think the cook took around 35-40 minutes a side when my internal temperature hit 175-185 degrees.

As for a seasoning, it all depends if the wings are getting sauced. For dry wings, pick your favorite BBQ rub and rock on. For sauced wings, I prefer salt and pepper. Prior to seasoning the wings, I rub the wings down with a little avocado oil. Overall it’s a simple and quick cook! Your guests will love them.

Good luck!
    Those look delicious. I've never smoked wings. Might have to fix that this weekend.

Thanks for the idea gents.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

great idea, I may just stick "simple" and do 'em dry with one of my rubs. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    The right reverend Willie G approves of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Short vid in the Weber Smokefire and their new Weber Connect WiFi thermometer. Similar to the https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-fbx11-thermometer/]fireboard that I’ve been eyeing for a bit, but slightly less expensive.

While I still *love* the concept of this cooker, it appears that they are having a series of niggling problems that are killing them. Primarily that the hopper angle allows for "log jams" of the pellets which doesn't allow them to feed, and a fire pot design that may be a bit finicky. They have proved, to me at least, that it's possible to get a pellet smoker up two 600, making one-device cooking possible, but it seems that they screwed up the details, and the computers may be having issues as well. Also, lesson to anyone trying to sell a new grille, don't launch it in winter (lot's of issues with the cold weather, it appears).

These are the two main guys I see having problems on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgF...uery=smokefire

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7P...uery=smokefire

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    They have proved, to me at least, that it's possible to get a pellet smoker up two 600, making one-device cooking possible, but it seems that they screwed up the details, and the computers may be having issues as well.
    My Rec Tec does 600° F too, without log jams or catching fire.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    My Rec Tec does 600° F too, without log jams or catching fire.
    There's a lot of discussion, here and elsewhere, that it wasn't possible. Not saying that other cookers can't or didn't claim it previously.

Been awhile since I looked inside a Rec Tec, and haven't looked in one of their wifi models at all, but do they include or recommend a drip pan or water pan? between the meat and heat source?

Also, not comparing it to the Weber but again curious, how long does it take to go from say 200 to 600?

ETA:
    this guy did a video on the time to 500 which was 26 minutes in 80 degree ambient.
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-20-2020 at 09:59 AM.

I've got the Stampede (590) and it has a tray that's ramped out to the standard bucket.

There are a few catches to the high temp thing. My controller will hit 500° and the next setting above that is "max". This is then adjustable by the pellet feed rate in the controller. That's rather easy. I've done a few cooks at 550-600 without much issue in the summer.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List