Page 79 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Turkey in the Brine

Got the turkey in the brine tonight. I used 1/3 cup of Cure #1 per gallon as indicated in the Insta Cure #1 container. The rest of the recipe remained the same. Wifey was not fond of the idea of having a 5 gallon bucket in the fridge for 6 days so I just iced it down with ice in a gallon zip lock and a frozen 1/2 gallon milk jug of water. This helps keep the turkey submerged. I put it out in the garage where it is cool and will change out the ice packs as needed.

In the brine!

Turkey on Ice!

The Cure

Make sure your bucket is food grade!

More pix and commentary in 6 days!

Site Supporter
    Our Thanksgiving tradition is that we don’t have one. So this year we did Brisket. My first time using a pellet smoker and it felt like cheating. Name:  242AA05C-7C17-4E8E-B269-93CCB1C7B1ED.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  98.0 KBName:  A385E39C-A560-44A8-8F9B-B038A206AB6E.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  66.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Archimagirus View Post
    Our Thanksgiving tradition is that we don’t have one. So this year we did Brisket. My first time using a pellet smoker and it felt like cheating. Name:  242AA05C-7C17-4E8E-B269-93CCB1C7B1ED.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  98.0 KBName:  A385E39C-A560-44A8-8F9B-B038A206AB6E.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  66.1 KB
    Boy that looks good! What is your recipe?

Site Supporter
    Equal parts Kosher Salt and Coarse ground pepper, 12 hours at as close to 250 as your smoker will hold with a water pan , smoked with Oak.

I used to make super complicated rubs for pork and beef, but unless I am making beef barbacao, beef and pork just get salt and pepper. I simplified my technique after hearing Aaron Franklin’s thoughts on rubs.

I’ve tried brisket rub (just salt and pepper) on pork before and I won’t do it again.

I don’t care who said it was a good idea. Nobody wanted to eat it.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’ve tried brisket rub (just salt and pepper) on pork before and I won’t do it again.

I don’t care who said it was a good idea. Nobody wanted to eat it.
    Yeah for beef, it's salt, pepper, and lots of garlic (inherited taste for garlic from my dad). Nothing else.

Pork needs something sweet, even fruity. A lot of people like paprika in their pork rubs, but not me.

Of course YMMV.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've got two slabs o' beef marinating in red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic. I used my new meat stabber thingy to tenderize prior to. We'll see how much difference it makes.

On a side note, I don't need this thing, do I?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fornetto-Ba...ker/1000714230

I went and bought some hickory chunks today and every time I walk past this thing I think "I don't need that thing....do I?"

So tell me why it's stupid to spend $100 on a pill-shaped grill/smoker when I have an offset and a regular charcoal grill. I should just buy a drum smoker with more gooder air control for more money, right? RIGHT?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I finally gave up trying to reverse sear a tri tip in one go.
    Yesterday, I pushed more smoke until the internal temp hit 110'F then I took it off and let it cool/rest for ~40 minutes.
    (helpful that the weather is cooler and "low" is 165 instead of 190)
    Fired up the gas grill and seared it properly to 120, rested to 125 and cut.
    Everyone said it was better this way. More smoke and more char. Winning.

#SorryNoPics
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I finally gave up trying to reverse sear a tri tip in one go.
    Yesterday, I pushed more smoke until the internal temp hit 110'F then I took it off and let it cool/rest for ~40 minutes.
    (helpful that the weather is cooler and "low" is 165 instead of 190)
    Fired up the gas grill and seared it properly to 120, rested to 125 and cut.
    Everyone said it was better this way. More smoke and more char. Winning.

#SorryNoPics
    Glad it worked out! One of my most favorite roasts.

Yeah, unless you have something like a Hasty Bake, trying to do it all on one cooker is problematic. I purchased a cheep Weber kettle just for that searing at the end.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Just salt and pepper, let sit for about 30 minutes, then marinade in red wine vinegar, Worcester sauce, and garlic. Oh, and tenderizer treatment with the swords in a box thing. A few hours marinating. Then smoked on charcoal and hickory.
    Name:  20201206_152333.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  43.2 KB

Made 2, that's the first one to be done.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List