Page 142 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1520

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Smoke oven bark

Name:  IMG_1652.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  85.5 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

planning on doing a chuck roast this weekend. Going to smoke, then pan with some beef broth. Looking to shred for sandwiches. Anyone done this? any tips?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    planning on doing a chuck roast this weekend. Going to smoke, then pan with some beef broth. Looking to shred for sandwiches. Anyone done this? any tips?
    If you shop at a real butcher (not prepackaged supermarket), ask for a Chuck Eye (aka Delmonico).... it's the transition between the Rib and the Chuck... More flavorful IMO and more tender part of the Chuck.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If you shop at a real butcher (not prepackaged supermarket), ask for a Chuck Eye (aka Delmonico).... it's the transition between the Rib and the Chuck... More flavorful IMO and more tender part of the Chuck.
    for this one, that ship has sailed as I got the meat from Wild Fork when I was putting in an order for a bunch of other stuff.

Site Supporter
    for this one, that ship has sailed as I got the meat from Wild Fork when I was putting in an order for a bunch of other stuff.
    If your Chuck is even 75% as awesome looking as your Butts at the top of the page, you'll be fine!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I take it to 211 degrees after adding broth and wrapping. I then let it sit in a cooler for two hours before pulling. I make a horsey sauce to spoon over it on a fresh bun.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If your Chuck is even 75% as awesome looking as your Butts at the top of the page, you'll be fine!
    I think he’s saying you have a nice butt.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

no pics, but I would chalk up the chuck experiment to a "meh" as of now.

Since I got the cut from the delivery, I didn't get to choose the "right" amount of marbling. The chuck meat that did shred off came out great, but there was a lot more fat left when I shredded it than I'd have liked. I'd say that I had a pile of fat and a pile of meat that were both about the same size when I was done.

I'll try it again probably. My method this time was
    1. Season with Meat Church Holy Cow
    2. On smoke at 235 with added smoke tube to 170 internal (~3 hours)
    3. aluminum pan, beef broth to about 1/4 up the side, cover with foil
    4. in grill at 300 for 2 hours to 205+ internal
    5. Rest in pan ~30 minutes
    6. shred

Next time I will go with
    1. Season with *something different*
    2. On smoke at 250 to 175 internal (~3 hours)
    3. aluminum pan, beef broth up to 1/2 the side, maybe some butter, cover with foil
    4. in grill at 300 for 2 hours to 210 internal, flipping once in pan halfway through
    5. Rest in pan ~30 minutes
    6. shred

A bunch of times. Get your chuck cut at 3” thick. Thats the key. I add one oz of broth once it has the bark I want and double wrap tightly in foil I take it to 205 and let it set in a cooler covered with towels for an hour. You can cut it with a spoon. I use amazing ribs big bad beef rub and kansas city bbq sauce going with the more honey option.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    A bunch of times. Get your chuck cut at 3” thick. Thats the key. I add one oz of broth once it has the bark I want and double wrap tightly in foil I take it to 205 and let it set in a cooler covered with towels for an hour. You can cut it with a spoon. I use amazing ribs big bad beef rub and kansas city bbq sauce going with the more honey option.
    I didn't think 170-something would be enough, but, never have smoked a chuck, so, didn't want to "Butt" in...

Is there much of a stall when taking beef roasts above 180'F?? I expect that wrapping and adding some steam is a good way to soften the meat, but, for those of us that are lazy.... inquiring minds...

User Tag List