Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Vault Doors

RFI - Vault Doors

Looks like my statement of "I'll never buy another gun safe" is coming to fruition. The proposed new Casa De Sean has the ability to build a walk-in.

Who has one? What vault door did you use? Why?
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Look for a GSA approved Class 5 vault door with a Sargent and Greenleaf x-07 lock. The room should be made of 6 inch poured concrete with reinforced rebar 6 inches on center. Or you could line the room with 1/4 inch steel plate with a continuous weld. I think this is what is used for real gun vaults.

https://www.navfac.navy.mil/navfac_w...oor_Order.html
    Last edited by DamonL; 04-25-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Appreciate the input, but I have a limited budget, and have to work with the existing structure. A vault like that just is not in the budget.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 04-25-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I'll talk to my nephew. He's a locksmith who sells a lot of large safes and RSC's, along with vault doors here in Dallas. I'll try and see if I can get a set of price ranges and evals as well.

I do know from chats with him that he is a big fan of Amsec and another maker, I'll find out which one.

Okay after a house fire in 2007 we had to build a new house and my wise wife understood if she gave me the ultimate man cave, a walk in gun safe, she could get anything else in the new house she wanted. My kitchen as enough stainless steel to build the Queen Mary, our countertops in the entire house consist of enough high end granite to re-tombstone Elmwood Cemetary up in Birmingham, ten gazzillion complex fascets on the roof and dormers, but I digress.

The walk in safe is a concrete room, the house itself is on a rebar reinformced slab, the room is a 10' x 20' that was the size of what would have been a garage bay. It has a rebar cage for walls which was framed and 12" concrete walls poured, with a rebar reinforced 10" concrete cap, also poured and two doors. We finished the interior with drywall, lighting, outlets, and installed four 4" airconditioning vents. The room also serves as our tornado shelter (the only time my wife will come in). As my contractor said of the thing when he finished it, "this room will still be here when Jesus returns".

I digress, for the two doors I evaluated all the vault door options, and instead chose a pair of large 36" steel 5 layer industrial doors with a handle and deadlbolt strike and interior hinges (4 hinge points total). The frames were set before the concrete pour so it is pretty useless to attach the door frame or walls or ceiling with anything but a jackhammer or ordinance.

To secure the doors, probably the weak point, I chose a simplex lock door handle like the one they use on computer rooms, it does have a key override, and for the deadbolt I got a Japanese "precision made" combination deadbolt similar to the simplex type lock. The standard simplex lock as a complex 3 sequence combination with a button before the handle turns. The Jap deadbolt has a simple handle and a 4 digit sequence combination but no key override. The combinations are different for the two locks but identical on each door. You must open both locks on the door to enter. Inside the gun vault/man cave I also have a cheap stack on safe inside a cabinet with a simple barrel bolt which is reserved for the NFA items. (defeat 3 locks and two steel doors to get to the NFA stuff).

I am very happy with the set up and would do the same thing again. I have no illusion that a crew with a torch and 20 minutes to spare could not cut through, but less than that, I have very serious doubts about your window of opportunity. These industrial 5 layer steel sheet doors swing easily, were 1/4 the cost of the vault doors, but are not going to be easy to punch. There are ADT sensor strikes and an independent zone on the two doors that I keep armed while we are away.

The ultimate man cave, the ultimate walk in gun safe, I win, the game is over, but the rest of you have to wish me luck living and working long enough to pay off the mortgage on this stainless steel kitchen and miles of granite countertop, but I still think I won....

Good luck on your project! I hope yours give you as much peace of mind and enjoyment as mine has!

some pics, fatdog ultimate man cave walk in gun safe

Last edited by fatdog; 04-25-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Now that is a true vault. I think you have room for a few more guns.

Another possibility is a reinforced room in the basement. If the basement has poured concrete or cinder block walls, and a slab floor, you could pick a corner. You then build the interior walls with cinder block. The cinder block can be reinforced with rebar and concrete down the middle if you want. The ceiling would need to be reinforced. Maybe a lattice of rebar connected to the walls could work. The spacing should be tight. Again 6 to 10 inch on center.
    Last edited by DamonL; 04-26-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    Someday I will have my man cave/bunker/bat cave!!!!

Name:  IMG_5688.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  51.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What the fuck.

That is awesome. Both Fatdog and GJM.

Now I've got some more goals to work towards in life....
    Last edited by TGS; 04-26-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List