Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Police Positive

Colt Police Positive

A few days ago I received a call from my LGS about a couple of things that had just walked into the store. They know what I like and have standing orders to alert me when opportunities arise. My choice was between this, nearly mint Police Positive .38 Special, or a well worn 1903 hammerless in .380acp. If the 1903 had been as nice as the PP I'd have snapped it up as well, but it was rather tired.

Colt Police Positive in .38 Special, manufactured in 1969.

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Wow! Very nice!

Out-freakin-standing piece...use in good health!

-Rainman

Site Supporter
    Nice find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I'd like one of those.

Very nice.

I have 10 or 12 (not sure how many) Police Positives both in .38 Special and .38 S&W all with factory letters to the Boston Police Dept. mostly from the 30's 40's 50's

Ferengi rule of acquisition #59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"
    website www.bpdguns.com

I’ve always had a thing for the last model Police Positive Specials, the ones with the shrouded ejector rod. This popped up in one of my saved searches. It has to be a late barrel on an earlier action - what a mess!

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/875667727
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    Very nice.

I have 10 or 12 (not sure how many) Police Positives both in .38 Special and .38 S&W all with factory letters to the Boston Police Dept. mostly from the 30's 40's 50's

Nice!

"last model Police Positive Specials, the ones with the shrouded ejector rod"

I bought two of those, used. The first was beautifully polished and blued and was a complete jamma-matic. It would shave pieces of bullet jackets so large that the cylinder had to be malleted open every few shots. I unloaded that one, in the sales meaning of the word.

The second one was used and cheap and rusted, and also would not fire all 6 rounds without getting rotational problems. The cylinder latch was so wiggly in its slot that it often caught the rim of the next cartridge. I could find no sign that this was Bubba the gunsmith at his worst, but I did reach for the Dremel to fix it. It balances nice and shoots well, with that heavy barrel. And the rust pits did not heal, dang-it.

So I became a bit soured a Colt's quality at the end of the DA six gun era. I'm very pleased that the new ones seem just fine.

Bart Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    Very nice.

I have 10 or 12 (not sure how many) Police Positives both in .38 Special and .38 COLT NEW POLICE all with factory letters to the Boston Police Dept. mostly from the 30's 40's 50's

User Tag List