Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt Police Positive

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Noir View Post
    "last model Police Positive Specials, the ones with the shrouded ejector rod"

I bought two of those, used. The first was beautifully polished and blued and was a complete jamma-matic. It would shave pieces of bullet jackets so large that the cylinder had to be malleted open every few shots. I unloaded that one, in the sales meaning of the word.

The second one was used and cheap and rusted, and also would not fire all 6 rounds without getting rotational problems. The cylinder latch was so wiggly in its slot that it often caught the rim of the next cartridge. I could find no sign that this was Bubba the gunsmith at his worst, but I did reach for the Dremel to fix it. It balances nice and shoots well, with that heavy barrel. And the rust pits did not heal, dang-it.

So I became a bit soured a Colt's quality at the end of the DA six gun era. I'm very pleased that the new ones seem just fine.

Bart Noir
    That deflates my interest!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

HD, don't let my complaints keep you from seeking. I find that PPS model to be a nicely balanced sixgun. They can't all be bad. Just be careful in your shopping.

The D-frame I like the most is a 3-inch Detective Special. I had an older one and also built one (from PPS) when I found a couple of heavy barrels for that model. Just the right size and balance.

I've had other problems with S&W 5-guns, these both being Model 940. As long as I didn't shoot any +P they worked. But it was a lesson I had to find out myself. I would not say these were in any way "broken" guns but it shows that S&W can have problems also. Such as not testing and then putting in the manual that +P rounds are not a good match to the chambers.

Bart Noir

User Tag List