View Poll Results: Which is your carry position?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Appendix

52 43.70%
  • Traditional IWB (3-to whatever)

59 49.58%
  • Everywhere and anywhere

8 6.72%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional IWB in the age of appendix carry

Started off with a Crossbreed Supertuck at 4 o'clock. Blew out my right shoulder in a motocross accident (2 surgeries and months of PT) and found that it was very uncomfortable to draw from 4 o'clock after that. Shoulder didn't have the flexibility back then. Found this site, ordered a JM AIWB to try out and I've been an AIWB guy ever since. The only time I use an OWB is for gun games, and those are dropped/offset competition holsters with minimal retention. AIWB for anything else.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    45dotACP hit on the main points. If I'm pinned my objective is to make space, work to escape or reverse. Going for a weapon might work however, it also might compromise me. I have watched a lot of folks work for a weapon, losing time and energy when they should have devoted that effort to making space, creating frames, and getting out. It's always going to be about the timing, if they go for the weapon or escape or whatever at the wrong time they'll get shut down and maybe shoved deeper in the hole. Go for the weapon after building a frame, and finding some calm in the storm? You have a better probability of success. In the Armed Squirrel Podcast, (http://armedsquirrelsproject.libsyn....he-only-option), I talked briefly about frames and their role in IFWA. If I could teach a gun guy/gal, that isn't going to train Jiujitsu, one thing it would be how to build a frame while in a bad position. Even if they never train jiujitsu again, if they can remember that principle while working IFWA they'll be miles ahead of the guy/gal that doesn't understand and apply this principle.

Not to derail the thread completely but the Ryron vs Galvao match is a good example of framing by Ryron to shut down a stronger, faster, more athletic opponent. The match itself might not mean a lot to a non-jiujitsu person however, the gems are there if you look at if from the perspective of IFWA under a frame, using the time the frame buys you to go for a tool. https://youtu.be/_x5ycQ1mOyI
    Very helpful and insightful. Thank you!

@chingy98, I have no problems sitting for extended periods. You just need to find the position that works best. Crouching can be annoying sometimes. I generally wear a beater so my gun and holster don't scratch or rub my skin directly, but I still get poked from the hammer or beaver tail if I kneel down sometimes. I just deal with it or try to work around it.

Site Supporter
    I haven't tried AIWB yet for true loaded carry, still carrying IWB @ 3 o'clock with a G19. I've got a mirrored training gun with a gadget and a holster to play around with so I'm very slowly inching in that direction just haven't taken the leap to loaded carry yet. With the set up I have though, IWB @ 3 is way more comfortable with minimal difference in signature and I don't have anything aimed at my femoral artery so I'm fairly happy with the status quo.

When contemplating AIWB with the Glock, I always hear ToddG's words constantly reverberating in my mind, "if you fuck up, you will die". I'm a human being and I fuck up daily (just ask my wife) so making the full switch with the 19 isn't something that I feel I really just have to have at the moment despite the speed and concealment advantages it seems to provide.
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I have a question about appendix carry. Many years ago I worked with a guy who was into grappling, etc. We were suffering a boring night in the wire room and some old Vietnam war movie was on tv. They had the typical upside down fixed blade on the H harness. He mentioned that the belt on your side was the better choice. He wasn't talking about the obvious issues with gravity but rather if you're in a fight you can get pinned on your back or your stomach. If pinned face down the knife was not accessible. A person is less likely to be pinned on their side. Are there any concerns with guns or knives carried on the front being unavailable?

If you are pinned with your belly down, it is utterly irrelevant where the weapon is, because there is not a chance in hell that you are getting it out and having the ability to use it in any way. Period. And lots of people can get pinned in a side position where they have no ability to move. It is again irrelevant where the weapon is. It is not coming out, unless the top guy sees it and decides he wants to borrow it, and the bottom guy will have little say in the matter.

Trying to solve a software issue - not knowing how to escape a bottom position - with a hardware solution is equivalent to trying to fly a plane that is plummeting to the earth when you have never piloted a plane before. All the instrumentation ( the hardware) is right in front of you but you won't know a thing about working them.

edited to add - well, I should have read the whole thread to the end first rather than add a reply to a comment as I am going through the thread, since Paul, as usual, succinctly said it better than I did.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 04-26-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Traditional IWB, 3:30ish, have leather and kydex holsters I use. Leather is my preference for longer days. After a long enough time period, kydex starts to poke me whereas the slightly more pliable nature of leather is a lot more comfortable over extended periods.

Site Supporter
    IWB/OWB at 3-4 for most guns, most days. I tried AIWB for a while, but my holster sucked. Might try again sometime.

Pocket carry and SmartCarry happen for deep concealment and BUGs. Have an ankle holster for my 642 that gets used once in a while.

Probably should have said I'd carry anywhere if it meant I could hide something there, but most of the time, I carry one, and most of the time, I carry strong side hip.

AIWB. Took me a while to find holsters that worked, JMC was the answer. When I carred traditional IWB I needed to use subcompact guns and even then did not have confidence that I was concealing properly. I am 6'5" and 200lbs so that may be part of it. I love AIWB because it lets me conceal full-size guns and maintain constant awareness of the concealment situation. The only piece missing was the Gadget, and I now have that. Am a happy guy.

I think if I lived in a shall-issue state, I might be more relaxed about being ultra-concealed at all times. But in my current situation, if I get made, I will lose my permit and all my guns. High stakes.
    Last edited by ScotchMan; 04-27-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckysattva View Post
    When contemplating AIWB with the Glock, I always hear ToddG's words constantly reverberating in my mind, "if you fuck up, you will die". I'm a human being and I fuck up daily (just ask my wife) so making the full switch with the 19 isn't something that I feel I really just have to have at the moment despite the speed and concealment advantages it seems to provide.
    Pretty much where I am. I've got a Gadget and have been experimenting with a bluegun, but still not comfortable with AIWB. Getting a good holster made conventional IWB work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    edited to add - well, I should have read the whole thread to the end first rather than add a reply to a comment as I am going through the thread, since Paul, as usual, succinctly said it better than I did.
    You know the end is near when I'm the succinct one. [emoji869]
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

User Tag List