View Poll Results: Which is your carry position?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Appendix

52 43.70%
  • Traditional IWB (3-to whatever)

59 49.58%
  • Everywhere and anywhere

8 6.72%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Traditional IWB in the age of appendix carry

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    With my build, I see no way I wouldn't flag myself while sitting.
    roger, but its in the holster. Whats the risk when the gun is in the holster? if you have to draw you can draw straight up but you are correct, you may potentially flag yourself. I am sure someone has a technique not to
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 04-27-2017 at 05:39 PM.

redacted
    Last edited by blues; 04-27-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    roger, but its in the holster. Whats the risk when the gun is in the holster? if you have to draw you can draw straight up but you are correct, you may potentially flag yourself. I am sure someone has a technique not to
    Well, the risk is I may need it out of the holster while seated. Or knocked prone. Etc.

Also, mostly a LEO concern, but I may have to holster on the fly because "it" changed from a lethal force situation to a hands on situation. I really like strong side for the no-look-hasty holster situation. Some strung out trailer park tweaker half my weight drops the knife but still wants to fight and is closing. I can't shoot him now, but he still needs to be dealt with. I don't want to be shoving a gun at my giblets in that situation.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe this would work...

Attachment 16080
    Shit. It's hard enough finding pants with thighs that fit now. While I'm sure that would make me feel pretty, it'd be tough on wardrobe selection.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Shit. It's hard enough finding pants with thighs that fit now. While I'm sure that would make me feel pretty, it'd be tough on wardrobe selection.
    And here I was trying to act all mature and all by removing by post...

At this time (3 days after the poll opened) there are just over 80 member responses and almost 1,900 active members. Is that a typical response rate?

I don't know if it's the fact AIWB is jokingly referred to as the "cool kid" carry method and I just assumed we were the "cool kids" but for some reason I thought the vast majority carried AIWB here.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 04-28-2017 at 09:50 AM.

We're cool enough to not care what the cool kids do. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    We're cool enough to not care what the cool kids do. :-)
    And not only that...I just find AIWB much more efficient and much more comfortable and so will only carry traditional IWB if forced to, as in no other realistic option. Kinder on the shoulders, less pressure on nerves and such, easier to access and quicker (for me) on the draw.

Hopefully my need to wear IWB will be limited to the occasional wedding or other formal event. And even then I might opt for ankle since I can't see myself using pocket carry in dress clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    As for comfort, I find AIWB much more comfortable than IWB (from 3 o'clock and back), standing, sitting, crouching, and while I was working...grappling with a subject. I'd rather wear OWB if I'm going to wear along the seam of my pants or further back.

Plus, I feel much more confident in my ability to conceal the firearm, reach it with either hand, and retain it in a scrum.
    +1.

0300 would be against my bony hip and hip/thigh joint, if IWB, so 0300 is OWB for me, too. Farther back, IWB is comfortable enough, but then I run into shoulder-joint flexibility issues, and I am concerned I would be simplifying access if someone decided to join the confrontation, on the side of my opponent. Plus, in a tightly-packed urban situation, anything behind my hip is going to be felt by someone in the crowd, at some points in time. (The folks who think they can maintain a clear space around themselves, at all times, have never walked far in the real world.) Indeed, some of the handgunners who originally spoke favorably of AIWB were those who had to mingle, at close quarters, with a certain segment of society. This includes Bruce Nelson, who built the original Summer Specials, with a vertical draw angle, no cant. (The present Milt Sparks company, as I understand it, will not build an uncanted Summer Special, but they did in the past; I have one.)

Another +1 regarding the ambidextrous-access aspect of appendix carry, whether inside or outside. This is one reason I mostly carry a secondary weapon AIWB, while primary is at 0300 to 0330, to match the 0300 location of my duty rig. My "primary" may well migrate toward appendix after I retire.

I carry AIWB and practice AIWB.
    But, I choose the "both" option, because my civilian ninja gear, range rules and game rules do not allow AIWB holsters. I have a Safariland ALS for those uses.

User Tag List