Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What sets the preferred holsters apart?

What sets the preferred holsters apart?

A genuine question which has been on my mind for some time now.

It's no secret the community here has its preference for certain holster makers - JMCK, CCC, etc. But what specifically sets these holsters apart?

Vague terms like craftsmanship get thrown around, but what specific qualities make the PF-endorsed guys more desirable than the dime-a-dozen kydex benders out there? For instance, we all know anybody making a zero-cant kydex holster tries to pass it off as viable for AIWB, even more so now when they throw a claw on to it.

I'm interested in the experiences and observations of the community to help articulate why these holsters are superior to the rest.

I also welcome information on failures of competitor products during training (brands can be withheld if necessary).
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

In no particular order:

1) customer service, which encompasses price, promptness of communication, delivery times and meeting those delivery times, platforms supported, and willingness to customize.

2) performance, as in how fast a presentation is allowed, both through design and adjustment to ride height.

3) concealment.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    - Quality, fit, and finish. There are small subtle differences between say my JM holsters and my local "good enough" guy. For me these can translate into comfort went worn all day, every day.
    - Continuing evolution of their designs

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    - Quality, fit, and finish. There are small subtle differences between say my JM holsters and my local "good enough" guy. For me these can translate into comfort went worn all day, every day.
    Can you elaborate on this?

What subtle differences do you feel set it apart? If it's anything proprietary or secretive I'll understand.

I know when it comes to the JMCK AIWB, the extra tuck feature is instrumental in aiding firearm concealment.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Can you elaborate on this?

What subtle differences do you feel set it apart? If it's anything proprietary or secretive I'll understand.

I know when it comes to the JMCK AIWB, the extra tuck feature is instrumental in aiding firearm concealment.
    Nothing secret. Just feels better - no hot spots etc. basically like good shoes vs cheap shoes when you are in your feet all day.

I don't AIWB SO I can't comment on that. I do have a wing claw ( no wedge etc ) which I use for conventional IWB. it is one of the few Kydex IWB holsters I find comfirtable ( I normally prefer leather for IWB).
    Last edited by HCM; 06-11-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    I honestly don't hang around many other forums so I've kinda only known these specific makers. They haven't given me cause to seek other holster makers. I'm sure if I hung out elsewhere I'd love a different maker.

I tried an Alien Gear and a Desantis holster and a Galco...all sucked IMO. Fragile, uncomfortable​, difficult to conceal...you name it.

I started paying attention to holsters that Todd carried back when (I think before the supporting business forum opened), ordered one and was satisfied. Those companies are pretty much the supporting businesses now. Lots of dudes probably got started similarly...word of internet.

On a gamble, I bought a new holster from Mastermind Tactics because I noticed they're a supporting business. Turns out, they're pretty awesome too.

Thus, I kinda figured the mods here are not shit and would require some standard of quality to be a supporting business, thus I trust the supporting business forum.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tag for later.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is it for me, otherwise we'd all be carrying this

Workmanship, customer service, etc., just gets a manufacturer in the door.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In no particular order:

1) customer service, which encompasses price, promptness of communication, delivery times and meeting those delivery times, platforms supported, and willingness to customize.

2) performance, as in how fast a presentation is allowed, both through design and adjustment to ride height.

3) concealment.
    I agree with these, and would add comfort and durability. I've had kydex holsters begin to develop cracks with as little as 6 months of use.
    Last edited by William B.; 06-11-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response
    Assistant Instructor at Protective Shooting Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by William B. View Post
    I agree with these, and would add comfort and durability. I've had kydex holsters begin to develop cracks with as little as 6 months of use.
    So many variables on that one. Lots of folks neglect details that are easily corrected with zero effort and some aren't.

Sometimes you have a wildcard failure. We actually had a failure rather quickly recently without explanation.

Lots of stuff though seems to look like folks would rather toss holsters out and collect some fast cash rather than wait and ensure things work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List