Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off center primer strike

Question off center primer strike

I purchased a used Glock 27 for an EDC. I'd say at max I've put 3000 rounds (WWB, Federal, Blazer Brass, UMC) through the gun. Within the past few months I started getting a number of off center and light primer strikes. I think one is bad for a carry gun but I was up to five to eight in a 100 round range trip.

I figured it could be a weak recoil spring so I replaced that. My next range trip I still had one off center strike. My next thought is to replace the extractor but I don't want to keep throwing parts at it that may not fix the issue.

Any thoughts on what else it could be or where I should go from here? Any advice would be appreciated. I will try to provide additional details to the best of my ability.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Matt, I would look at replacing a striker spring - I know for certain that worn or light striker spring can cause light strikes. Another possibility is trigger spring, but I think it is less likely to be a problem with Glocks.
    I've had some problems with light strikes with my Glock 19. The recommendations that I received then were to make sure that striker spring was fresh, the firing pin channel was clean, and spring cups were installed correctly.
    It should also be noted that some ammo just has hard primers and there is nothing you can do about it. My A-Zoom snap caps took a leave of absence when I shot Wolf ammo: each practice session with Wolf turn into ball and dummy or malfunction clearance session.

YVK, thanks for the suggestion. Before I changed the recoil spring I swapped the firing pin from my g23 and it still had the same issue but not as frequent. Probably should just replace all the springs to start.

The firing pin channel is as clean as I can get it and I have taken the spring cups off and on just to check. I thought it could be an ammo issue as it mostly happened with the boxes of Federal from Walmart but also got one with WWB round and one or two Blazer Brass rounds.

I am a little out of my league here with Glocks but could it be a recoil spring issue where the slide is getting pulled back a small amount when the trigger is pressed?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I am a little out of my league here with Glocks but could it be a recoil spring issue where the slide is getting pulled back a small amount when the trigger is pressed?
    Thats what we originally thought (i am friends with turbolag) but he replaced the spring and it still happened, seems to happen after about 50 rounds from what I remember.
    Chemist.

Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp View Post
    Thats what we originally thought (i am friends with turbolag) but he replaced the spring and it still happened, seems to happen after about 50 rounds from what I remember.
    Could the spring be binding?

It has to be something that is not letting the gun to go fully into battery every time. I can pull the slide back on my G19 about .030" and the barrel will drop about .025" and yet the gun will still fire.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

that was my first thought, maybe the spring was too weak to return to battery so the barrel was dropped a slight bit and firing pin hitting high. after replacing the spring and it still happening my thought was maybe the extractor is damaged and rounds are not being fed high enough causing the firing pin to hit high. all ammo fired the second time around.

Since Feb 2010 (when the slide on my G 19 flew into a dirt berm at a Get SOM class), all of my 9mm Glocks are overhauled when they hit around the 5,000 round mark. New pins, extractor & springs. Cheap insurance, IMHO.

I would suggest replacing all of the springs (and extractor) if you are able to do so, rather than trying to address the issue in a piecemeal fashion.

Just my 2 kopecks.

What is the condition of your striker channel liner? Sometimes if those get scored, they need to be replaced. Also, I assume you don't oil the striker assembly, that can draw crud in fast too. There is one other thing I would inspect, the plunger. If the timing is off slightly the striker could be impacting the plunger and causing it to hang up, you would see some wear on the plunger which is abnormal.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    I would suggest replacing all of the springs (and extractor) if you are able to do so, rather than trying to address the issue in a piecemeal fashion.
    I was thinking that as well, I recently received my armorers cert so I'm making a list of parts I want to order. the local gun store had the recoil spring but I didnt want to buy all of the parts from them if I didnt have to.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscoutg36 View Post
    What is the condition of your striker channel liner? Sometimes if those get scored, they need to be replaced. Also, I assume you don't oil the striker assembly, that can draw crud in fast too. There is one other thing I would inspect, the plunger. If the timing is off slightly the striker could be impacting the plunger and causing it to hang up, you would see some wear on the plunger which is abnormal.
    the striker channel liner, striker itself, and plunger dont show any abnormal wear that I can see. the only interesting wear spots are the peening on the slide and extractor. the gun is free of lube except the minimal amount put on the slide rails and barrel.

User Tag List