Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense : Hollow Point vs FMJ *HANDGUNS ONLY*

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Thus, shooting out of a Jeep with it's very flat windshield with minimal rake will have less deflection than a shooting out of a Ferrari 458, all things being equal.
    This has been my experience with shooting Ferraris.

Ok... not really.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a dick, why are we having this conversation in 2017?
    I think it was Mas who told me something along the lines of "Every year X-thousand people buy their first gun, what's well trodden ground for you is brand new to them." I probably dicked it up, but that was the gist of it. Plus he had a real number for "X".

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    FMJ is not a solid projectile. It's jacketed, which is the "J" in FMJ. I've not seen every FMJ out there go through auto glass, but the ones I have seen shed the jacket way easier than bonded hollowpoints, and then the soft interior lead fragments. I've seen the same body shot with different guns through the same glass when a young man decided to rip off the dope man and the dope man's buddies lit him up as he got into his car and started to drive away. Two shooters standing nearly next to each other shooting into the same vehicle hitting the same meat target, both with FMJ bullets but in two different calibers. .40 did hold together better than the 9mm, but both turned into sand blasters. Having seen our issued JHP go through car doors and windows, no contest. The JHP held together way better.
    I was thinking something more along the lines of the Speer TMJ bullet. Yes, standard FMJ projectiles are not "solid". I mean that the front of the bullet lacks a cavity and is generically "solid" by comparison.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a dick, why are we having this conversation in 2017? I really can't add more than that without rehashing so much info that has been addressed here in the past.
    The amount of time the average person spends actively involved in a hobby is apparently something like three years. In 2020 there will be a whole new crop of people ready for me to rewrite "Revolver vs. Auto: Which Rules on the Street?"
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The amount of time the average person spends actively involved in a hobby is apparently something like three years. In 2020 there will be a whole new crop of people ready for me to rewrite "Revolver vs. Auto: Which Rules on the Street?"
    Is your j-frame enough? Glock vs 1911!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KhanRad View Post
    Somehow we federals are given more credit than we disserve. From my personal car shoot experiences, round nosed FMJ bullets tend to deflect quite a bit. My opinion is that he rounded projectile has more of a tendency to rapidly initiate a deflection rather than the sharp leading edge of a JHP. Now, if your Agent friend is using flat point .40S&W or .357sig, then yes I can see a "possible" benefit to using the FMJ as it will retain the same leading edge as a JHP, and be more durable with a solid projectile.

That being said, I have seen no measurable benefit to using any form of FMJ in car shoots. We have shot up usually two cars every few years and we have brought in about a half dozen windshields to lay over the car for additional shots once the previous windshield is shattered beyond usefulness.
    Most of his experience is with 357Sig, so maybe that's where it comes from. I will ask.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Is your j-frame enough? Glock vs 1911!!!
    you know I've always felt that 9mm vs .45 was a question just begging to be answered by a 105 page thread about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    you know I've always felt that 9mm vs .45 was a question just begging to be answered by a 105 page thread about nothing.
    The "Seinfeld" of PF threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Most of his experience is with 357Sig, so maybe that's where it comes from. I will ask.
    Don't bother, it came from his rectal data bank. Like BBI I've shot pistol caliber bullets into cars and FMJ gets shredded by windshield glass. The bullet cores still hit and would have done something, but between that and deflection it was a crap shoot. If your friend is doing this mix and match deal instead of just carrying bonded JHP, he's actually reducing his ability to get hits through glass.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

LOL... "Point shooting or sighted fire? Why target focused shooting is your life saving middle ground." God I should write for the gun rags...
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

User Tag List