Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense : Hollow Point vs FMJ *HANDGUNS ONLY*

Home Defense : Hollow Point vs FMJ *HANDGUNS ONLY*

I came across this video of a trauma surgeon talking about this exact topic and what he has experienced. He provides evidence and goes over how people die from injuries from years of working in trauma.

If you don't have time to watch the video, I can try to sum it up, but I HIGHLY suggest you watch the video if you are currently using Hallow Point rounds for home defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXwPtP-KDNk

Penetration > Expansion is what he sums up, and if you did not see the title, this is for handguns. Need not worry if you are shooting rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepig View Post
    I came across this video of a trauma surgeon talking about this exact topic and what he has experienced. He provides evidence and goes over how people die from injuries from years of working in trauma.

If you don't have time to watch the video, I can try to sum it up, but I HIGHLY suggest you watch the video if you are currently using Hallow Point rounds for home defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXwPtP-KDNk

Penetration > Expansion is what he sums up, and if you did not see the title, this is for handguns. Need not worry if you are shooting rifles.
    I like that most of the solid JHP hits I've seen still have bullets on the XRAY film (lodged in the spine or whatever), or they don't go far (perps clothing) when they DO exit. Why have secondary hazards without necessity? Pick a round that does 12-16" in gel and call it good, IMO.

The most often cited reason people use FMJ's is because "JHP's can fail". Well...no shit. Nothing is infallible. But when it fails...it's still the best an FMJ could ever hope to be. (This is provided you aren't using something like a frangible or 125gr non-bonded JHP in a .357 magnum or something).

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Penetration > Expansion is what he sums up...
    This is why the list above prioritizes rounds the way it does.

I have JHPs in my Glock. They will penetrate just fine.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Modern JHP rounds (gold dots/ hst) penetrate to the recommended standards for incapacitation. FMJs suck agaianst people and they also will over penetrate the building you occupy. I know your a new member and I'm trying to say this in a nice way, spend more time reading then starting threads. A great place to start for this topic is in the ammunition category, Doc Roberts has a lot of great info in there.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 04-25-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Ball ammo sucks, there's a reason everyone everywhere uses JHPs.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

..but I HIGHLY suggest you watch the video if you are currently using Hallow Point rounds for home defense.
    And I HIGHLY suggest you read what has been shared for Dr Gary K Roberts, possibly the worlds foremost terminal ballistics expert since the passing of Martin L Fackler.

There's a science to this, it turns out......and what works is known.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I mostly skipped through the video, but did not find anything that would lead to the recommendation of FMJ use over JHP use in handguns for home defense. Overall, the information presented seemed to correspond quite well with what Dr. Roberts has posted, actually, in terms of the mechanisms of injury for firearms, at least those that allow for medical intervention (which rules out CNS hits).

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    And I HIGHLY suggest you read what has been shared for Dr Gary K Roberts...
    This. As an amateur shooter at best, I sort of like the fact that p-f has softened a bit and allows for more grist for the mill talk among the population, at least for many topics. But this ammo thing? I think GKR has the discussion pretty much sewn up. To be clear, I am always open to new evidence as it comes up, but I'll probably put more priority on the same if the evidence also happens to come from GKR.

A good friend of mine who is a Federal Agent says there is one advantage to FMJ in self-defense or VIP protection: They go straight through a window/windshield whereas hollow points will change trajectory wildly and tumble the bullet. He likes to load every other round HP-FMJ-HP-FMJ. He has also tried a spare mag with FMJ, but he says stuff happens way to fast to consider a mag change when a windshield shot is needed. But then again he is doing VIP protection most of the time, so the situation is a bit different than normal. But may not be a bad idea in some cases.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List