Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BATFE reverses itself again re: shouldering pistol braces

Options, as always, are good to have. "Incidental, sporadic or situational use" is still some use and it is a good thing to see the ATF acknowledge that a pistol should not and cannot magically become a rifle as a result of placing any part of it against any certain part of your body.
    Instagram @JuryTrialJedi

So... 3 weeks before they change their mind with everyone writing asking if it's okay the shoulder their braces now?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I don't have a dog in this hunt as I only have .22 LR rifles and Dad's M1, but can someone explain to me, whats the point? Whats the advantage of a shorter barrel for a rifle - doesn't that make it very not accurate and kick more? This is not a criticism but a question.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 04-25-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    you know how I know you're gay?

you put a "brace" on your "pistol" to try and get around having to comply with the law for an SBR and then try to deny that this is, in fact, exactly what you're doing.
    The SBR law is gay, not the guy trying to eliminate the need for putting his name on a registry and paying $200 in taxes in the name of "safety and security"

Kinda shows where your priorities lie.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I don't have a dog in this hunt as I only have .22 LR rifles and Dad's M1, but can someone explain to me, whats the point? Whats the advantage of a shorter barrel for a rifle - doesn't that make it very not accurate and kick more?
    Maneuverability in tight quarters. I personally don't see any benefit other than that for a 5.56 and arguments can be made for detriments. 300 Blackout is a little different story as the cartridge was designed with SBR's in mind. It also lends pistol calibers (up to specific barrel lengths depending on caliber and load) a little more zip and accuracy.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I don't have a dog in this hunt as I only have .22 LR rifles and Dad's M1, but can someone explain to me, whats the point? Whats the advantage of a shorter barrel for a rifle - doesn't that make it very not accurate and kick more? This is not a criticism but a question.
    SBR can be quite accurate. Accuracy didn't generally come from barrel length. Velocity does, so your max range before the projectile comes back through the sound barrier and gets kind of goofy will be less. The right projectile with the right twist rate and you can have a very stable projectile, admittedly for a shorter range. When you compare a 16" with RDS vs an 11" with RDS the accuracy potential is not limited by the barrel length but rather by the sighting device.

An SBR is easier to maneuver, somewhat lighter and when u add a can they are the same length as a carbine. Makes it easier to use for SD and such.

Another draw is that you can carry a loaded pistol in your car. You can't do that with a rifle in a number of states.

Thanks. My SD plan is to sit behind the bed and throw wiener dogs at the problem (they say only 8 pigs are needed to eat a man in thirty minutes, but they don't tell you that four wiener dogs can do the same job in seven minutes!), so this is enlightening.

Another draw is that you can carry a loaded pistol in your car. You can't do that with a rifle in a number of states.
    Interesting. I am from Texas where, until recently, it was easier to have a rifle or shotgun.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 04-25-2017 at 04:23 PM.

My biggest gripe with complying with the rules for an SBR, compared to the rules for handguns, is that the main reason I would want one is for traveling, and though I live in the large state of Texas, a significant portion of my road trips head toward a border less than 100 miles away, and can then cross multiple state lines. Traveling with a handgun is much simpler, as there is no need to notify the BATFEman, and loaded handguns inside vehicles are legal far more places than loaded rifles inside vehicles. (I have yet to buy/build an AR pistol; my current favored traveling handgun is a GP100.)

For home defense, my long gun of choice, at most such moments in time, is probably going to be a shotgun, but my BCM 16" Lightweight Middy is plenty handy enough.

I do have one specific role for an SBR. If I can manage to get into one of the too-few patrol rifle training/certification classes, and renew my lapsed certification to carry a patrol rifle, my chief will let me carry an SBR AR15. (Well, it was the prior chief that enacted the rule, and the present chief, of Left Coast origin, has not yet rescinded that rule, anyway.) The Tahoe that I usually drive has plenty of room to get a full-length rifle from the rack, but the newer Ford Explorer-based vehicles are much less roomy. Realistically, I am dreaming; it is very difficult to get enrolled in one of the patrol carbine classes; I will probably retire first. I have requested, in writing, that short-barreled shotguns be similarly OK'ed, but I am not holding my breath.

I would not be allowed to qual with an AR pistol. My future AR pistol project may be a retirement gift for myself.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-25-2017 at 05:14 PM.

From a lawyer friend (see attached image)

"Still wouldn't risk it. Remember what the ATF says is just their opinion. Final say is with court. We learned that with Abrimski decision. Read to end. Those 'pistols' sure look like an SBR to me"

My take: ATF may or may not charge you. Once charged, the Courts interpret, not ATF.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List