Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Khukuris

Interesting...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Blues, Great post. Is there a company you'd recommend for a Khuri purchase? I've wanted one for a long time, but was always reticent about quality. Thanks.
    I'd go with Himalayan Imports if you want a more "traditional" style. I have the 15-inch Ang Khola that I picked up for about $75 back in 2002 or so (it was a less-than-perfect sale that Uncle Bill posted on the forums back then). I just pulled it back out of my tool storage yesterday (I recently moved, and still unpacking a little), and that sucker is still looking great, sharp as expected, tough as hell, and a fantastic cutter. And all that after many years of abuse of chopping and cutting in my Army days. Makes a fantastic "machete" and even a small shovel when necessary.

And that "less-than-perfect" part? A small line in the brass finish on the pommel. That's it. Nothing wrong with the functionality of the blade or handle.

If I run into a need for another Kukuri, I'll probably get the Chiruwa Ang Khola - slightly thicker blade (1/2" vs. 3/8"), and and inch or two longer. I only picked up the 15" because that deal came at just the right time and at a beautiful price.

Another thumbs up here for Himalayan Imports. I have 4 different Khuks all from them, and back in the day when Bill Martino was still alive. Great blades that are affordable and they actually provide a decent living for an absurdly poor community in Nepal.

There is not "a" Khukri. There are a number of different styles. The Ang Khola or the WW2 models are excellent choppers, the Sirupati and Hanumans are better "figthers", and the British Army Service is probably the best general purpose version.

The JKM is not a khukri but a general purpose knife made by the same forge and is another terrific utility blade - really good as a backwoods belt knife.

The quality on every single one I have seen is functionally great. Maybe not the prettiest at times, but rugged as hell, and takes a good edge, and is easy to resharpen.

Man, I have not bought one in 15 years. And now I have the itch.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Another thumbs up here for Himalayan Imports. I have 4 different Khuks all from them, and back in the day when Bill Martino was still alive. Great blades that are affordable and they actually provide a decent living for an absurdly poor community in Nepal.

There is not "a" Khukri. There are a number of different styles. The Ang Khola or the WW2 models are excellent choppers, the Sirupati and Hanumans are better "figthers", and the British Army Service is probably the best general purpose version.

The JKM is not a khukri but a general purpose knife made by the same forge and is another terrific utility blade - really good as a backwoods belt knife.

The quality on every single one I have seen is functionally great. Maybe not the prettiest at times, but rugged as hell, and takes a good edge, and is easy to resharpen.

Man, I have not bought one in 15 years. And now I have the itch.
    So true, Cecil. The BAS is probably my favorite all around khuk in terms of its do everything character.

I don't know if you were around back then but the JKM was named for James Mattis (like the current cabinet member) who was a true and good gentle soul from the midwest who operated "Chai Cutlery". He died well before his time and is greatly missed by all who had the good fortune to know him.

I had one of the original JKM's from HI which I gifted to another good soul in Austria, and a handful of other pocketknives and puukkos I purchased from James during those early years of bladeforums. Gone but never forgotten...just like Uncle Bill.
    Last edited by blues; 04-25-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    So true, Cecil. The BAS is probably my favorite all around khuk in terms of its do everything character.

I don't know if you were around back then but the JKM was named for James Mattis (like the current cabinet member) who was a true and good gentle soul from the midwest who operated "Chai Cutlery". He died well before his time and is greatly missed by all who had the good fortune to know him.

I had one of the original JKM's from HI which I gifted to another good soul in Austria, and a handful of other pocketknives and puukkos I purchased from James during those early years of bladeforums. Gone but never forgotten...just like Uncle Bill.
    I was on then and communicated numerous times with Bill, and enjoyed reading Mattis' comments. Always so informed and helpful. And Uncle Bill was a genuinely decent human being.

What a tragedy when they both left this world.It has been so long since I was on the HI forum and I can't remember, but was it Mattis who died just a few days before Bill? All I can recall was that it was one of the long time members that everyone was mourning and then we got the horrible news that Bill went too.

The BAS is usually what I tell the first time buyer to get.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 04-25-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Another dear friend who walked west was Yvsa Gigagei. I spoke with Yvsa and emailed with him regularly but never had the pleasure of visiting with him in person. His spirit lives on in all who knew him.

I can't remember the timing...but I'm sure James when first followed by Bill. It was certainly a blow. I'd see James at the Blade Show in Atlanta and Uncle Bill the one time we had a little mini get together in Ft. Lauderdale.

Seems like a long time now. I've been on that site since the middle to late 90's, even before Spark took over from Mike Turber.
    Last edited by blues; 04-25-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Sigh. My wallet hates you all.

I like Khukuris but I've never owned one. The closest I've got is this obvious descendant of the Khukuri, the UUK:

Name:  Mine UUK.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  28.8 KB

More info here.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 04-25-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm starting to feel like I need to buy one of those...
    dooooooooo eeeeeet

Three quick Gurhkas/Khukuri related items, then I'm off to drool on HI's website:

1. My wife's unit in Hawaii would give them as Farewell gifts, her CSM waited till she and I were at the airport to present it to her. His "excuse" was that the plaque wasn't ready...later confessed that the officers requested that he wait b/c they were afraid she'd use it on a couple of them.
    2. Unit formally known as Central Identification Lab - Hawaii (MIA recovery unit, can't think of name off the top of my head) ordered a number of them from Nepal direct and issued them to recovery teams in SEA. Much preferred over issued machete at the time (1998-2005).
    3. Wife was deployed to East Timor (1999) under Australian command. Aussies requested Gurhkas from Nepal/UK to assist. Gurhkas got off plane in bush shorts and long sleeve shirts with small rucks (carrying FALs hadn't switched to SAR). When they patrolled to small villages they would bribe local kids (with chocolate bars) to run into village yelling "Gurhkas are coming" (in Indonesian or local dialect)...militias would leave stack of weapons in village square with sign "No Militia, go West Timor (Indonesia)" Apparently after their first encounter with the militias they developed a reputation....jumping out of raw sewage filled canal and taking several militia heads will do that....

User Tag List