Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Khukuris

Here are my 3 from Himalayan Imports.

Himalayan Imports also has excellent customer service and I couldn't recommend them enough if you are looking for a Khukri. When I ordered the Kobra the USPS decided to misplace it for awhile. I contacted HI and they had lost the tracking information. So HI sent me a second Kobra out the same day I contacted them. Well come to find out the first one the USPS misplaced finally arrived a month or so later. I contacted HI and they gave me the sale price on the second one they had sent me as a replacement. Great people to deal with!

As a side note I'd stay away from the horn handles if someone is looking pick one of these up, as they develop cracks pretty easily.

Kobras
    Name:  HI Khukri lowres.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  101.3 KB
    Tin Chirra -normally don't post business pic's here but took it from our instagram and we're a site sponsor
    Name:  khukri rng lowres.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  48.0 KB
    Owner of Ryker Nylon Gear - Ryker Nylon Gear Facebook

Name:  Gorkhas.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  37.5 KB

"Gorkha Infantry Soldier..."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

A couple years ago I read an account of a former Mil PSC who was working overseas with some Gurkas and as a student of the blade he asked for some instruction on their combat technique with the khukri. The Gurka obliged by raising it high over his head and swinging it down, then again, and again, and again.

I've got a beat to HELL old Cold Steel Light Khukri I'll have to get pic of and post. It's a master chopper.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Um...does the above post come out in three fonts for everyone else or am I not fully recovered from this three-day bender yet?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Looks normal to me...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I had the pleasure of supervising some Ghurkas while working for DynCorp. Great group of guys. 20% of the bitching, 200% of the work vs supervising Americans. I did learn the British trained consider themselves a cut above the Indian trained (perhaps a generational issue, the British guys were older), and to not intermingle them if it could be avoided. Do that, and bitching was even more minimal.

Gurkhas, Gorkhas, Ghoorkas

A few images from the above referenced link...well worth visiting.

Name:  gurk2.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  gurk4.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  gurk7.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  55.6 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

"...was never among them during an action, but I was once privileged to watch, from a distance, a company of them attack a Japanese position. There was a Highland unit to their left, advancing at that slow, steady 110 paces per minute tread which used to be the trademark of the kilted regiments; the Gurkhas were trotting to keep up, little green figures with bush hats at a rakish angle, each man with his rifle at the trail in his left hand and his drawn kukri in his right. The Highlanders accelerated suddenly, but any noise they made was drowned by the earsplitting scream of the little hillmen going like demented dwarves, brandishing their knives as they scampered into the trees – and I was profoundly glad I was not Japanese. One of the Highlanders told me later…that they found the ground outside the position littered with Gurkha rifles. Most had gone in with kukris alone."
    George Macdonald Fraser - Quartered Safe Out Here, describing the battle of Pryawbe, Burma, 1945
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 04-25-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I've always wondered...
    What (if any) is the significance of the small notch in the blade ahead of the handle?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

My understanding is that it symbolic of a portion of the female anatomy; I think it has something to do with Kali, but I don't know. I imagine Blues, or maybe a Googler, will show up shortly...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I've always wondered...
    What (if any) is the significance of the small notch in the blade ahead of the handle?
    It's very controversial. I remember "Uncle Bill" Martino (the late owner of Himalayan Imports) discussing it when I met him in FL years ago and online.

People have attributed all kinds of significance but apparently the true meaning has been lost to history.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List