Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Khukuris

Khukuris

Chuck Haggard brought up a story in a thread earlier this evening regarding the legendary Gurkhas and their khukuris.

These are some Nepali khukuris I've accumulated over the years which were handmade by the kamis, (khukuri makers) associated with Himalayan Imports, generally of forged 1060 steel. The handles are generally horn or wood and the scabbards are wood covered in buffalo hide.

Please feel free to add your own images of khukuris you may wish to share. The following link will take you to thumbnails of the images (most of which, regrettably, are old and not of high quality).

Khukuris
    Last edited by blues; 04-24-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Blues, Great post. Is there a company you'd recommend for a Khuri purchase? I've wanted one for a long time, but was always reticent about quality. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    This thread would be ~1031% more awesome if the images were embedded in the OP.
    Tom, some of 'em are .bmp as well as .jpg format and when I tried to load 'em directly from my chromebook to the post the files exceeded the allowable size.

I didn't have time to load each one and then get a link from the hosting site. Apologies.
    Last edited by blues; 04-24-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Blues, Great post. Is there a company you'd recommend for a Khuri purchase? I've wanted one for a long time, but was always reticent about quality. Thanks.
    Yes. Great khuks. Great people. Supports the work and livelihood of some worthy souls.

Himalayan Imports

Himalayan Imports Forum
    Last edited by blues; 04-24-2017 at 08:51 PM.

I gave my last khukri to #1 Daughter- it has been her favorite birthday-cake serving knife for over 20 years now. Granddaughter got to use in March for her 8th birthday.
    (It was one of the crappier finished ones, the scabbard was dyed with ink. I tossed the two little knives that were with it as they rusted in the sheath.) Probably made from worn out bus leaf spring steel with a horn grip and brass pommel & guard. It *will* keep an edge and has felled a few christmas trees as well as birthday cakes.

Ah, found the pic:

Name:  w_kukri.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  52.9 KB

My grandfather had an issue kukhri obtained from a Ghurkha in a blade swap during the Korean War; but a cousin pilfered it after grandpa's passing.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 04-24-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Thank you, Tom. That was kind of you to do.

Never been a fan of traditional kukri's, though I am sure the kukri linked in the above posts is worth it, just not something I'd probably spring for:
    http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/m431.html

Kabar has a kukri which is made by Reinhardt, that isn't bad

and of course cold steel has a kukri that is like $20 on amazon..

no links provided as it gives Tom the ability to post them for PF.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

you people are making me work today...
    Thanks Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I gave my last khukri to #1 Daughter- it has been her favorite birthday-cake serving knife for over 20 years now. Granddaughter got to use in March for her 8th birthday.
    (It was one of the crappier finished ones, the scabbard was dyed with ink. I tossed the two little knives that were with it as they rusted in the sheath.) Probably made from worn out bus leaf spring steel with a horn grip and brass pommel & guard. It *will* keep an edge and has felled a few christmas trees as well as birthday cakes.

My grandfather had an issue kukhri obtained from a Ghurkha in a blade swap during the Korean War; but a cousin pilfered it after grandpa's passing.
    Priceless image and stories, Lex. Thanks for sharing, brother.

you people are making me work today...

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List