Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA Carry Guard?

NRA Carry Guard?

Interesting to see NRA move towards tactical training. A three day training course involving tactics, low light, and force on force scenarios is a considerable jump from NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting. A number of recognizable names on the list of Endorsers, including Ken Hackathorn, Pat McNamara, Bill Rogers, Clint Smith, and Larry Vickers. Anyone have insight into the training curriculum and standards?

NRA Carry Guard | Endorsers

What is NRA Carry Guard training?

The NRA Carry Guard program was created to be the gold standard in concealed carry training and to prepare responsible citizens who legally carry to effectively confront today’s evolving conflict environment. It was developed by elite military veterans in conjunction with law enforcement experts. It consists of three levels of training with Level One launching in June 2017.

While the courses are open to anyone who legally owns a handgun, this training may not be for everyone. It is designed for those who take carrying seriously—people who want to be more proficient shooters so they can carry concealed with greater confidence. It is for people who know it takes more than a gun to be well-armed, and who understand that carrying every day requires discipline, education and a respectful appreciation of the magnitude of drawing the gun from the holster.

The three-day program is based on the concept that “the best do the basics better” and focus on fundamentals on the range. Then those fundamentals are applied to real-life CCW situations, self-defense tactics and techniques, low-light shooting, force-on-force Air Soft scenarios and more. Students are evaluated on a course of fire where only a passing score earns eligibility to move to the next level—there are no participation certificates.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Education is absolutely paramount to shifting public perception. Especially in the 2A CCW community.

Imagine that every single messed up CCW shoot you've seen in the last few years had never happened. How far that would go? Imagine if every shoot was not only good, but negative media coverage was impossible. Those are dreams, but this type of mainstream training which is absolutely required to get us closer to that goal.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Interesting. Does this have any relation to the NRA "disinviting" the US Concealed Carry Association from the NRA national meetings ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Interesting. Does this have any relation to the NRA "disinviting" the US Concealed Carry Association from the NRA national meetings ?
    Many suspect this is the EXACT reason the USCCA was uninvited. NRA is taking flak for it too, and rightly so if it's true.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

If it is the reason the USCCA was disinvited to the annual meeting, then shame on the NRA. Despite the recent change in fortune for those of us who are Pro 2nd Amendment, I think it's a huge mistake for the NRA, or any othe pro-gun organization for that matter, to do anything that might cause division amongst gun owners. 2016 only gave us a bit of breathing room, the argument is far from settled and those that want us to take away our rights are still working to do just that. Eating our own doesn't help.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    If it is the reason the USCCA was disinvited to the annual meeting, then shame on the NRA. Despite the recent change in fortune for those of us who are Pro 2nd Amendment, I think it's a huge mistake for the NRA, or any othe pro-gun organization for that matter, to do anything that might cause division amongst gun owners. 2016 only gave us a bit of breathing room, the argument is far from settled and those that want us to take away our rights are still working to do just that. Eating our own doesn't help.
    The USSCA are real class acts. They declared that they will support/donate to the NRA's efforts despite the dis-invitation. Nice to see that not everyone is all about the almighty dollar.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

My random observations:

The video of the training on https://www.nracarryguard.com/ looked interesting.

Very clever program. First there is the insurance. For example the Gold level lists a million dollars worth of protection. You have to read it more closely to see that the million dollars is $1 million of civil protection with $150k of criminal. The Bronze lists $250k but the $250k is for civil while it has a $50k limit for criminal. The criminal is the more pressing and more likely need. The Gold plan costs $31.95 a month while the bronze is $13.95 a month.

In looking at the FAQ I noticed that they charge an unspecified administrative fee. The FAQ states "The administrative fee is charged to cover costs associated with the processing and maintenance of your membership." I would bet this administrative fee is separate from the listed monthly fee. Interestingly enough it is not listed--or at least I did not see it listed. This sets off red flags to me.

I would want to see the whole written policy.

The training part lists a three day class with some scenario work with airsoft.

Of course the attendees spoke glowingly of it since it was a promotional video. Also, it looked like for some if not many of them it was their first formal training. And I got the feeling that their training was taught by the some of the Ex-mil guys who are the public faces of the training, not your typical NRA instructor. I imagine that these classes will attract a lot of people who have had little or no training experience, including people who have their guns fresh in their boxes. I would expect that to be a challenge to the instructors. If I were an instructor teaching this class, I would want to have a higher than average number of assistant instructors just because the class is likely to attract more than the average number of new/less experienced shooters. I would also expect the instructors needing to spend a fair amount of time on basics of shooting and safety before they can get up to the carry portion.

They also mentioned that they would offer level two and level three classes, the contents of which are to be released later.

Actually a lot of things about this program are supposed to be released later.

It seems that once someone is an NRA certified instructor you can take a class to be able to become a carryguard instructor. I would guess that it would take a more elaborate setup to teach this carryguard class.
    Also, the basic three day class might seem to be a logistical problem in that NRA instructors typically work full time jobs so teaching the class would necessitate taking a day off, as it would for the students. A two day format would have probably fit in better, but would not have allowed enough time to teach the curriculum that they developed for this course.

I think it's good that this type of training is trying to be offered in a widespread manner, and might attract people otherwise might not avail themselves of it.

I think the execution remains to be seen, and I predict a lot of bumps in the road of something of this scale.

I would also expect that members of this board who have received training from some of the better known qualified trainers would find this Carryguard training to be nothing new and probably basic and even boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Also, the basic three day class might seem to be a logistical problem in that NRA instructors typically work full time jobs so teaching the class would necessitate taking a day off, as it would for the students. A two day format would have probably fit in better, but would not have allowed enough time to teach the curriculum that they developed for this course.
    On that, I think if NRA copied John Murphy's class lineup it'd be able to reach more people. He probably has the best intro-class layout/lineup for the layman. Lots of people even have trouble getting both Saturday and Sunday off between work and family, but the way his courses are structured accommodates such.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

As an NRA member I believe they are the most powerful lobbying organization for our 2A RIGHTS. They have been supporting what we all know to be true, the 2A is Not about sporting or hunting alone, it is about our right to own firearms. I think the NRA has seen the discrepancy in the level of proficiency and training most members have.
    It's ALL about money, and the NRA has more than any other pro gun rights organization and we need a lot of money to fight the anti's. It looks like they have seen the need for more advanced training, and also the income it will generate.
    On the positive side I see a NRA certification for firearms training to be a valuable cert. Lets be honest a lot of people don't take this seriously enough, and the lack of training does not help our cause. A set standard by the NRA would carry a lot of weight. The NRA has the ability to market and provide proper training.
    On the negative side I see the antis trying to use this against the 2A by trying to say that whatever level of training that is currently the standard is not good enough. I believe their goal is total firearm abolishment. I just hope this is not a step closer to more bureaucratic and expensive NRA. I also worry that “Proper Firearms Training” will be used by the antis as a backdoor form of firearms ownership/abolishment in the form of, if you don't have this level of training than you can not own a firearm. They have already implemented this on the State level in many places. One of their favorite arguments is, a driver’s license and registration is required to own and operate a motor vehicle, and it should be as for firearms as well.
    Training is good, proper training is even better. There is quality training available for those interested in seeking and committing to it. I hope that the cost to obtain this level of training is not prohibitive for most people. The type of people that have taken this level of training up to this point are probably financially sound and very motivated and committed. I do not believe this is the majority of the NRA members or firearms owners in general.
    I believe it is foolish to not be properly trained, I however also believe the 2A is not about training, it is our right to own firearms for protection.

The NRA has not released cost and details of the training options but have released three levels of this new program with membership/ insurance…. Included. I am just a little cynical of how its all going to turn out.

Interesting they went with a 24-hour format. Most out here are 16-hours if taught in the private sector.

I would really like to know how they are going address the scenario training and safety concerns.

User Tag List