Thread: Blasting at a steel match

Blasting at a steel match

Video from a recent steel match. I wanted to focus on accuracy over speed and came away an 86% hit rate so I can the match a success.

The finish on that pistol is horrible. I don't know how you can stand it! 😈

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    The finish on that pistol is horrible. I don't know how you can stand it! 😈
    I wear gloves so the finish doesn't come off on my hands.

Participated in my first Steel Match "Practice" tonight

good god am I hooked. ran it 5 times my best time was 7 seconds even. I was using an optic and this is the first time I've ever done this
    being clocked for speed. We can't draw and shoot amy my club , at this club I was at tonight they are big into "competitive shooting"
    so they have dedicated pistol ranges where you can practice this skill.
    I was losing a bit of time "finding the dot" on my draw, once I found it I ripped. First time was almost 10
    seconds , so I got better with each round I did.
    Several of the other guys there were pulling sub 5 second times.....I've got a ways to go, but man oh man what a great way to
    raise your skill level shooting under pressure. A lot of VP9's.....which surprised me , I didn't see one Glock G34 or 17.
    I was using my M&P 9L , gotta say it performed like a champ

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    Video from a recent steel match. I wanted to focus on accuracy over speed and came away an 86% hit rate so I can the match a success.

Is that hit rate total targets divided by total rounds? What was the format of this match?

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Is that hit rate total targets divided by total rounds? What was the format of this match?
    Pretty much. A basic match is 125 rounds if shot perfectly with no Moses. So if I fire 140 my hit percentage is 89%, as an example.

The format is 5 stages, each stage has 5 strings of fire, those strings of fire are usually 5 rounds. Lots of 5s... The slowest of your 5 strings is dropped and the remaining 4 is your stage time. Sometimes option plates are included that are higher difficulty shots but offer a time reduction when hit.

It's funny this thread gets busy 5 months after posting. I've since shot a lot more and better matches. The last match I also shot my M&P Shield and finished with a 95% hit rate, I missed 6 shots in the match.
    Last edited by Sterling Archer; 09-10-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    Pretty much. A basic match is 125 rounds if shot perfectly with no Moses. So if I fire 140 my hit percentage is 89%, as an example.

The format is 5 stages, each stage has 5 strings of fire, those strings of fire are usually 5 rounds. Lots of 5s... The slowest of your 5 strings is dropped and the remaining 4 is your stage time. Sometimes option plates are included that are higher difficulty shots but offer a time reduction when hit.

It's funny this thread gets busy 5 months after posting. I've since shot a lot more and better matches. The last match I also shot my M&P Shield and finished with a 95% hit rate, I missed 6 shots in the match.
    Thanks for the info. My wife and I are dedicated steel challenge shooters. Looks like your match is similar format with the exception of the occasional "option" plate. I wish more nearby clubs had SC or SC-like matches since the distances we have to travel in CA are excessive.

User Tag List