Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Truck Bed Vaults - RFI

I've had a Decked truck bed drawer set up for a little over 3 years. Been very pleased with it. Quite a bit cheaper than the truck vault ones. I think Cabelas carries them now. Got mine locally here in AZ.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    After mind numbing research I'm thinking about a lock box that only takes one side of the bed. Something like this: http://shop-truck-tool-box-com.3dcar...16H_p_32.html#

Is there a consensus on which side of the bed is best? I recall BMW does (did?) install the battery in the right rear of the trunk because it's better to have the weight over the drive wheel. Is that still a thing? On pickups isn't the right rear still the main drive wheel when operating in 2 wheel drive?

Or does it not really matter and I can have it installed on either side without issue? Thanks!
    It probably doesn't matter as much for a truck.

I'll also recommend TufBox drawers while we're on the topic. Not for pickup trucks, but I have one of these currently installed and it works really well.
    http://products.esmet.com/category/t...ecurity-drawer

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I've had a Decked truck bed drawer set up for a little over 3 years. Been very pleased with it. Quite a bit cheaper than the truck vault ones. I think Cabelas carries them now. Got mine locally here in AZ.
    Thanks. They appear to be space age polymer. How resistant to entry do you think they are? How robust is the lock? I'm hoping to get something along the lines of a simplex lock so I don't need a key.

Quote Originally Posted by heyscooter View Post
    It probably doesn't matter as much for a truck.
    Hmm. I was thinking it would matter more for a truck as there's typically not much weight over the rear wheels. I recall about 20 years ago leaving a stop sign on base after a light rain in my Dodge Ram with the 5.7L. I barely touched the throttle and it spun me around almost 360 degrees because the right rear wheel was the only one putting power to the ground.

For a pickup with a cap, not a tonneau cover, I recommend something like this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-32...R-OS/300748555

or this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-48...R-OS/300748574

Having use several different lock boxes in work vehicles over the years, that type is the most secure. The rest are easily defeated by even the most amateur of thieves.

. . . so I don't need a key.
    In the lock box I had in an SUV, that was like the RIGID box I linked above, I used padlocks that had the combo at the bottom of the lock. I too hate carrying and controlling a bunch of keys.

http://www.weatherguard.com/products...ll-out-storage

When I did a lot of field work back in the day, I used one of these bolted down in the bed of the truck. Very heavy duty and weatherproof, even without a bed cover. You can put as much weight on the top of it as you want. The drawer design worked well even with hundreds of pounds of parts in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. They appear to be space age polymer. How resistant to entry do you think they are? How robust is the lock? I'm hoping to get something along the lines of a simplex lock so I don't need a key.
    They use a pretty common pin tumbler lock on each drawer. I don't think Simplex is an option. They're a pretty solid unit, but with the right tools...
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Hmm. I was thinking it would matter more for a truck as there's typically not much weight over the rear wheels. I recall about 20 years ago leaving a stop sign on base after a light rain in my Dodge Ram with the 5.7L. I barely touched the throttle and it spun me around almost 360 degrees because the right rear wheel was the only one putting power to the ground.
    I think it would need to be a decent amount of weight to make that sort of a difference, and the mounting would have to be more aft in the truck bed. I thought what you were looking at was going to be one of those boxes that sits closer to the cab, but reading through the thread maybe not.

I should've prefaced this by saying I am not an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    They use a pretty common pin tumbler lock on each drawer. I don't think Simplex is an option. They're a pretty solid unit, but with the right tools...
    Roger that - thanks! I know nothing is impenetrable given enough time, but I don't want to be fumbling with keys either.

Quote Originally Posted by heyscooter View Post
    I think it would need to be a decent amount of weight to make that sort of a difference, and the mounting would have to be more aft in the truck bed. I thought what you were looking at was going to be one of those boxes that sits closer to the cab, but reading through the thread maybe not.

I should've prefaced this by saying I am not an expert.
    This is a pic from their website of what I was considering:
    I was curious if a box like this one would be better on the right side of the bed than the left as pictured.

I won't use any of the generic lock boxes that are up near the cab. I want something I can access while standing at the rear of the truck. I refuse to have to waste time by climbing up into the bed to access lifesaving equipment. Not just because it's often heavy/awkward and my lower back is FUBAR... but because everyone around can see what I'm digging out or putting into the box. Some of our work trucks are set up that way and it's good for surveillance to look like a contractor or ranch truck. But for accessing stuff it's a horrible setup.

User Tag List