Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd shoot my own dog if it bit a child.
    QFT
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I see no need to get personal. Did you not turn this discussion into debating whether or not it's OK to shoot a child for biting an animal?

Here's what you said:

Furthermore, do you not think you would be sued into financial ruin if you used any type of violence towards a child in public for "harming" a dog unless it was sick, very violent actions by the child towards the animal?
    I think you have me confused with another poster. I was making a joke about someone a person biting my dog. You know...man bites dog?

You are relatively new here, but this topic has come up before and it's always a mess. I don't suspect this thread will be any different, but hope springs eternal.
    Evidently...

To lighten things up:
    Methods to deter random child attacks on your dog.
    *Rolled up newspaper. A time honored tradition, always best used with "NO NO Bad Child!"
    *A water squirter. Often a humane alternative to the rolled up newspaper. ~15% of feral children however will think it is a game. Their laughter and squeeling will typically attract other feral children until you have a hole feral munchkin pack circling you, demanding to be spritzed in turn.
    *Candy. While not an actual deterrance, candy has been proven to be an effective distraction in the past. Throw the candy to the side. When the feral younglings veer off towards the candy you and your canines make a break for it. Also good for Zombies and meter maids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    You are relatively new here, but this topic has come up before and it's always a mess. I don't suspect this thread will be any different, but hope springs eternal.
    These threads are basically pointless drama fountains. No reason to start them, nothing gets done.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

It would be hard but if I had a Shepard/husky like I want and it bit a child it'd be on the table.

There again it all depends on what happened. If some breeder couldn't keep their brat under control they'd surely hear from a lawyer.

These threads suck though because some people think that others treat their dogs like screwdrivers and toss them in the box and others feel that folks treat them like toddlers and throw them costume parties and give them cakes with candles and shit.

Truth is we're all in the middle and the strange hypotheticals won't ever happen so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    These threads are basically pointless drama fountains. No reason to start them, nothing gets done.
    I agree. This is a hot button issue which is unlikely to see a reasonable or unbiased conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    I've had and known dogs in my life that are far better than a lot of the people I've come across.
    Truth. The older I grow the less love I have for the general public and their stupidity.

True story;

About 25 years ago we had an all-black GSD named Shadow, who was well trained and socialized. Being 25 years less wise than I am now, I had taken her to the field where our daughter was playing soccer. Lots of people, lots of noise, lots of kids.

I stayed back from the playing area about 100 yards, but could still see our daughter on the field. I was standing with Shadow sitting next to me on a short leash, taking it all in. Out of the corner of my eye I spot two young kids making a high-speed b-line toward me and Shadow, so I take a step forward to get in front of her. Within seconds they were on us. I held up my hand and in a friendly voice asked them to stop, which they did touching distance away. As they're trying to end-run my block and reach for the dog, their father showed up.

"Can my kids pet your dog?" were the first words out of his mouth in a not-so-friendly tone.

"I'd rather not, at least not right now" was my response, figuring he would just gather his roaming kids and move on. Shadow was still in a sit, ears up and completely silent. I could tell she could sense my uneasiness with the situation.

"They can't pet your dog? Are you telling me the dog is viscous?"

I was caught flat-footed by his comment, and before I could respond he states "that's it, I'm calling the police to report a viscous dog." I was confident he was going to do just that so I immediately left the field and took Shadow home.

As a dog owner I learned an important lesson that day, and have never again taken any of our dogs to a public setting where children are left unattended.

As parental responsibility continues its downward spiral, taking even well-trained and well-behaved dogs into such areas is simply not worth the risk. Poorly supervised children get injured, run over, etc. but in accordance with today's victim mentality, it's always someone else's fault.

As with firearms, the value of training can not be over-stated.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    These threads suck though because some people think that others treat their dogs like screwdrivers and toss them in the box and others feel that folks treat them like toddlers and throw them costume parties and give them cakes with candles and shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's damned funny right there. This topic is going to need more humor before too long.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I think you have me confused with another poster. I was making a joke about someone a person biting my dog. You know...man bites dog?

Evidently...

To lighten things up:
    Methods to deter random child attacks on your dog.
    *Rolled up newspaper. A time honored tradition, always best used with "NO NO Bad Child!"
    *A water squirter. Often a humane alternative to the rolled up newspaper. ~15% of feral children however will think it is a game. Their laughter and squeeling will typically attract other feral children until you have a hole feral munchkin pack circling you, demanding to be spritzed in turn.
    *Candy. While not an actual deterrance, candy has been proven to be an effective distraction in the past. Throw the candy to the side. When the feral younglings veer off towards the candy you and your canines make a break for it. Also good for Zombies and meter maids.
    Ah, I get it now. Cool, my apologies.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    ETA: the reason for teeing up this thread is?
    Fair question - look here.

I thought based on that discussion this one would produce some useful discussion. Please feel free to delete or lock if not.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Truth. The older I grow the less love I have for the general public and their stupidity.

True story;

About 25 years ago we had an all-black GSD named Shadow, who was well trained and socialized. Being 25 years less wise than I am now, I had taken her to the field where our daughter was playing soccer. Lots of people, lots of noise, lots of kids.

I stayed back from the playing area about 100 yards, but could still see our daughter on the field. I was standing with Shadow sitting next to me on a short leash, taking it all in. Out of the corner of my eye I spot two young kids making a high-speed b-line toward me and Shadow, so I take a step forward to get in front of her. Within seconds they were on us. I held up my hand and in a friendly voice asked them to stop, which they did touching distance away. As they're trying to end-run my block and reach for the dog, their father showed up.

"Can my kids pet your dog?" were the first words out of his mouth in a not-so-friendly tone.

"I'd rather not, at least not right now" was my response, figuring he would just gather his roaming kids and move on. Shadow was still in a sit, ears up and completely silent. I could tell she could sense my uneasiness with the situation.

"They can't pet your dog? Are you telling me the dog is viscous?"

I was caught flat-footed by his comment, and before I could respond he states "that's it, I'm calling the police to report a viscous dog." I was confident he was going to do just that so I immediately left the field and took Shadow home.

As a dog owner I learned an important lesson that day, and have never again taken any of our dogs to a public setting where children are left unattended.

As parental responsibility continues its downward spiral, taking even well-trained and well-behaved dogs into such areas is simply not worth the risk. Poorly supervised children get injured, run over, etc. but in accordance with today's victim mentality, it's always someone else's fault.

As with firearms, the value of training can not be over-stated.
    Well, reality is tough. Reality is that if your dog bites a kid, you will pay, and probably the dog too. Doesn't matter about hypotheticals, if the kid had it coming, etc. Reality is tough. Personally, I don't find it hard to train dogs to tolerate children.
    #RESIST

User Tag List