Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Shooting Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd shoot my own dog if it bit a child.
    Sometimes, the kid deserves it. More often than you might think.

My neighbor's grandson tormented their dog, Shiracco, a Lab/Collie mix when he visited. He was warned, many times, by me, by his parents, and grandparents too, when I would walk my dog and pass by. I wouldn't let him near my dog as if my dog bit him, it was going to be a whole different deal than if Grandpa's dog bit him. And he was going to get bit, sooner or later, it was going to happen. I told his dad and grandfather that I just hoped it wasn't going to be a really big dog, or a dog like mine who could amputate fingers easily with a bite. That was a big risk as most of the dogs in our neighborhood, and in the kid's neighborhood, were over 70 pounds. He didn't care, he would hit them, pinch them, slap them, etc. One Sunday afternoon, he finally pushed Shiracco too far, and she nailed him, right under his right eye, where dogs bite if they want to send the message, "STOP IT!". And that's what that bite did. It woke him up, and even though he has a permanent scar to this day on his cheek, he learned his lesson and stopped doing all the dumb stuff he used to do to dogs before he got bit. Today, he's a doctor.

He's not the only kid I've seen that got bit after having close calls and being warned, etc. My own dog was about as mild mannered as they come, but one of those kids that didn't get it decided to walk up to him, grab him by the neck and give him a headlock type of hug. He snarled in a way, and gave her a look that made it clear the kid shouldn't be doing that. Even after that scare, the kid kept doing stuff like that, and about two weeks later, she had stitches under her left eye and in her arm. She learned the wrong way too. She's a Vet now, so getting bit didn't traumatize her too much.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The only dog that's ever bit me was an American cocker spaniel. He was our neighbor's dog, about two years old, and I'd known him since the day they brought him home. Played together all the time. I was petting him, and hit a particular spot on the back of his neck, just ahead of his shoulder blades. He turned and bit my hand.

Had another friend in college whose family dog was an American cocker. His mom was petting it one day, and hit the same spot. But she wasn't so lucky. She was holding the dog in her arms, and when it turned and snapped, it bit her face, nearly taking an eye. Unbelievably, with his mom's face permanently scarred, they still had the dog years later.

I would never have an American cocker in the house.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post
    Sometimes, the kid deserves it. More often than you might think.

My neighbor's grandson tormented their dog, Shiracco, a Lab/Collie mix when he visited. He was warned, many times, by me, by his parents, and grandparents too, when I would walk my dog and pass by. I wouldn't let him near my dog as if my dog bit him, it was going to be a whole different deal than if Grandpa's dog bit him. And he was going to get bit, sooner or later, it was going to happen. I told his dad and grandfather that I just hoped it wasn't going to be a really big dog, or a dog like mine who could amputate fingers easily with a bite. That was a big risk as most of the dogs in our neighborhood, and in the kid's neighborhood, were over 70 pounds. He didn't care, he would hit them, pinch them, slap them, etc. One Sunday afternoon, he finally pushed Shiracco too far, and she nailed him, right under his right eye, where dogs bite if they want to send the message, "STOP IT!". And that's what that bite did. It woke him up, and even though he has a permanent scar to this day on his cheek, he learned his lesson and stopped doing all the dumb stuff he used to do to dogs before he got bit. Today, he's a doctor.

He's not the only kid I've seen that got bit after having close calls and being warned, etc. My own dog was about as mild mannered as they come, but one of those kids that didn't get it decided to walk up to him, grab him by the neck and give him a headlock type of hug. He snarled in a way, and gave her a look that made it clear the kid shouldn't be doing that. Even after that scare, the kid kept doing stuff like that, and about two weeks later, she had stitches under her left eye and in her arm. She learned the wrong way too. She's a Vet now, so getting bit didn't traumatize her too much.
    Snout-biting is a correction adult/alpha dogs use to tell puppies and pack members they are out of line (see picture below). Fortunately we were able to train our beasts that it's not ok to bite kids, even when they deserve it. One time a dog-torturing little boy yanked our male's tail, and got a snarling mouthful of teeth in his face--but no bite. Kid peed his pants and cried. (Not sure if he learned not to hurt dogs though).

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-03-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List