Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Though I came from a suburban life style, I can certainly understand your need to maintain some emotional separation from the animals in your charge. I'm not sure I'd be up to that task.
    Having kids helps, but the upbringing makes this a necessity.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    When we rescued our Weimaraner with his big webbed feet we thought he'd be a natural swimmer. Turns out, not so much. He liked walking along the water's edge but didn't care to swim. Go figure.
    I am glad our Bella does not like to get in the water, as we have big alligators down here. Our other dogs will hit the water joyfully, but while losing the other dogs would sadden me, losing Bella would devastate me. (Yes, Bella is an over-used cliche' name, but she already answered to it when we got her.) Plus, her thick GSD coat takes forever to dry.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-29-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    Buddy of mine shot a dog that was chasing his cattle. His neighbors (just moved to the country from the big city) came over to complain about the fate of their beloved dog. They claimed that's why they moved to the country, so their dog could roam. My buddy, in a dead pan tone of voice, exclaimed 'all I can say is you didn't buy enough "country" '.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Ranch / Farm rules on how I grew up. Any animal deemed nuisance as in a threat to people, crop or livestock it may be in jeopardy. We try to warn owners if possible, but if the situation warrants immediate action, there is no warning. Our newest cattle dogs (just learning) one of them got free and chased around the neighbors cattle. The neighbor called my father who went over latter to apologize as we have great relationships. My father told the other rancher that he would do everything to avoid this from happening again, but if by some reason the dog showed up again bothering his cattle, that he understood.

For myself at my new property there were a pack of 5 pits / mix hunting dogs that had gone wild and were terrorizing locals for a long time. They killed 30 of my chickens as well as neighbors birds, goats and rabbits. They are not only a danger to animals but to people especially kids. Its took 2 years but those dogs are no longer a problem and I don't make my son (13yrs) carry a gun everywhere on the property now.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I've been nipped at by Labs only. I've never personally had a problem with pits, but I've twice seen pits looking for a dog fight and attempting to provoke them; one came at my Malinois and I, the Mal (being a Mal) hit the pit at about Warp 9 speed, the pit was not prepared for that (I'm well aware that the pit has stronger jaws, but ferocity counts), and we withdrew from the dog park. As we left, I saw the pit resume making the rounds, looking for a fight.
    2 of my neighbors pits broke out of their kennel (yes, they were neglected) and tore through my fencing to get at my Mal. It was a hell of a fight and I was involved. Admittedly the pits were more interested in my dog than in me but I was taking cracks also. As tough, strong and relentless of a drive in my Mal (he was going to fight to the death with me) with one dog on his hind leg, left him vulnerable and the other got him by the neck. Good thing the fight ended up near my vehicle and I popped the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    People look like their dogs.
    Yep, we are both grey in our beards. Two old beat up dogs.

I love dogs and will always have one, but given my Wyoming cattle ranch upbringing, was always a little calloused compared to most on them. Having kids has only exacerbated that. I've had to shoot dogs and I've had to shoot horses. The latter was worse for me.
    Father grew up in WV as hunters and farmers as in putting food on the table. I too grew up similar in fashion with working dogs / pets. Had to put a few down, my own and others. Always pained me. I absolutely love dogs and horses, glad I have never had to put down a horse.

Though I came from a suburban life style, I can certainly understand your need to maintain some emotional separation from the animals in your charge. I'm not sure I'd be up to that task.
    It is a necessity, or maybe that isn't the right word, but rather the way things are in some lifestyles. Both in my farming / ranch type of upbringing and in my professional life, dogs or other animals have a working purpose and emotional connection. However out of necessity one must be able to do the right things no matter the emotion. My kids on the other hand were not raised in the same manner as I was and they like to name the animals. All of the animals. But they are getting more educated as they grow and understand that lifestyle more despite not being raised in that environment.

Surf, great post.

I think a major take-away of this thread is an appreciation of the diversity of human lifestyle and the adaptations we must make to accommodate them. I've been fortunate to have lived a life that did not include any serious confrontations with dogs, and the fact that all of our dogs have been pets - not working dogs - has certainly colored my perceptions.

FWIW, my wife and I are involved with a dog rescue organization here in NH, and are constantly reminded that it is through the neglect of humans that so many dogs suffer unfortunate fates. We put a very tiny, inconsequential dent in the problem - but a gratifying one.

Surf, great post.

I think a major take-away of this thread is an appreciation of the diversity of human lifestyle and the adaptations we must make to accommodate them. I've been fortunate to have lived a life that did not include any serious confrontations with dogs, and the fact that all of our dogs have been pets - not working dogs - has certainly colored my perceptions.

FWIW, my wife and I are involved with a dog rescue organization here in NH, and are constantly reminded that it is through the neglect of humans that so many dogs suffer unfortunate fates. We put a very tiny, inconsequential dent in the problem - but a gratifying one.
    Have you had children?
    #RESIST

Have you had children?
    Oh man, you'll be sorry now! ;-)

Our oldest child is now 36, who lives in NY with his wife and our only grand daughter. They have an old GSD they rescued when she was about eight years old, who has so far (thankfully) been great with our grand daughter.

The older of our two daughters is 32 and married, she and her husband work in NYC. They have a French Bulldog who is their only "child" (at least for now).

Our youngest is 29, a RN at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Em and her Blake 12 ICU coworkers received and cared for victims of the 2013 marathon bombing, which was quite an experience for her (and my wife and I too). We got to know the man she cared for - Marc Fucarile - through her care of him for time he spent at Mass Gen.

Edit - Em did indeed run and complete the 2014 Marathon. In his wheelchair Marc greeted her at the finish line and asked "what took you so long?" Through tragedy, amazing relationships formed.

Our greatest blessing in life has been our three children, their collective success and our relationship with them. Even though my wife and I are in NH, we get to see them all quite regularly. :-)
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 04-30-2017 at 08:11 AM.

I've been around GSDs since I could walk, my family's dog of choice. From that upbringing I've developed a huge fondness for dogs, particularly GSDs of course. I've never had any issues out of any of them, save one incident.

When I was about 10, my folks were trying to sell our house as we were buying a new one. This couple in their late 40s/early 50s comes out one day and pokes about, but as they leave our white-colored male nips the woman. He gets a bit of a beating and quarantined to ensure he isn't rabid. Thankfully no rabies, and I don't think the couple pressed charges or anything of that nature.

Later on, we're pretty sure we figured out why our dog bit the woman. During the couple's tour of our home, the woman asked to use the bathroom and we directed her to the guest one. My grandmother, who was living with us at the time, had left some earrings on the counter which mysteriously disappeared after the couple's visit.

Good boy.

I have high affections for my dogs, but don't go overboard like some folks do as considering them people. I wouldn't hesitate to put one down were it necessary, though it would certainly pain me.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I've been around GSDs since I could walk, my family's dog of choice. From that upbringing I've developed a huge fondness for dogs, particularly GSDs of course. I've never had any issues out of any of them, save one incident.

When I was about 10, my folks were trying to sell our house as we were buying a new one. This couple in their late 40s/early 50s comes out one day and pokes about, but as they leave our white-colored male nips the woman. He gets a bit of a beating and quarantined to ensure he isn't rabid. Thankfully no rabies, and I don't think the couple pressed charges or anything of that nature.

Later on, we're pretty sure we figured out why our dog bit the woman. During the couple's tour of our home, the woman asked to use the bathroom and we directed her to the guest one. My grandmother, who was living with us at the time, had left some earrings on the counter which mysteriously disappeared after the couple's visit.

Good boy.

I have high affections for my dogs, but don't go overboard like some folks do as considering them people. I wouldn't hesitate to put one down were it necessary, though it would certainly pain me.
    You never really know for sure what any dog will do. When I was a kid a neighbor a building or two over had a Boxer which he invited me to pet.
    It was a hot summer day and my foot accidentally tapped the Dixie-cup with water set on the sidewalk for the dog to drink from.

Dog bit me on the right wrist, (still have a faint scar), and scared the bezeezus out of me. (I was maybe 6 or 7 years old.) Had a distrust of Boxers for many years afterward though I've always had a natural affinity for dogs. (Our current rescue is a Boxer / Staffie mix.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Notably, usually smaller dogs are more aggressive than larger ones. A friend of mine from high school who helps train working dogs and does bite work has observed and heard from other trainers about this tendency.

I've had lots of encounters with the breeds most folks associate with as aggressive, the most they've done is licked me half to death. Then there's this chihuahua near my house that used to run at me and my wife when we would go for walks, who came close to being punted in to the nearby lake on several occasions.

I've had folks who were scared of the Husky I used to have (had to put him down for age). That dog would wander up to anyone and flop over for a belly rub.

ETA: A buddy of mine who works for the local PD had to answer a call to a stop'n'rob one day for a pit bull outside the store, the callers stating the dog was basically holding them inside. My buddy shows up, gets to the dog and it's the friendliest thing ever.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 04-30-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I have high affections for my dogs, but don't go overboard like some folks do as considering them people.
    Canines are obviously not homo sapiens but they form relationships with humans that are truly unique in the natural world;

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/348/6232/333

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...76635714000473

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/...ole-our-hearts

Cliff Notes to the above - through the study of hormones and the use of MRI brain scans, these studies suggest that domesticated canines form emotional bonds with their owners, including oxytocin feedback loops - the same that human mothers and their newborn experience.

Of course, there is abundant evidence that supports the amazing extent of this unique bond as well. Because of this, perhaps thinking of our dogs more as "canine family members" isn't so over-the-top after all.

User Tag List