Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Dogs

About the only time I've put my hand on my grip "for real" was with our neighbor across the way in our old house.

It seems he had three Rottweilers, and liked to herd two of them into his truck without a lead when he went to work. Sometimes they got loose and wandered the neighborhood. The other guy was kept in the back yard. My only exposure to him was a very deep seated growl when I would walk my mini-Schnauzer on the sidewalk on his side.

One day one of them surprised me in my yard as I was walking to the truck. I was a bit shook, and backed into the house with a master grip on my pistol. We called the cops because this just wasn't right. Saw a squad visit the house within 5 minutes for about an hour.

Not sure what the deal was with this guy, but apparently from other folks in the neighborhood, this guy lets this happen a lot.

Reflecting on the incident, I am not sure what would have triggered a shoot reaction from me. I honestly wasn't sure which Rottie it was, but I chose to back off on my own property, and inform law enforcement about it.

If I was caught on my property, with no available physical barrier, and had a large aggressive breed display hostility in front of me (focus on me, teeth bare, deep growl, large physically aggressive dog) I would go to low ready and try to slowly back up. I think a 'shoot' decision would be movement towards me, either a lunge or running towards me at speed.

I'd be interested in other perspectives. Shooting a dog does not thrill me, but circumstances would dictate my reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd shoot my own dog if it bit a child.
    What if a child bites my dog?

Wiener dogs and (evidently) half breed mountain dogs attract children like well dogs to steak. We let the big mountain dog intercept them as he's a great ambassador, whereas the the wiener dog was a highly traumatized stray so we keep kids (and people) back. We also had an old wiener dog-probably the most ornery animal in history (he was the greatest dog ever) but when other dogs or people would come up he, like a regular British gentleman. Little kids are dangerous though because they will come running without regard. I've had more than one free range child tear across a street towards us and almost get hit by a car.

But loose dogs are a menace. While walking just the mountain dog about a month ago we were attacked when a pit bull came out an open door.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 04-24-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Living in an area where many of the folks think it's par for the course to let their dogs roam free during the day (and sometimes night), this is an issue which is a pet peeve of mine.

We never allow our animals to roam without supervision and I've taken to task some of my neighbors for dogs that have either attacked other dogs in the area, preyed on deer or small animals or set up and did damage on property not their own.

I don't like to have to bring it to their attention but it is better than my having to possibly injure an animal that shouldn't have been running free to begin with. I will not allow my wife or my dog to be a target for undisciplined animals or their owners.

None of my dogs have ever posed an issue for any neighbor or visitor to our home or property.

ETA:

I've had to draw on and come close to shooting dogs (Rotties, et al) on and off the job when they were threatening. Not pleasant at all.
    Last edited by blues; 04-24-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

If it's just me and it's not say a large Molosser or German/Dutch/Belgian Shepherd breed, I am fine with taking a bite, and beating the fuck out of the dog. Situation dependent.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Do you think your dog is a person and merits protecting as such? Try it and enjoy financial ruin.
    #RESIST

I've never had to draw my pistol in self-defense (hopefully I'll never have to), but if one did encounter a dog how would a dog typically react to getting 200+ lumens to the eyes? Just wondering as that's a possible solution to helping manage human aggressors before having to escalate.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I've never had to draw my pistol in self-defense (hopefully I'll never have to), but if one did encounter a dog how would a dog typically react to getting 200+ lumens to the eyes? Just wondering as that's a possible solution to helping manage human aggressors before having to escalate.
    I don't think it would do anything.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Do you think your dog is a person and merits protecting as such? Try it and enjoy financial ruin.
    1. You must be a gas at parties.
    2. Not sure how you went from "what happens if a child bites my dog" to "enjoy financial ruin." As the immortal bard once said: "Thats about a nine on the tension scale there Vern."

I'm a life long dog owner and animal lover. But like many of my acquaintances I'm on a blood thinner called coumadin. One serious bite from an unsupervised pit bull would mean I would probably bleed to death before the ambulance arrived. Just as we do with humans a gun should always be a last resort. For the most part if pet owners obey the local ordinances this should be a non issue. If not the animal may suffer because of the irresponsible owner.

1. You must be a gas at parties.
    2. Not sure how you went from "what happens if a child bites my dog" to "enjoy financial ruin." As the immortal bard once said: "Thats about a nine on the tension scale there Vern."
    I see no need to get personal. Did you not turn this discussion into debating whether or not it's OK to shoot a child for biting an animal?

Here's what you said:

Furthermore, do you not think you would be sued into financial ruin if you used any type of violence towards a child in public for "harming" a dog unless it was sick, very violent actions by the child towards the animal?
    #RESIST

User Tag List