Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    What happens if your dogs are on the loose, as you admit and they come upon another dog? The times I've drawn:
    *Pit bulls loose running up to my wiener dogs aggressively.
    *Pit bull attacking my mountain dog and one of said wiener dogs.
    *Pit bulls effectively ambushing me and mountain dog when getting out of my car,
    *Someone disparaged the greatness of TexMex.

Noticing a trend? What do you do if your dogs run up on another dog and that owner shoots your pit bulls?
    I feel the same way about someone hurting my dog, but what happens when an off-leash dog approaches and engages my leashed mastiff? Of comes all the way on to my somewhat isolated property and encounters an unleashed mastiff?

What's about to happen? Pretty much every time ... a choke-slam and impressive dominance display coming in T-3, 2, 1, .... No need to shoot the other dog, not gonna shoot my own over a dog fight.

Yup, EVERYONE is going to be unhappy.

In particular this pisses me off when they are on a woods trail I cut whose entrance crosses MY property.

Manage your dogs.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

What happens if your dogs are on the loose, as you admit and they come upon another dog? The times I've drawn:
    *Pit bulls loose running up to my wiener dogs aggressively.
    *Pit bull attacking my mountain dog and one of said wiener dogs.
    *Pit bulls effectively ambushing me and mountain dog when getting out of my car,
    *Someone disparaged the greatness of TexMex.

Noticing a trend? What do you do if your dogs run up on another dog and that owner shoots your pit bulls?
    I see one trend you blanketing my dogs into your own problems. Yeah I admit the go fee. When in the BACKWOODS. Which goes miles and miles without any assholes to see. My dogs are very well socialized and would never go up to someone or someones dogs when off leash. They stay within a certain distance at all times. If we come across someone or something they go back on leash.

Not because I am worried about my dogs though. Because I am worried about others. They never growl or bark at other dogs when we are in public. They only watch the surroundings. My dogs do not care what kind of dog they see. Danes or weiners. The only thing they care about is someone else to play with. I do not live in the city. Never have never will. Where I was raised all the pups in the area know each other and see each other. My dogs love to play with both of my neighbors gsd dogs.

It is not a dogs fault that humans are assholes and can not properly train there dogs or there own kids. I understand that bad shit happens and sometimes deserved. But I know my dogs and I know how they behave around others. So if I am walking with them and some dude freaks out because there are scary pitbulls in his vicinity and he shoots one of them. He better fucking kill me before I get hands on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I see one trend you blanketing my dogs into your own problems. Yeah I admit the go fee. When in the BACKWOODS. Which goes miles and miles without any assholes to see. My dogs are very well socialized and would never go up to someone or someones dogs when off leash. They stay within a certain distance at all times. If we come across someone or something they go back on leash.

Not because I am worried about my dogs though. Because I am worried about others. They never growl or bark at other dogs when we are in public. They only watch the surroundings. My dogs do not care what kind of dog they see. Danes or weiners. The only thing they care about is someone else to play with. I do not live in the city. Never have never will. Where I was raised all the pups in the area know each other and see each other. My dogs love to play with both of my neighbors gsd dogs.

It is not a dogs fault that humans are assholes and can not properly train there dogs or there own kids. I understand that bad shit happens and sometimes deserved. But I know my dogs and I know how they behave around others. So if I am walking with them and some dude freaks out because there are scary pitbulls in his vicinity and he shoots one of them. He better fucking kill me before I get hands on him.
    He probably would because I believe you're arguing attempted murder. In most states if someone attacks them they have the right to lethal self defense. I cant think of a jury outside of the West Coast that would not support a self defense claim in the fact pattern. I know in your fact pattern if I am walking my dogs and two pits come up in an aggressive fashion I will draw. If they aren't I wouldn't have to. If your dogs are a sufficient threat to my mountain dog they are more then a threat to me. If you appear and come to "try to get my hands on him" I'll empty the mag before you're within 15 yards of me because you are presenting a lethal threat to a person of my physical capabilities and age.

Frankly your response seems really hostile to a simple question and I am not sure why. You probably could have stopped with "I live in the country, take specific paths, and these dogs are specially trained not to interact." Its also conducive of the bad stereotypical pit bull owner who is at fault and being aggressive because THEY CAN'T CONTROL THEIR OWN DAMN DOGS. *

*I had this situation three months ago. Two aggressive dogs came up. My dogs on a leash responded and I saw the mountain dog go into threat mode. I grabbed up the weiner dog and yelled at the owner to get his dogs before they died. Then the owner came up aggressively and stopped only when I pulled my mace (carried for said doggies) and was going to burn his face off. When the police came they threatened to arrest him, not me, because my dogs were on leashes and I was minding my own business.

Final note. I see you are from Michigan. I should be really ticked. You people have hogged all the cold this year. Its freaking 90 degrees today-hottest on record. Share the cold man!

OK now final note. Your black one looks like my George looked. I too raised him more correctly then many pit owners (raised him like a bird dog) so I can empathize. He was great and I miss his antics.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 04-26-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Every dog that I've ever know to have bitten someone, or been bitten by, or almost been bitten by has been owned by someone who claims (beforehand or afterwards) "oh he's friendly, wouldn't harm a fly".

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Every dog that I've ever know to have bitten someone, or been bitten by, or almost been bitten by has been owned by someone who claims (beforehand or afterwards) "oh he's friendly, wouldn't harm a fly".
    Interestingly my biggest dogs have always been the best and didn't. Now the two wiener dogs-they're vicious. The old guy would bite you on principle. Now he had three teeth and at best it was kind of a tiny mouth hug so it was funny as heck.

My parents' Schnauzer bit both guys who eventually married my sisters. Smart dog.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

He probably would because I believe you're arguing attempted murder. In most states if someone attacks them they have the right to lethal self defense. I cant think of a jury outside of the West Coast that would not support a self defense claim in the fact pattern. I know in your fact pattern if I am walking my dogs and two pits come up in an aggressive fashion I will draw. If they aren't I wouldn't have to. If your dogs are a sufficient threat to my mountain dog they are more then a threat to me. If you appear and come to "try to get my hands on him" I'll empty the mag before you're within 15 yards of me because you are presenting a lethal threat to a person of my physical capabilities and age.

Frankly your response seems really hostile to a simple question and I am not sure why. You probably could have stopped with "I live in the country, take specific paths, and these dogs are specially trained not to interact." Its also conducive of the bad stereotypical pit bull owner who is at fault and being aggressive because THEY CAN'T CONTROL THEIR OWN DAMN DOGS. *

*I had this situation three months ago. Two aggressive dogs came up. My dogs on a leash responded and I saw the mountain dog go into threat mode. I grabbed up the weiner dog and yelled at the owner to get his dogs before they died. Then the owner came up aggressively and stopped only when I pulled my mace (carried for said doggies) and was going to burn his face off. When the police came they threatened to arrest him, not me, because my dogs were on leashes and I was minding my own business.

Final note. I see you are from Michigan. I should be really ticked. You people have hogged all the cold this year. Its freaking 90 degrees today-hottest on record. Share the cold man!

OK now final note. Your black one looks like my George looked. I too raised him more correctly then many pit owners (raised him like a bird dog) so I can empathize. He was great and I miss his antics.
    My response was to someone who shot one of my dogs because he was scared of them. Because of there breed, not because they did anything. So yeah someone shoots my family, that is my reaction. Yes I am going to be hostile when talking about someone harming a loved one. It upsets me just thinking about it.

Also I am not saying they are trained to not interact. I am saying they choose not interact. They do not interact because they like to make sure that said dog/person is a friendly. I also said they are very socialized. My point of being in the country is they are off leash when we go in the woods. My little Jack Russell was the same way. They go on leash when we get by someone out walking by chance or when we are camping. It is the right thing to do.

I am sorry you had that experience. That dudes an asshole. But that would not be the case with my dogs. They really do just want other dogs and people to be there friends. As many interactions as they have had with all the campers and dogs we have ran into. Which would be a lot, because we like to go all over camping. I have had one time where I was nervous. A couple by us had a rot mix that came over into our campsite and started growling and barking at my dogs. They just backed up and got in a defensive posture growled back until I ran in between. I had to use my fire poker to startle the dog and screamed at his owner. Nothing happened thank god. But I was very happy my dogs did not chew him up. Dnr came and booted them folks because I guess it was not the first time the dog did that to another dog.

The black one is a pit/lab and she is my girl. Extremely intelligent and it is funny you say bird dog because she loves to basically point if she spots something. The tan is a rhodesian/ridgeback and am staff mix. He is just a dork. Extremely powerful and fast but just a big lump.

Sorry on the weather it has been 80s if that helps haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My Father was of the opinion there was little difference between properly raising and socializing children and puppies. The older I get the more I see how right he was.
    He was a wise man.

The Story of Two Little Shits

We adopted Gracie in May of 2014. As described in a previous post, she was very submissive with little confidence.

That 4th of July we made a trip to NY to visit my wife's parents and of course, took Gracie with us. Also attending was my sister in-law and her daughter, who has two small kids (the Little Shits). The daughter doesn't do much in terms of discipline and generally thinks the two Little Shits are cute when they do obnoxious things.

We arrive at the destination and as we're getting out of the car, the two Little Shits coming running from around the back in a full gallop towards Gracie, who is on a leash. As expected, Gracie goes full submissive as the two Little Shits come down on her, they ask why she peed. We tell them they need to go slow with her and to give a little room to get used to them.

For the next four hours, the two Little Shits harass Gracie with their dumb-shit mother looking on with a smile. I finally start telling them to stay the fuck away from the dog. Since they're holy rollers, the coarse language finally makes a difference.

The following 4th, we did a repeat and rinse but actively protected Gracie from the two Little Shits. At one point I took her inside the house to get a break from it all. Gracie was off leash and without me knowing, the two Little Shits got her trapped in a corner of a bedroom. About seven feet separated them and Gracie was giving them fair warning to back off with a low growl, curled lips and stiff body language when I discovered what was going on. I lit into the two Little Shits telling them that if they had ended up bitten, they both would have also gotten a swift kick in the ass from me. That was the last time we subjected either of our dogs to the two Little Shits.

IMO, a bite in a case like this doesn't come anywhere close to justifying forfeiture of life via a bullet (not for the dog either).

George was part Lab. aha! does she like the water?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I love dogs and will always have one, but given my Wyoming cattle ranch upbringing, was always a little calloused compared to most on them. Having kids has only exacerbated that. I've had to shoot dogs and I've had to shoot horses. The latter was worse for me.
    Though I came from a suburban life style, I can certainly understand your need to maintain some emotional separation from the animals in your charge. I'm not sure I'd be up to that task.

User Tag List