Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Dogs

I could go through and 'like' every post by @LittleLebowski, but that would get a bit repetitive. @RevolverRob summed up pretty much anything I would want to say as well.

I remember when this exact topic came up on another board a few years back; a farmer/rancher out west had a pile of coyotes that caused a stir of emotion. What usually comes out are the people who work with and rely on animals for livelihood and those who view animals solely as companions. A different mindset is required for each point of view and many people can't/won't reconcile this.

The next step in this will be discussing putting down large/wild cats..

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Perhaps.

None of us were there, none of us know the back-story, so who are we to judge? That said, IMO sharing such a (what I would consider very private) story to validate an opinion on trigger design comes across as cold and cavalier.

But then again, maybe it's just me turning into a snowflake in my old age....
    I think most of the active membership here has a pretty good handle on the others. I'm to the point that as soon as I read a thread title, I can almost predict with certainty the responses from a lot of the active members. I know who is typically passionate about subject XYZ, and after reading certain posts, who specifically will come along to refute it. I know who likes to do drive-by trolling, and the topics that they find irresistible. Most can predict within a page or two when a thread will jump the tracks, or jump the shark, and who will most likely be at the helm. The signal to noise stays pretty clear through intentional restraint by many to keep the discussion under control and on topic, which is why everyone enjoys PFestivus*.

Point is, the greatest attribute of PF, being a relatively small and close-knit community, allows people to get a good sense of everyone's character given enough time. It's also the driver of trust, eventually showing itself as comfort, in which someone would share a personal story like that without fear of being chastised as a "trigger happy dog killer". Because, well, we know he's not.

To address the thread topic, as a dog lover and parent, I can only assume responsibility for the actions of my own. Constant supervision of both is daily SOP, but both kids and dogs have their moments, and nobody (read: parent or owner) is perfect. I pray that I never have to shoot anything that's living and breathing, especially somebodies dog, but in the same breath I can say that I would not hesitate to do so to protect my family.

*I've really been disappointed this year in that I have nothing of any substance for PFestivus. I'll have to make a sweet haiku about shooting dogs.
    Last edited by StraitR; 04-24-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I'll have to make a sweet haiku about shooting dogs.
    For eveyr haiku you write Xenu kills a little pupper.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    For eveyr haiku you write Xenu kills a little pupper.
    Pups aren't taking this lying down.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    I could go through and 'like' every post by @LittleLebowski, but that would get a bit repetitive. @RevolverRob summed up pretty much anything I would want to say as well.

I remember when this exact topic came up on another board a few years back; a farmer/rancher out west had a pile of coyotes that caused a stir of emotion. What usually comes out are the people who work with and rely on animals for livelihood and those who view animals solely as companions. A different mindset is required for each point of view and many people can't/won't reconcile this.

My fat wiener dog is very much in support of putting down wild cats. He's informed me that, when they are meowing, they are really insulting your mother, and you should act accordingly.

I posted this earlier:

Man shoots, kills pit bull attacking his dog outside coffee shop
    http://www.kgw.com/news/local/police...-dog/324141046
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I posted this earlier:

I find the other comments in that article far more interesting.
    "It's completely ridiculous this guy isn't getting arrested for the fact that he shot a gun in a public place with families walking around," Master said.
    Wo.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I posted this earlier:

My roommate and great friend is from Portland. I love her dearly, but she has some severely wackadoodle sensibilities when it comes to violence and interventions. From what I can tell, it's the norm in people from that area. Folks who are so privileged and unaware to have experienced things in life that might require violence of any sort. Her parents raised her with that hippy-dippy mentality that "Violence is wrong and those who do violence are just uncivilized and need redemption." - She seemed inclined to think that way, until she started doing live animal research. Then she discovered that a 30-pound monkey will rip her face off and her throat out, without provocation and that the only way to control it is, to CONTROL IT WITH FORCE. And since starting down that path about 18-months ago, she has really changed her tune on force, violence, and general understanding of animals being animals.

Two points - 1) Portland is full of hippies and hipsters who think love solves everything, when it doesn't. 2) This reinforces the experience that working with animals changes your perspective on what is and is not "civilized" and what animals (2 and 4 legged ones) are capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    It really does depend on the cat. Most large cats just don't go around fucking things up like feral dogs do. Being as they are more ambush/solitary predators. But feral cats are whole other can of worms and like feral dogs, are best put down quickly.

More than once we had issues with feral cats, dogs, coyotes, raccoons, etc where I grew up. For the most part, you probably can dissuade various animal perpetrators without the need to resort to shooting them, but not always. For instance over the years, we never had to shoot many coyotes (two that I can recall), even though they were common in our part of the world. They weren't big enough to harm cows or horses and they usually dared not get too close to the houses. Even if they did, motion detecting lights tended to scare them off. Raccoons on the otherhand? Tough to dissuade those persistent buggers. A shotgun and a chair near the trash barrel was the best bet for taking care of them.

Far, far, and away more frustrating were city folks dumping dogs and cats out in the country. I got some good dogs that way, but it also got a lot of them killed (usually be the Coyotes).

A few weeks back a lady got mauled by two dogs and they killed her. 84 year old widow out walking her dog. The attack was so vicious that they essentially decapitated the woman.

I wondered if it would've been different had it been a younger person or a male.

I love dogs. Me and my wife do not have kids and we are the people who treat our dogs as children.

Having said that I'd have zero problems shooting a dog that tried to attack.

People aren't good pet owners for the most part. I have pit bulls on each side of me. One pit bull is a sweetheart. The owner takes care of it and walks it all the time. The other one is vicious because it's owner ignores it, keeps it outside 24/7 and never walks it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

User Tag List