Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Dogs

Shooting Dogs

As a sixty-something guy who has had a dog in my family for my entire life, I know well the deep emotional bonds we can make with our "canine family members." After nearly 40 years of marriage and with our human children living their own lives as responsible adults, we have an even deeper bond with our current dogs (both rescue mutts) who feel more like surrogate children than pets.

I have also been a firearms enthusiast and competitive shooter for over 35 years. I take my skills and responsibilities very seriously, from the safe handling and storage of firearms to being able and ready to defend myself and my family with deadly force should such an unfortunate circumstance ever present itself. These two passions co-exist in harmony, but I can certainly envision unexpected confrontations that would require absolute objectivity and clarity of thought to avoid a greater tragedy.

Just as situational awareness plays a huge role in personal protection, so it does in dog ownership. Simply stated, in most circumstances deadly force can be used against dogs with legal impunity. Here is a typical example that occurred in NH but is common news just about everywhere.

It is for this reason we must not only exercise extreme "SA" with our dogs but also do our best at all times and all places to anticipate and avoid situations that could lead to tragic unintended consequences. Though there may not be any legal repercussions, the emotional and social costs of shooting someone's pet should not be underestimated. This is especially true for LE when something like this happens. As Americans we have 4th Amendment expectations of being safe and secure in our homes (and on our property) from governmental intrusion. Luckily, there are now training programs for LEO that will help avoid these unnecessary killings and the considerable political/social fallout that is generated by them.

For civilians who carry for self-defense, the old adage just because you can doesn't mean your should applies to the use of deadly force in encounters with dogs, especially so in cases where the presence of dogs is expected (like on someone else's property). If encounters with unattended canines in public areas are a normal occurrence in your life, carrying something like pepper spray might be a better and far less risky first line of defense. At the very least, learn to speak dog.

Dog owners need to "own up" and be responsible as well - allowing your dog(s) outdoors unattended is an invitation to disaster. If your dog "bites" a child (in quotation marks because playful, non-aggressive mouthing can be construed as a bite), you could face civil liability and the emotional stress of having your dog put down, even if someone trespasses on your property. It only gets worse if the bite causes substantial and/or permanent injury.

Sadly, there is no shortage of irresponsible dog and gun owners. It is only through education that unneeded dog shootings and all of the unintended consequences can be reduced. As an unabashed dog lover and student of the gun, I hope this post and the links provided offers some useful food for thought on the subject.

I'd shoot my own dog if it bit a child.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It is an unfortunate circumstance to do this but it is most definitely a modern day issue. 50 years ago this wasn't even up for conversation.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    It is an unfortunate circumstance to do this but it is most definitely a modern day issue. 50 years ago this wasn't even up for conversation.
    Because people think dogs are people.
    #RESIST

I've had and known dogs in my life that are far better than a lot of the people I've come across.

That said, dog owners *do* need to be responsible and, you know, actually take care of their pets. Don't let your dog run loose, keep them in your (preferably fenced) yard. That sort of thing. My dog (God rest her soul) was always either on leash or in my (fenced) yard. That's *my* idea of being a good pet owner.
    Last edited by Mntneer357; 04-24-2017 at 08:37 AM.

A viscous unprovoked attack, yes. But in most cases child bites are avoidable with little bit of parent-child training;

http://stopthe77.com/

From first-hand experience I can attest that unattended children "off leash" are a major hazard for dog owners.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    A viscous unprovoked attack, yes. But in most cases child bites are avoidable with little bit of parent-child training;

http://stopthe77.com/

From first-hand experience I can attest that unattended children "off leash" are a major hazard for dog owners.
    I hold my dog to very high standards and have no worries about children "off leash." Anyone's child is more important than my dog.
    #RESIST

Depends on the dog and the child's actions. I sure as shit wouldn't without a damn good reason.

ETA: the reason for teeing up this thread is?
    Last edited by Peally; 04-24-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Unattended children "off leash" are often a hazard for other people, with or without dogs. And, it gets worse as kids get older. Of course when you bring that to the attention of said child's parents, you're an asshole, hater, etc. Heaven forbid anybody take responsibility for their own charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Depends on the dog and the child's actions. I sure as shit wouldn't without a damn good reason.

ETA: the reason for teeing up this thread is?
    Have no idea on your question, but to be fair, it would have to be a bite. That being said, dispatching one's animal in case of attacking a human in public sans protecting its owner, can save you from a lawsuit as well.

I'm happy to own and to have owned, large, toothy, guard dogs whom are and were completely safe around children. I see dogs as dogs, might be my agricultural upbringing, but I make no apologies for it. I also don't go around looking for a reason to shoot dogs either.
    #RESIST

User Tag List