Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a line on Smith 19-7

Got a line on Smith 19-7

At a small gun store yesterday I visit irregularly, I came across a bunch of old S&W revolvers, including 10s, a 12 and 14, 15s, etc. They had a 2.5" model 19-7 for $550 also, which I plan to make mine on Tuesday (they're holding it for me). Apparently, a customer had recently died who had something like 1k of guns in his collection and some of them went to this shop. The 19 looks practically brand new, with only the barest hint of a turn line around the cylinder; it's VERY clean. For something in this condition that they're not making any longer, and never will again, I figured $550 is, while not smoking hot, a pretty decent deal. Sure, it's not a 19-3, but it is still not something I see everyday around here (YMMV). One thing I really like is the smooth trigger face of the 19-7, something my long-gone 19-3 didn't have.

It looks like I'm going to have to put my 3" model 64-3 up for sale to help finance it, but I can live with that, seeing as how I still have my wonderful 4" model 64-3.
    DAL357
    Last edited by DAL357; 04-23-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DAL357 View Post
    At a small gun store yesterday I visit irregularly, I came across a bunch of old S&W revolvers, including 10s, a 12 and 14, 15s, etc. They had a 2.5" model 19-7 for $550 also, which I plan to make mine on Tuesday (they're holding it for me). Apparently, a customer had recently died who had something like 1k of guns in his collection and some of them went to this shop. The 19 looks practically brand new, with only the barest hint of a turn line around the cylinder; it's VERY clean. For something in this condition that they're not making any longer, and never will again, I figured $550 is, while not smoking hot, a pretty decent deal. Sure, it's not a 19-3, but it is still not something I see everyday around here (YMMV). One thing I really like is the smooth trigger face of the 19-7, something my long-gone 19-3 didn't have.

It looks like I'm going to have to put my 3" model 64-3 up for sale to help finance it, but I can live with that, seeing as how I still have my wonderful 4" model 64-3.
    DAL357
    Under 600 for a clean mid 1990s (i.e. when the CNC tooling was still new) magnum is smart money. I'd have jumped on it, too.
    Last edited by jh9; 04-23-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    If you become a site supporter I can tell you a 3" k frame will move quickly in the classifieds here.

The 2 1/2" 19 is my favorite short K size. I sold one a few years ago since I disliked shooting magnums in it, but it sure was nice with about anything less than full magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The 2 1/2" 19 is my favorite short K size. I sold one a few years ago since I disliked shooting magnums in it, but it sure was nice with about anything less than full magnums.
    I plan on shooting very few magnums through it, maybe a cylinder or two of 158s at most. Everything else will be .38s, almost exclusively my softball reloads with cast bullets of WW that drop out of the mold at 154 gr. I may experiment with some plated bullets like Berry's, but it won't be anything more than a mid-range .38. I want to someday be able to pass this gun on to my son, so I plan on being smart with it. If I want to shoot horsey rounds, I'll get a GP100 or a 686.
    DAL357

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you become a site supporter I can tell you a 3" k frame will move quickly in the classifieds here.
    Yes. Yes it will. I am easy to PM if serious.

Site Supporter
    I'd have jumped on it too. Not to mention that 64

I plan on shooting very few magnums through it, maybe a cylinder or two of 158s at most. Everything else will be .38s, almost exclusively my softball reloads with cast bullets of WW that drop out of the mold at 154 gr. I may experiment with some plated bullets like Berry's, but it won't be anything more than a mid-range .38. I want to someday be able to pass this gun on to my son, so I plan on being smart with it. If I want to shoot horsey rounds, I'll get a GP100 or a 686.
    DAL357
    My main issue with shooting 125 gr factory magnums was the muzzle blast. The only way I know how to describe it was hideous. It was dumb to sell it though, it shot extremely well, as most 19s seem to.

To be honest, guys, the 3" 64-3 is a police turn in with "CYA" (California Youth Authority, I think) stamped on it, so it's seen some use, but it is still in pretty good shape. I had some occasional issues with it having a FTF, something I found was not unheard of with these guns for some reason. After putting in a new Wolff mainspring, I think it had a "power rib" on it, I've experienced no more problems for the last several hundred rounds, so I'm calling it fixed.

I would love to sell it online, but having to ship it overnight is cost prohibitive ($50-60+). When I sold my 6" Python (an overrated gun with a trigger that stacked, but that's another story) a while back on Gunbroker, I paid, including insurance, $80 to ship it. The 64 is in the local paper now at a reasonable price, so we'll see what happens.
    DAL357

P.S. I picked up the 19-7 on Tuesday, but I won't get a chance to try it out until early May; this weekend is supposed to be snowy and I'm pretty sure the range (outdoor) will be closed. Aarrgh!
    Last edited by DAL357; 04-27-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The 64 is in the local paper now at a reasonable price, so we'll see what happens.
    Which is???
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List