Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Revolver Field Carry

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Big Bore Revolver Field Carry

I did a pretty good look thru here on the subject. I thought there was a thread on this a way back that also discussed chest rigs, etc. Cant seem to find it, or perhaps it was wrapped up within another thread.

For those of us new to the idea of carrying a larger bore revolver afield, how do those here who have the experience doing such reccommend? Im interested more in belt carry (not backpacking into bearville or planning an epic journey) but woild like to hear from all sides from those who do so regularly. Right now im looking along the lines of a good sturdy ranger belt and a Threepersons style basic holser.

As always....pics a bonus.

Thanks.

I really like the Tanker style chest rig made by El Paso Saddlery. You can let out the length to wear it over coveralls or waders, or shrink it up to wear with a t shirt and flip flops if required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive mostly used Threeperson types for my old 4" Smith 29. I had a good friend make me a slightly modified version many years ago, its my favorite general use holster. I use it on a plain Lawrence cartridge belt with 25 rds in loops, and sometimes put a single speed loader carrier on the belt also. Ive worn it all day and forgot I had it on. No problem in and out of vehicles, in brush walking or cutting firewood, doesn't hit the muzzle on chairs or vehicle seats.

Couldn't find pics, I'll see if I can find some later.

I have one of the El Paso tanker types. I find its uncomfortable to me over time, it needs readjustment on my body often eith any activity. Its handy for quick trips out in the yard or in camp at night, but it gets to me when worn for very long.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-23-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I did a pretty good look thru here on the subject. I thought there was a thread on this a way back that also discussed chest rigs, etc. Cant seem to find it, or perhaps it was wrapped up within another thread.

For those of us new to the idea of carrying a larger bore revolver afield, how do those here who have the experience doing such reccommend? Im interested more in belt carry (not backpacking into bearville or planning an epic journey) but woild like to hear from all sides from those who do so regularly. Right now im looking along the lines of a good sturdy ranger belt and a Threepersons style basic holser.

Thanks.
    This is the existing thread you seem to be referring to : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....cussion-thread

Thanks.

HCM's link to the thread may answer your questions, but if it doesn't, here is what I do:

Belt carry:

200 AW from Milt Sparks

the Milt Sparks belt rig is my favorite by a wide margin.

For longer barrels, a Tanker style rig from El Paso Saddlery is quite comfortable and will protect guns from inclement weather. I normally wear mine over insulating layers, under my goretex shell.

Hill People Gear kit bag.

A very practical piece of gear. I run a recon bag. It will fit a G21, or a 5" Model 29. Plus some other basic stuff in the accessory pockets.

It has become my go-to bag for big game hunting, and kayaking.

I like Milt Sparks 200AW and PMK holsters for carrying medium and large revolvers. The 200AW protects the hammer spur from being cocked by brush and twigs. The PMK doubles as a good concealement holster.

As for chest rigs, the Hill People Gear Kit Bags are a new favorite for the field, though I have used mine, the Recon version, for a G19 thus far, so cannot yet personally vouch for its all-day comfort factor with heavier revolvers. The Kit Bags can be worn inside or outside a soft-shell or hard-shell outer garment. An option is to remove the harness, and attach it to one's backpack straps/harness, but I prefer that the Kit Bag stays on me if I shed the backpack.

I make no claim to being a hard-corps backpacker! My back-packs are small. The heaviest stuff I have packed-around since about 1998 is photo gear.

I have an old-school Eagle Industries nylon chest rig for a 1911, that is different from their more-recent designs. I have used it occasionally, over the years, but think that the Hill People Gear Kit Bags are a better mousetrap.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-25-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks for the replies. Been caught up with work and unable to respond.

Yes, I went thru the "Big Bore Revolver" thread, but remember (perhaps incorrectly) one directly related to carry. Maybe not. The biggest critter Id be concerned with is a black bear, and I make it the point to play nice when Im out and about. The biggest pack Id be carrying is a day pack, and most likely that would have LR rifle support gear in it ( along with a ham sammich) when I hit the hills to shoot some steel. Up until now, Ive used a OWB pancake rig with my M28 but with the arrival of the 3" .44 GP100 i need somethng else and havent been 100% thrilled with the pancake rig for reasons I just cant put my finger on.

Ive used a OWB pancake rig with my M28 but with the arrival of the 3" .44 GP100 i need somethng else and havent been 100% thrilled with the pancake rig for reasons I just cant put my finger on.
    Ive not been as happy with a pancake type or very high ride for general outdoor use as a "normal" belt holster when concealment was not the priority. The Threepersons type is a pretty good general purpose holster, in its many manifestations over time.

Comfortably carried a Bowen 4" .500 Linebaugh Redhawk in a Hill Peoples Gear kit Bag when I was hiking in Glacier. I would rather do a Arizona Ranger Sparks belt holster but pack and weather made the HPG a better answer.
    Last edited by 1slow; 04-26-2017 at 11:47 AM.

I recently "discovered" the Kenai Chest Holster and am now a big fan. I had a HPG bag but didn't like it for several reasons. Slow to draw from, kept my chest area really hot (nylon trapped my body heat and made that particular area of my chest super sweaty on long hikes, it was comfortable but just felt like I was carrying in a big chest fanny pack. I wanted something for dedicated sidearm carry on hikes, and so far the Kenai Chest holster has delivered. Might be a little "in your face" for some, but that personally doesn't bother me. It's out of the way of my pack straps and I can quickly draw it if need be.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List