Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Bore Revolver Field Carry

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

For those of us new to the idea of carrying a larger bore revolver afield, how do those here who have the experience doing such reccommend? Im interested more in belt carry (not backpacking into bearville or planning an epic journey) but woild like to hear from all sides from those who do so regularly. Right now im looking along the lines of a good sturdy ranger belt and a Threepersons style basic holser.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Yes, I went thru the "Big Bore Revolver" thread, but remember (perhaps incorrectly) one directly related to carry. Maybe not. The biggest critter Id be concerned with is a black bear, and I make it the point to play nice when Im out and about. The biggest pack Id be carrying is a day pack, and most likely that would have LR rifle support gear in it ( along with a ham sammich) when I hit the hills to shoot some steel. Up until now, Ive used a OWB pancake rig with my M28 but with the arrival of the 3" .44 GP100 i need somethng else and havent been 100% thrilled with the pancake rig for reasons I just cant put my finger on.

http://www.safariland.com/products/h...ting-holsters/

Maybe one of these would be suitable, readily available, and not terribly expensive to try out. As a general purpose field holster, I heard good things about the molded nylon Bianchi products.

I think, for myself, that I'd like to use crossdraw for a heavy-ish revolver, and would lean toward the 111 Cyclone. Looks to be available for the 3" Ruger GP series.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Ive scratched my noggin on those already. I also have a supply of 10-12oz leather still rolled up on the shelf. I went thru an "artesian phase" (more like monkey with a hammer) a few years back made a few up for various models and gifts. I might try that route again for this, at least initially. The basic design is really straight forward and even have some thin plastic reinforcent sheet of I want a hammer guard. I just need time and scotch.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Found the thread. Long day, short night ahead...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....eelgun-leather

User Tag List