Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta APX

Beretta APX

I prefer SA/DA pistols for concealed carry mainly for the safety aspect, that said we all know how heavily saturated the market is with striker fired polymer framed pistols. Glock started the whole craze and to their credit most major firearm companies have jumped on the bandwagon. So I was excited when Beretta entered the full size striker fired market with their excellent APX. I'm happy to report that the APX is IMO one of the best of the breed. The ergonomics are second to none and the look is distinctly Beretta with that slide setting it apart from the competition. At first I thought the slide serrations was Berettas nuvo art way of being different, but wow those serrations really not only look good they work. The trigger IMO is one of the best with a short pivot like take up and a crisp break followed by a short distinct reset. The APX has a feel all it's own with a thin feeling nicely textured grip, no need for grip tape with the APX. Of all the striker fired pistols the Beretta has become my hands down favorite and I own a lot of competing brands.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I'm very interested in seeing how this gun does. Look forward to your updates.

There was one in a local shop today, but I was there for other things, so I didn't even fondle it. Maybe I should go back and see about making it mine for science?

I handled one the other day. The grip did feel good and the trigger reach seemed good for those with smaller hands. The slide seemed thick, but it could have been an optical illusion due to the slide gripping surface design. In pictures, the slide "thingy's" seem really pronounced, but it didn't seem that way when handling it. They seemed very useful, and I kept thinking of that Frank Proctor video of using front cocking serrations for slide manipulations. It seems like a good idea.

I'm tracking this with some interest, particularly regarding its trigger and handling characteristics. While probably unfeasible from an engineering standpoint, it would seem that Beretta surrendered a huge potential selling point by not having it utilize 92 series magazines; that could have been a significant positive factor in what is appearing to be a saturated market concurrently experiencing a slump in sales.

Unless its truly a paradigm-shifter, I'm uncertain what it's bringing to the market that'll set it on a superior playing field compared to Glock, HK, etc. Beretta (like SIG) was very late coming to the table in this market niche; while SIG was seemingly able to leapfrog to the head by dint of winning some significant Federal contracts, Beretta will seemingly be forced to swim in a torrential current upstream...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-23-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm tracking this with some interest, particularly regarding its trigger and handling characteristics. While probably unfeasible from an engineering standpoint, it would seem that Beretta surrendered a huge potential selling point by not having it utilize 92 series magazines; that could have been a significant positive factor in what is appearing to be a saturated market concurrently experiencing a slump in sales.

Unless its truly a paradigm-shifter, I'm uncertain what it's bringing to the market that'll set it on a superior playing field compared to Glock, HK, etc. Beretta (like SIG) was very late coming to the table in this market niche; while SIG was seemingly able to leapfrog to the head by dint of winning some significant Federal contracts, Beretta will seemingly be forced to swim in a torrential current upstream...

Best, Jon
    I think you nailed the market and struggles the APX will likely face. I often read comments complaining about Glocks needing to pull the trigger to disassemble, no forward cocking serrations,plastic sights, no ambi controls,not modular, and feels like a 2X4 and has a mediocre trigger. It seems the APX has "corrected" all these complaints but then again so has the Sig P320. Maybe the lower bore axis on the APX vs the P320 will win it some buyers or the shorter (if that is confirmed) trigger reach and flat trigger. I hope the P320 and APX have success in the market as competition and choices for quality pieces are always good. I don't however see a major market switch from Glocks anytime soon. The magazine issue you mentioned is a pretty big missed opportunity being that the M9s/92s will be even more prevalent once the change-over begins.

I hope Beretta brings out a compact and/or subcompact frame versions soon as I think that will help the sales if they are really going to compete.

I think nearly all striker fired guns are really just filling a niche. For the maker, it just depends on how big that niche is.

Glock makes a great product, but if you don't care for the "non-standard" grip angle, there is a niche gun somewhere for you. If you think Glock ejection problems are a big deal, there is a niche gun for you. If you don't want to pull the trigger to field strip your gun, there is a niche gun for you. These all may be minor issues (or not issues at all) for somebody that has been shooting Glock's for the past 20 years, but if you're starting with a clean slate, some of these niche guns may give you what you want.

I say the more the merrier. The more options out there, the chances of finding something that more closely meets one's idea of "perfection" the better.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I think nearly all striker fired guns are really just filling a niche. For the maker, it just depends on how big that niche is.

Glock makes a great product, but if you don't care for the "non-standard" grip angle, there is a niche gun somewhere for you. If you think Glock ejection problems are a big deal, there is a niche gun for you. If you don't want to pull the trigger to field strip your gun, there is a niche gun for you. These all may be minor issues (or not issues at all) for somebody that has been shooting Glock's for the past 20 years, but if you're starting with a clean slate, some of these niche guns may give you what you want.

I say the more the merrier. The more options out there, the chances of finding something that more closely meets one's idea of "perfection" the better.
    Excellent points/perspective. Whether the niche the APX is aiming to fulfill is significant (and significantly profitable for Beretta) remains to be seen; and that's all assuming the the APX is at least as good (particularly in trigger, sights, ergonomics, reliability, durability, ease of operation {including ease of servicing disassembly/reassembly}) and accuracy as what's already out there, niche-wise and overall.

On its face, I like the look and concept of the APX. But I'm in no huge rush to jump out and get one until it's been a bit more proven in fielding.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-23-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

Best, Jon
    Looking around most gun shops nowadays, it seems the market mainstream is now striker fired.. That's the "main course" now in the gun world. DA/SA, SAO hammer guns and Revolvers are all basically collectors items insofar as the mainstream market is concerned. When Joe Public wants to buy a gun, he's expecting something without a safety and a striker fired action.

The APX,P320, VP9 ,Glock etc are the Chevy and Ford models of the gun world. Everything else pistol related is niche product now.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 04-23-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    I think you nailed the market and struggles the APX will likely face. I often read comments complaining about Glocks needing to pull the trigger to disassemble, no forward cocking serrations,plastic sights, no ambi controls,not modular, and feels like a 2X4 and has a mediocre trigger. It seems the APX has "corrected" all these complaints but then again so has the Sig P320. Maybe the lower bore axis on the APX vs the P320 will win it some buyers or the shorter (if that is confirmed) trigger reach and flat trigger. I hope the P320 and APX have success in the market as competition and choices for quality pieces are always good. I don't however see a major market switch from Glocks anytime soon. The magazine issue you mentioned is a pretty big missed opportunity being that the M9s/92s will be even more prevalent once the change-over begins.

I hope Beretta brings out a compact and/or subcompact frame versions soon as I think that will help the sales if they are really going to compete.
    I got to shot the APX at the TLG memorial event. I was favorably impressed but I don't see myself running out and buying one simply because my work choices are Glock and soon to be SIG P320.

Hopefully the success of the PX4 Compact carry will convince them to release a G19ish APX Compact. I've heard rumors an APX Compact exists ....
    Last edited by HCM; 04-23-2017 at 12:15 PM.

User Tag List