Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Glock +2 Baseplate Failure

Last night I botched a reload, dropping another fully-loaded, latest-generation G17 mag with OEM +2 extension and 11-coil spring. This time it dropped at more of an angle, maybe with some rotation. As last time, it exploded into all its separate parts. I could not find any damage to any of the parts. Upon reassembly, I had some difficulty getting the insert to lock into the baseplate, but more careful installation of the baseplate did the trick; I'm not sure that anything is worth reading into that.

It was a different magazine than last time.

I loaded up a separate, stock G17 magazine (stock spring, stock baseplate) and intentionally dropped it three times: once straight down (like my original post), once imitating a botched reload, and once on its side. None of these drops caused disassembly. After the first drop, the top round was dislodged/tilted upward a bit, but not enough to visibly escape the feedlips. I pushed in back down, and it didn't budge on the other drops.

I don't think I'll be posting any other followups to this thread, because my current plan is to replace all the OEM +2-base/11-coil combos with the stock parts.

A couple things ... the only time I can recall seeing issues with +2 extensions has been when the insert was not installed. FWIW.

Chuck - any further issues with the Magpul 21rd magazines?

I bought six of them and broke them in during a Dave Spaulding movement focused pistol class on a sandy range. I was intentionally running them empty and sending them to the ground. No stoppages then or since.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The OEM G26 mags with the factory +2 are money. Seriously, a great combo.
    I've been using this combo and have been very happy with it. I've never felt the need to +2 a G17 or G19 mag so no experience there. I've very comfortable with the G26 +2. For me, it adds enough grip to make the draw much more consistent and still conceals better than a G19 in some forms of dress.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I've been using this combo and have been very happy with it. I've never felt the need to +2 a G17 or G19 mag so no experience there. I've very comfortable with the G26 +2. For me, it adds enough grip to make the draw much more consistent and still conceals better than a G19 in some forms of dress.
    Ken, I'm confident enough in the Magpul 12 round magazines...5 without any failures after several hundred rounds each...to have begun carrying them in my G26. (With a Glock OEM 15 round magazine as backup.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Ken, I'm confident enough in the Magpul 12 round magazines...5 without any failures after several hundred rounds each...to have begun carrying them in my G26. (With a Glock OEM 15 round magazine as backup.)
    Thanks Elliott, good to know! I've been following that thread and have been thinking about ordering a few.

Considering that the Glock design depends on the magazine for proper function, they have shipped millions of pistols over decades, the 9mm Glock magazine and follower are incredibly tested and mature (unlike the .40 magazines/followers), and the Magpul magazine is different material and holds the cartridges slightly differently than the OEM, you would have to pay me a lot of money to carry a Magpul magazine. It is nice of you guys, though, to do the beta testing on them.

Bill Wilson told me that they intentionally elected to build the new EDC X9 around a proven magazine, so they were not introducing a new magazine at the same time as a new pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Maybe I'm the only one - but to me the great advantage going for 9mm Glock today, is that I don't have to use any parts or combinations of them, that haven't been vetted for years already.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is nice of you guys, though, to do the beta testing on them.
    Maybe you'll do something nice for us some day. What goes around, comes around.
    Last edited by blues; 07-07-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe you'll do something nice for us some day. What goes around, comes around.
    I am in charge of beta testing all things related to "bears."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am in charge of beta testing all things related to "bears."
    I've had one or two run-ins with the critters myself. (Including having one put its paw on my shoulder and huff in my face in Yosemite in 1975.)

We need a bear story thread.

User Tag List