Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock +2 Baseplate Failure

Glock +2 Baseplate Failure

I watched a latest generation G17 mag with latest generation OEM +2 baseplate with insert and 11 coil spring fail on the range the other day. The mag was fully loaded. I went to load my G17 with it and when I racked the slide the mag fell straight down. I must not have seated it fully. The mag probably hit the ground baseplate first, but I'm not sure. The whole thing exploded, throwing the spring feet away in one direction, the follower in another, and rounds everywhere.

I examined all the relevant parts and nothing seems to be damaged.

It's a training mag that gets dropped empty a fair bit, though never loaded. Still fairly new though. Perhaps the insert had gotten knocked and stuck depressed, I can't be sure, but I find that unlikely given that it was fully loaded. Still, a good reminder to always check the hole in the baseplate when grabbing carry mags.

I've heard of this happening with the old +2 baseplate, before the insert, but I thought the new ones were good to go. Now I'm questioning it a bit, though I don't particularly want to go loading up mags and repeatedly dropping them to test it.

Anyone else see this happen with the newest hardware?

I have not seen this, but I find it interesting that the issue happened "when I racked the slide the mag fell straight down. I must not have seated it fully." I wonder if the extension was partially dislodged during the insertion, which caused the magazine to not be engaged by the magazine catch.

Not to be critical of the original poster, but what this may do would be to provide the basis for really analyzing the benefits of genuinely needing the plus-two baseplate to begin with. Is the juice provided genuinely worthy of the squeeze-in other words, is it significantly beneficial to go with a plus-two, or simply go go two rounds sooner to a reload/sturdier magazine?

Realistically, how often is there a need to actually go through the entire capacity of the basic magazine, let alone needing 2 additional rounds as an additive to its capacity-especially if it's at the expense of durability and possibly concealment printing?

Obviously, I'm skeptical. If you're that concerned about reserve ammunition, I think a better route would be to simply add another reload magazine to your basic load, as opposed to going with the plus-two magazine additions.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    I watched a latest generation G17 mag with latest generation OEM +2 baseplate with insert and 11 coil spring fail on the range the other day. The mag was fully loaded. I went to load my G17 with it and when I racked the slide the mag fell straight down. I must not have seated it fully. The mag probably hit the ground baseplate first, but I'm not sure. The whole thing exploded, throwing the spring feet away in one direction, the follower in another, and rounds everywhere.

I examined all the relevant parts and nothing seems to be damaged.

It's a training mag that gets dropped empty a fair bit, though never loaded. Still fairly new though. Perhaps the insert had gotten knocked and stuck depressed, I can't be sure, but I find that unlikely given that it was fully loaded. Still, a good reminder to always check the hole in the baseplate when grabbing carry mags.

I've heard of this happening with the old +2 baseplate, before the insert, but I thought the new ones were good to go. Now I'm questioning it a bit, though I don't particularly want to go loading up mags and repeatedly dropping them to test it.

Anyone else see this happen with the newest hardware?
    It absolutely did happen with the original +2 floorplates from the late '80s
    Our original G17s were provided with these. I recall one of our Sergeants, a retired Army SGM, dropping a loaded one on the concrete at the range. Spring, folllower, floorplate, and nineteen rounds went everywhere. I recall them being replaced with standard mags soon afterwards.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 04-23-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    It absolutely did happen with the original +2 floorplates from the late '80s
    Our original G17s were provided with these. I recall one of our Sergeants, a retired Army SGM, dropping a loaded one on the concrete at the range. Spring, folllower, floorplate, and nineteen rounds went everywhere. I recall them being replaced with standard mags soon afterwards.
    I just sent my original circa 1988 vintage +2 mag with my Gen 2 G19 to Smyrna for warranty work. I'll be curious to see what I get back in a couple of days.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've had two bad experiences.

One was dropping a loaded mag by accident at the range. Scattered in a dramatic fashion. All rounds and parts were recovered.

The other was me coming out of a car with bucket seats. I think my mag got caught on the seatbelt coming out. It fell maybe three feet tops, struck base-first, and scattered. I never recovered the spring or the baseplate insert.

After the second incident, I decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze for a gun that already holds 18 shots. Both mags were using G22 11-coil springs, the latest + basepad, and the insert installed properly. I really wish Glock would come up with something like the G22 22-round mag for the 9mm. I'm considering giving the Magpuls a whirl as I like the idea of a 20+ gun for HD purposes.

OEM Glock base plates are absolutely not good to go and should not be used.

If you are using them for additional magazine capacity, it is highly recommended you purchase aftermarket 21 or 22 round magazines from Magpul or ETS.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    OEM Glock base plates are absolutely not good to go and should not be used.

If you are using them for additional magazine capacity, it is highly recommended you purchase aftermarket 21 or 22 round magazines from Magpul or ETS.
    Based on what exactly? The fine folks who came up with the Ameriglo sights you're so fond of have tested them and blessed them for duty. In fact all their SWAT Glock 17's are being issued with OEM +2 mags. The guys I know from that agency who are on the team haven't complained.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Based on what exactly? The fine folks who came up with the Ameriglo sights you're so fond of have tested them and blessed them for duty. In fact all their SWAT Glock 17's are being issued with OEM +2 mags. The guys I know from that agency who are on the team haven't complained.
    What's with the anger and completely immature response?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have always been told (and seen) that dropping any LOADED mag could damage it or cause it to self-destruct. That is not a test I would use to determine if something is good to go or not.

User Tag List