Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy for calibre, in duty handgun ammunition?

txdpd said it all...

"Most duty ammunition manufacturers for handguns are trying to meet FBI standards. Regardless of what a duty round might be capable of doing, they all end up doing about the same, because they are all built to a meet a standard."

Change the design specs, or desired parameters... and you will see different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I stick with 147gr HST because the ammo is reliable in my 1911s and is subsonic, which makes it a little easier on my damaged ears at the range. I read about its performance here in this section about when I was making the switch to 9mm. So just for me, the combination of reliable cycling, subsonic velocity, and good terminal performance rating makes it a good choice.
    I prefer lower pressure rounds, for the reason you mentioned. I experienced a little bit of high frequency hearing loss a few years back (while waterfowl hunting my wool cap interfered with the seal on the electronic earmuffs I was wearing). The ear doc said everyone is different in terms of their sensitivity to muzzle blast. I may be more susceptible to damage than other people. Hearing damage is permanent, so I do what I can to prevent it. - - For field rounds I like the 44 Special, 45LC, and 'lowly' 38 Special for this reason. There may not be the time to don hearing protection in a fast developing situation. In self defense pistol rounds, I prefer lower pressure & muzzle blast. But, if a situation is so serious that I have to use my firearm to defend myself, I'll just (hopefully) deal with the hearing consequences afterwards.

147gr HST without a doubt has less recoil than 124gr +p Gold Dots out of a Glock 26.

Those are my two 9mm carry loads.

I find the 124 +p GD to be a bit more accurate out of my Glock 19s, but largely prefer the 147gr HST out of my Glock 26s. Extensively tested several hundreds of each round with both speed based Drills and 25-50 yard accuracy tests.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    147gr HST without a doubt has less recoil than 124gr +p Gold Dots out of a Glock 26.

Those are my two 9mm carry loads.

I find the 124 +p GD to be a bit more accurate out of my Glock 19s, but largely prefer the 147gr HST out of my Glock 26s. Extensively tested several hundreds of each round with both speed based Drills and 25-50 yard accuracy tests.
    Good and timely to read this, GAP. I've had 124gr standard pressure GD on hand for some time and just last week received a couple boxes of the HST 124gr +P, and a case of the 147gr standard pressure to test out in my Glocks. Maybe I'll follow your preference when I start testing for my own carry usage.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Good and timely to read this, GAP. I've had 124gr standard pressure GD on hand for some time and just last week received a couple boxes of the HST 124gr +P, and a case of the 147gr standard pressure to test out in my Glocks. Maybe I'll follow your preference when I start testing for my own carry usage.
    Every little bit helps especially with the two finger G26 grip, just glad to have access to a non +p option that performs as well or better.

User Tag List