Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy for calibre, in duty handgun ammunition?

Heavy for calibre, in duty handgun ammunition?

In hunting rifles, heavy for calibre, eg 180gr .308 loads do exceptionally well in terms of penetration and performance compared to lighter loadings.But in handguns, Looking at test results for 9mm 124gr vs 147gr, i dont see much of a difference in penetration for common duty loads, so would the only advantage be the lower percieved recoil? Or do the 147gr offerings bring something else to the party?
    Last edited by flux; 04-22-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Interested in the responses.

I did the math for my carry gun (P30SK) and the difference in weight of 10+1 of 147 gr ammo and the same load of 124 gr is about 0.6 oz, assuming I did the math right. I suppose every little helps, as they say. Since both 147 HST and 124 GD +p are on Doc's list, and they both run for me, I'll likely swap to the GDs next annual carry ammo order.

Really I find 308 180 grain loads suck compared 150/165 loads on deer. I chrono Rem 180 CoreLok
    And they only did 2408 out of 22" bolt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    In hunting rifles, heavy for calibre, eg 180gr .308 loads do exceptionally well in terms of penetration and performance compared to lighter loadings.But in handguns, Looking at test results for 9mm 124gr vs 147gr, i dont see much of a difference in penetration for common duty loads, so would the only advantage be the lower percieved recoil? Or do the 147gr offerings bring something else to the party?
    Accuracy. In testing lots of loads in lots of guns, I have found best accuracy usually with either a hot 115 grain or the 900-1000 fps 147 grain loads. The heavier loads may also shoot POA/POI if the lighter loads shoot lower. Only way to know is to test them in your gun.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Accuracy. In testing lots of loads in lots of guns, I have found best accuracy usually with either a hot 115 grain or the 900-1000 fps 147 grain loads. The heavier loads may also shoot POA/POI if the lighter loads shoot lower. Only way to know is to test them in your gun.
    I concur. The old Winchester subsonic 147 grain duty ammo we had in the early '90s was very accurate and was the cleanest burning ammo I have ever fired. Ditto the 115 grain XM9001 ammo from Federal, which is a +P load not marked as such and shoots tight groups in my son's P228 and my G19.

Site Supporter
    I stick with 147gr HST because the ammo is reliable in my 1911s and is subsonic, which makes it a little easier on my damaged ears at the range. I read about its performance here in this section about when I was making the switch to 9mm. So just for me, the combination of reliable cycling, subsonic velocity, and good terminal performance rating makes it a good choice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    Really I find 308 180 grain loads suck compared 150/165 loads on deer. I chrono Rem 180 CoreLok
    In my 308, my 180gr handloads are more accurate than the lighter bullet loads (1:10 twist). Also, with RL17, I get an honest 2700fps with a non-max load.

I haven't tried them on deer yet, but my motivation for using 180gr bullets was to have a good bear-friendly load in that gun.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    i dont see much of a difference in penetration for common duty loads,
    Most duty ammunition manufacturers for handguns are trying to meet FBI standards. Regardless of what a duty round might be capable of doing, they all end up doing about the same, because they are all built to a meet a standard.

Point of impact will also be a little bit higher with heavier bullets. When we were issuing 147gr Rangers, my POA/POI was dead center of the dot on the front sight at 25yards. With the 135+p Hornady critical duty, it's POA/POI is top of the dot. Annoys the bejesus out of me.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    Can't tell you about deer, but here with the bigger African game the 180s definitely are the preferred choice. For "bush veld" hunting, that is not open plains, shots will be taken between 50-150 meters, the 180gr going at a sedate 2450fps, does very well, good expansion and excellent penetration, using standards. With bonded bullets it may make sense going lighter as they may need more speed to expand sufficiently.

Thanks for the replies, so basically terminal performance would be around the same, but other factors such as accuracy and point of impact may differ.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Point of impact will also be a little bit higher with heavier bullets. When we were issuing 147gr Rangers, my POA/POI was dead center of the dot on the front sight at 25yards. With the 135+p Hornady critical duty, it's POA/POI is top of the dot. Annoys the bejesus out of me.
    I got those mixed up, they are the other way around, I can't proof read.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List