Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30L / Ammo Issue?

HK P30L / Ammo Issue?

So this has happened about 6-8 times in the last 3,000 rounds or so. On a slide lock reload, I insert a new mag and drop the slide release, but the slide stays lodged in the open position and the magazine is also stuck in the gun. Every time it happens I'm too dumb and frustrated to make a careful observation/analysis. My gut tells me somehow the rounds are nosing forward and binding up the gun, or possibly the browning train and defend I've been going through has a slightly longer OAL than the gun likes, unfortunately I cannot remember if it's ONLY happening with the browning ammo. It can be resolved with a power stroke or a slide lock hop tap on the mag, but it's getting on my nerves.

Extra frustrated in the clip because it had just happened on the previous reload as well and two in a row was really annoying. Pardon me for going full caveman.

Last edited by SsevenN; 04-17-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Is it doing it with all your magazines?
    Last edited by Redhat; 04-17-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Is it doing it with all you magazines?
    It's hard to say definitively, but it seems so, I have like 10 mags and 2 of them were just opened and used today while it happened, so it's definitely just not on one mag.

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    It's hard to say definitively, but it seems so, I have like 10 mags and 2 of them were just opened and used today while it happened, so it's definitely just not on one mag.
    If you haven't done so I would recommend you number all your magazines. May not help in this specific case but it will help identify magazine related problems in the future.

Regarding ammo, try something else and maybe a different weight when you can. Also, it might be interesting to see happens when you rack the slide during the reload vs using the slide stop.

Instead of getting frustrated, try being analytical about these things...it'll be much easier than guessing...and you might consider getting a notebook to write stuff down.

Finally, can I assume the gun is clean, inspected, function checked and properly lubricated?

Been over a year since I shot my P30 on the regular, but here's a thought:

1. P30 auto forwards.
    2. Slamming the bottom of the mag could also spit the 1st round forward a smidge if you didn't make sure that 1st round was seated back into the mag all the way.

Maybe look at the next one and see if the round is seated properly?

Really odd as I've never seen that happen before over the course of 6 years, 4 different P30s and ~60k rounds.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

If you haven't done so I would recommend you number all your magazines. May not help in this specific case but it will help identify magazine related problems in the future.

Regarding ammo, try something else and maybe a different weight when you can. Also, it might be interesting to see happens when you rack the slide during the reload vs using the slide stop.

Instead of getting frustrated, try being analytical about these things...it'll be much easier than guessing...and you might consider getting a notebook to write stuff down.

Finally, can I assume the gun is clean, inspected, function checked and properly lubricated?
    Definitely going to # them up, good call.

Every other time this has happened it's been during a time base drill of some kind and powerstroking was my solution, this time I stopped mid drill but then failed to actually collect any real data. Shaking my head.

Yes gun was in proper order.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Been over a year since I shot my P30 on the regular, but here's a thought:

1. P30 auto forwards.
    2. Slamming the bottom of the mag could also spit the 1st round forward a smidge if you didn't make sure that 1st round was seated back into the mag all the way.

Maybe look at the next one and see if the round is seated properly?

Really odd as I've never seen that happen before over the course of 6 years, 4 different P30s and ~60k rounds.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Definitely going to be banging the rounds to the back of the mag moving forward.

This sounds unsafe, but I've been trying to reproduce this issue for 30 minutes or so, I just tried every mag with (1) round of this browning stuff, I couldn't induce it even pushing the round unnaturally forward, I'm strongly suspicious this is an ammo related issue. That said I'm super unexcited to cycle 500-1000 some odd individual rounds tonight to try and confirm so.

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    Definitely going to be banging the rounds to the back of the mag moving forward.

This sounds unsafe, but I've been trying to reproduce this issue for 30 minutes or so, I just tried every mag with (1) round of this browning stuff, I couldn't induce it even pushing the round unnaturally forward, I'm strongly suspicious this is an ammo related issue. That said I'm super unexcited to cycle 500-1000 some odd individual rounds tonight to try and confirm so.
    I definitely WOULD NOT do that for SAFETY REASONS.

Just work through it at the range.
    Last edited by Redhat; 04-17-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Site Supporter

This ^^^ or use dummy rounds.

In my defense the gun is pointed in a safe direction with no backstop issues and there's no holster work, pretty controlled environment. That said I just went through a box of 50 and was unable to reproduce the issue and the tedium has worn me out.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This ^^^ or use dummy rounds.
    I dry fire nightly and haven't ever had this issue with A-Zooms so I don't think that would be of much use, more sneaking suspicion of ammo issue, not to accuse browning or anything.
    Last edited by SsevenN; 04-17-2017 at 09:33 PM.

User Tag List