Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Every Normal Man...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL0...XM&mode=NORMAL

Start at 3:15

I saw this many years ago, and it made an impression....

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    At times must be tempted to spit on his hands, raise the black flag, and start slitting throats. H.L. Menken

With this in mind and a little wine in me, I bought one of these:

http://www.coldsteel.com/1917-cutlass.html

Great reviews and good price at Midway USA ($160.00, free shipping). How cool, I've always wanted a "real" sword. Why, well see above. It arrives at the end of the month. Aarrggh... shiver me timbers! Hopefully it's as cool as it looks. Need a flintlock too, but that's for later...
    I've held off due to fears about the steel involved, so I look forward to your review.

EDIT: Following SeriousStudent's link, I don't know what surprises me more, that there is an Army NCO sword--you'd think I would have heard about it in 20+years--or that there are Air Force swords.

(I note that the Navy and Coast Guard CPO swords are cutlasses.)
    Last edited by Drang; 04-21-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I've held off due to fears about the steel involved, so I look forward to your review.
    1055 is often used for larger pieces since it is less apt to break / chip compared to say, 1095.

I used to know a maker of Japanese knives and swords who used it on his pieces and they were intended for more than just display.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Every Normal Man At times must be tempted to spit on his hands, raise the black flag, and start slitting throats. H.L. Mencken ...
    I just gotta give a thumbs up for any post with an H.L. Mencken quote

1-Sword 3-Gun?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    1055 is often used for larger pieces since it is less apt to break / chip compared to say, 1095.

I used to know a maker of Japanese knives and swords who used it on his pieces and they were intended for more than just display.
    I won't be hacking up any pig carcasses or ribs. If I have any of those hanging around they will be on the Weber. I'll find something though...

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    I'm 'Murican, dang it, and I prefer tomahawks !
    Even as a rather flamboyantly non-American, I also have a weakness for tomahawks. I can't quite get into the pricing structure on the big-name tactical tomahawks, though.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Even as a rather flamboyantly non-American, I also have a weakness for tomahawks. I can't quite get into the pricing structure on the big-name tactical tomahawks, though.

Well you crazy Canuks have a pretty solid history with the tomahawk too !

I actually use mine mainly as a light axe during warm weather months when I don't want & need to carry a larger/heavier axe. The tomahawk helps feed my light portable wood stove & the head can be used for some knife tasks. Though I usually carry a moderate length sheath knife. With small folding saw, I'm pretty well set for what I like do. I don't buy 'tactical hawks'. Just all-rounders that work as tools. They are based on designs from the 1600s-1800s that were used as weapons when needed, so I guess they're 'tactical' in that sense.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Well you crazy Canuks have a pretty solid history with the tomahawk too !

I actually use mine mainly as a light axe during warm weather months when I don't want & need to carry a larger/heavier axe. The tomahawk helps feed my light portable wood stove & the head can be used for some knife tasks. Though I usually carry a moderate length sheath knife. With small folding saw, I'm pretty well set for what I like do. I don't buy 'tactical hawks'. Just all-rounders that work as tools. They are based on designs from the 1600s-1800s that were used as weapons when needed, so I guess they're 'tactical' in that sense.
    Well, anything axe-like is useful in about three quarters of the terrain here which is very foresty, the remainder being a combination of canola fields and actual arctic tundra, where the only useful tool is a bush plane so you can gtfo.

My main user is actually a small axe:

https://www.amazon.com/Wetterling-Ax.../dp/B00025ZC0G

Tuned up a bit and sharpened to razor or chisel standards, it does everything. I actually took down a bunch of foot-thick hardwoods with it last weekend because it was the sharpest axe on hand, even though it was smaller than what you'd usually want for the job. But it bites and throws chips beautifully and it's not overly tiring to swing when you're working on steep ground at weird angles.

This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Well, anything axe-like is useful in about three quarters of the terrain here which is very foresty, the remainder being a combination of canola fields and actual arctic tundra, where the only useful tool is a bush plane so you can gtfo.

My main user is actually a small axe:

https://www.amazon.com/Wetterling-Ax.../dp/B00025ZC0G

Tuned up a bit and sharpened to razor or chisel standards, it does everything. I actually took down a bunch of foot-thick hardwoods with it last weekend because it was the sharpest axe on hand, even though it was smaller than what you'd usually want for the job. But it bites and throws chips beautifully and it's not overly tiring to swing when you're working on steep ground at weird angles.

Yep, I have that Wetterlings Lg Hunters axe, and also the GB version. I prefer the Wetterlings. They're both nice axes.
    That's most likely what I'll carry during fall & winter when more wood may be needed.
    I like to back pack in to remote country. I bowhunt and fish. I try (not always successfully) to lighten up the carry load as
    much as possible.

User Tag List