View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun? (1911, DA/SA, LEM/DAK, etc.

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

156 62.15%
  • No

66 26.29%
  • What's a hammer?

5 1.99%
  • I'll carry anything, rocks and sticks included

24 9.56%
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    a well tuned TDA gives more driving "feel" and choices of performance under the driver's control. If your first shot needs tiny precision, cock the hammer. Things getting tense mid fight? Decock the hammer. Things getting hairy and losing balance? Put your finger behind the trigger (when the hammer is down)
    Is anyone here actually doing any of this with a semi?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I hope not.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Hammers. I also have been all over the map and sincerely tried to stick with striker type actions. It was quite the journey. Since the advent of the Beretta Px4 Compact Carry the journey has a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I've tried to formulate a response that would rise to the quality of discussion this forum deserves. But I just don't seem have it in me. So, short and blunt response: I really doubt it. The practices outlined in that quote are pretty much the opposite of what I shall, for the lack of a better term, call the P-F doctrine on the use of the TDA pistol.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I've tried to formulate a response that would rise to the quality of discussion this forum deserves. But I just don't seem have it in me. So, short and blunt response: I really doubt it. The practices outlined in that quote are pretty much the opposite of what I shall, for the lack of a better term, call the P-F doctrine on the use of the TDA pistol.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    Please clarify what you are referring to as the opposite of P-F doctrine...

Please clarify what you are referring to as the opposite of P-F doctrine...
    If your first shot needs tiny precision, cock the hammer. Things getting tense mid fight? Decock the hammer. Things getting hairy and losing balance? Put your finger behind the trigger (when the hammer is down) and have a grip that can't lose the pistol and no chance of accidental or negligent discharge. So many options!

You also can't argue with double strike capability!
    With a TDA pistol your first shot should ALWAYS be in DA regardless of situation.

You will not have time to decock in the middle of a string of shots to then immediately continue firing.

If your finger is not on the trigger face (because you haven’t made the conscious decision to fire and/or your sights aren’t on target) then it should be outside of the trigger guard, preferably in a high register either on the frame or the slide. No exceptions.

I also can argue with double strike capability because if the cartridge doesn’t go off when I pull the trigger on a semi-auto TDA pistol then its time to initiate remedial action. Tap. Rack. Bang. You don’t have time to keep pressing the trigger on a malfunctioning round.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    With a TDA pistol your first shot should ALWAYS be in DA regardless of situation.

You will not have time to decock in the middle of a string of shots to then immediately continue firing.

If your finger is not on the trigger face (because you haven’t made the conscious decision to fire and/or your sights aren’t on target) then it should be outside of the trigger guard, preferably in a high register either on the frame or the slide. No exceptions.

I also can argue with double strike capability because if the cartridge doesn’t go off when I pull the trigger on a semi-auto TDA pistol then its time to initiate remedial action. Tap. Rack. Bang. You don’t have time to keep pressing the trigger on a malfunctioning round.

So very dogmatic and written as if you are the final authority. Having no idea of my background or training you have judged according to what you have learned and your opinion. Yet, you do not express it as your opinion but as a commandment.
    Is that then, the way P-F doctrine works?
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-25-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Thumb cocking a DA/SA gun, decocking “mid-fight” because it’s getting “tense”, and putting your finger behind the trigger for any reason. Also, while we’re at it, using an Uncle Mike’s style sausage sack wrapped with assorted adhesive material as a holster.
    Wow. Not a very friendly thread.

So very dogmatic and written as if you are the final authority. Having no idea of my background or training you have judged according to what you have learned and your opinion. Yet, you do not express it as your opinion but as a commandment.
    Is that, then the way P-F doctrine works?
    I think “P-F Doctrine” wasn’t the best choice of words. That being said, if you were to ask any of the high level TDA users and trainers around, some of whom are around here (Daryl Bolke, Ernest Langdon, Mike Pannone, etc.) I’d bet my next paycheck they’d agree with me 100%.

But you’re right. I don’t know you nor do I know the level of your training. What I can tell you is that what you wrote are most definitely not standard best practices and whomever taught you what you wrote probably shouldn’t be teaching in any official capacity if that is SOP for how they run a TDA pistol. Its unsafe, unrealistic, and generally not recognized as a good way to go about doing things in a serious or practical manner.

I’m most definitely not the end-all be-all on this subject, so if anyone else wishes to chime in to confirm or call BS on my thoughts on this, by all means, be my guest.

Is that then, the way P-F doctrine works?
    Hostility to opinions different than yours is definitely not the way PF works. Instead of getting defensive a better approach might be to explore the reasons and logic that Spinmove wrote rather than getting into an internet...measuring contest over who’s had more training, etc. Just a friendly suggestion.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List