View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun? (1911, DA/SA, LEM/DAK, etc.

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

156 62.15%
  • No

66 26.29%
  • What's a hammer?

5 1.99%
  • I'll carry anything, rocks and sticks included

24 9.56%
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Travelled the path of 659 to 5906 both TDA to short spell with M&P to now DAO PX4. And fortunately never migrated from 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure everyone who knows me knows where I stand. I have shot and carried everything over the last 30 years of carrying a gun. My very first personal gun that I owned was a Browning High Power, after that a 1911 for several years. I grew up on the Beretta M9 in the Marine Corps, but many may not know that I was a "Glock Guy" back 20 years ago. I owned several different Glock 19s and 17s back in the day. Shot them hard for at least three years. So much so that I had a 19 that I broke a slide on, cracked on the right side of the ejection port, and I also broke off a rear frame rail.

It is hard to argue against the Glock platform with the fact that you can find spare parts at almost any gun store in the world. You can also detail strip it with a nail and anything that you can use as a light hammer. But I live in a first world country, so that argument is not going to hold much water for me.

It has really been my years as a firearms instructor, 30 years of studying gunfighting, and watching people under stress trying to run a handgun that has lead me to be an advocate of the hammer fired DA/SA firearm. One common thread that has always been there over the years is that people put their finger on the trigger when they are not supposed to. Even people with a lot of training that should know better and should be able to keep their finger straight end up letting that finger get inside the trigger guard under stress. The length of the first shot on the TDA platform keeps people out of trouble and keeps other people from getting shot that don't need to be shot.

Also, having shot a TDA gun really hard for many years, I now find that first DA shot to be an advantage over single action or striker fired guns. I can be much more aggressive to that first shot at very close range and feel that I am faster on the first shot because of that. The really funny thing is, if I am trying to shoot groups at distance, I almost always will shoot tighter groups if I shoot DAO and decock the gun for every shot.

At this point, I am fully committed to the TDA gun. I just think it is the best platform for both safety and shootablity.
    Last edited by LangdonTactical; 04-21-2017 at 05:41 AM.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    I am pretty sure everyone who knows me knows where I stand. I have shot and carried everything over the last 30 years of carrying a gun. My very first personal gun that I owned was a Browning High Power, after that a 1911 for several years. I grew up on the Beretta M9 in the Marine Corps, but many may not know that I was a "Glock Guy" back 20 years ago. I owned several different Glock 19s and 17s back in the day. Shot them hard for at least three years. So much so that I had a 19 that I broke a slide on, cracked on the right side of the ejection port, and I also broke off a rear frame rail.

It is hard to argue against the Glock platform with the fact that you can find spare parts at almost any gun store in the world. You can also detail strip it with a nail and anything that you can use as a light hammer. But I live in a first world country, so that argument is not going to hold much water for me.

It has really been my years as a firearms instructor, 30 years of studying gunfighting, and watching people under stress trying to run a handgun that has lead me to be an advocate of the hammer fired DA/SA firearm. One common thread that has always been there over the years is that people put their finger on the trigger when they are not supposed to. Even people with a lot of training that should know better and should be able to keep their finger straight end up letting that finger get inside the trigger guard under stress. The length of the first shot on the TDA platform keeps people out of trouble and keeps other people from getting shot that don't need to be shot.

Also, having shot a TDA gun really hard for many years, I now find that first DA shot to be an advantage over single action or striker fired guns. I can be much more aggressive to that first shot at very close range and feel that I am faster on the first shot because of that. The really funny thing is, if I am trying to shoot groups at distance, I almost always will shoot tighter groups if I shoot DAO and decock the gun for every shot.

At this point, I am fully committed to the TDA gun. I just think it is the best platform for both safety and shootablity.
    Is it the length or the increased force required?

I carried Teutonic precision striker fired pistols for years, but since the P7 was discontinued I went TDA and never looked back.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    Is it the length or the increased force required?
    I would say that it is both, but the weight without the length will not really help many of the issues that happen. Over a short distance, an adult male can "flinch" through a 25lb trigger pull. I also several cops that have pulled their Beretta to the half cock position and stopped pulling the trigger for the right reasons. Had they had a striker fired gun in their hand's things would have turned out differently.

I also don't think you need a 12lb DA to keep you out of trouble. I would say a long 6 to 8 pounds is plenty heavy and easy to shoot well.

I really wish I could get the DA gun manufactures to spend a little money to help develop better DA/SA triggers.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Site Supporter
    AIWB = Hammer or Gadget.

YMMV. EI-EI-O
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I carried hammer guns for many many years before Glocks for many many years. Now I'm easing back to 1911s and that is just because I want to shoot 1911s a lot now and I may as well carry what I'm shooting a lot.

But I went all striker for a long time because it was economical to build a small armory of them. That's about it. They shot swell.

I'm not particularly hammer vs striker focused. If something shoots accurately and reliably, I'm good.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've not found a DA I can shoot well, I think because of small hands. I carry a G17 in the winter and a 1911 in the summer. I wouldn't carry a Glock without an SCD. The EDCx9 may be a Glock killer for me because it would be a year round gun.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I carry a P229R in DA/SA for reasons which have been gone over in here already. Thumbing the hammer on reholster, as well as the longer, heavier first shot.

I feel practicing with a TDA has helped make me a better shooter overall, regardless of which gun I pick up. I'd say it forces one to be more aware of how they pull the trigger and really drives home developing a smooth pull.

With the "hold-outs" entering the striker-fired market, I would guess we'll see far fewer hammer guns carried. With the exception of the 1911, because cool guy factor and all.
    Last edited by HCountyGuy; 04-21-2017 at 06:42 AM.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Been a sig da/sa guy but once I tired out the 320 that was the beginning of the end. All the other SF guns were ok. The versatility of the modularity has made the transition easy. I go between the sc/c and now that I have incorporated the RX into the mix it doesn't look like I'm changing back.

I have also found that I would spend a lot of time in general with practicing the da only. I wanted make sure I was as consistent as possible with both da/sa but now I have a better range session with a more efficient training regiment given my time constraints. My shooting/range time just seems more productive now.
    Last edited by Dismas316; 04-21-2017 at 07:00 AM.

User Tag List