View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun? (1911, DA/SA, LEM/DAK, etc.

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

156 62.15%
  • No

66 26.29%
  • What's a hammer?

5 1.99%
  • I'll carry anything, rocks and sticks included

24 9.56%
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Doesn't everybody here SOMETIMES carry a J-frame?
    In my coat pocket in the wintertime.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    2) Am I the only one who thought of Borat? Like if we dared to remove the blur we'd reveal an airsoft firing black dildo?
    No, and completely plausible if Underground Tactical was involved in the development. First they made the DildAR the next logical progression would be making a pocket rocked that shoots miniature dildos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for years. I want to because my 36 is such a perfect classic but I just can't. Had a close call with a 5 shot once. Gives me the yips about being out with one soley.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I carry a DA/SA because that's what work gave me. I have come to appreciate the benefits of them, as many here have articulated. I do like the the 320.......LOVE the ergonomics of the M&P ( and how I shoot them).....And the Glock 19? I've owned 3. Realistically.....I'll end up carrying a Classic Sig of some kind in retirement.

Site Supporter
    I have never owned a J frame and have not carried a revolver in many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

When I first started carrying back in the early '90s my choice was dictated to me, so a hammer-fired M9 it was. So by nature I tended to stick to hammer-fired pistols until 2005, when a hand injury and reduced grip strength forced me to reevaluate the Colt Lightweight Commander as my primary choice; I bought my first SFA, a Glock 23. However, the performance envelope left something to be desired, so I became an early M&P adopter. After regaining my grip strength, I returned to 1911s in 2008. However after a few more deployments and some discussions with others, I began to realize my beloved 1911 might not be the best tool, so I switched to a HK P30 LEM. However, try as I did over several different HK models, my shooting with the LEM was not up to par as I was with my 1911. Then I picked up a VP9. Wow! I have since been a SFA person. I still own hammer-fired pistols, but I carry striker-fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    You are confusing "ignition method" with "trigger action".

The Walther P99 has two (three, actually) trigger pulls and is striker fired. The Colt M1911 has one and is hammer fired.

John Browning's first commercially-successful pistol design, the Model 1899, was striker-fired. There's nothing necessarily "newer" or "more modern" about strikers.

They are generally cheaper to make. They generally have less ignition reliability with hard primers. Things have tradeoffs.
    Well aware of the differences, the P99, and the history of the striker. Was sort of appropriating "hammer" and making it "TDA." I have no interest in guns with safeties but I understand if others do, and that's fine.

Just because it isn't a new invention doesn't mean it can't be the more modern solution. A parallel might be the bicycle, which is seeing a resurgence as a primary form of transportation in some metropolitan areas.

I have always heard the ignition reliability bit but never been able to find any actual data or evidence that would cause me to choose TDA over a striker. I would love to read anything people have on this subject.

I agree there are tradeoffs, I just see more tradeoffs with TDA (ok, and SAO or DAO) hammer-fired guns than I do with strikers.
    Last edited by ScotchMan; 04-26-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Scotchman: "I tend to instinctively search for absolutes in a world where there are none. So my instinct is to conclude that strikers are the evolution of the pistol, and are superior to hammers in most respects. There is one trigger pull to master instead of two, there is no chance of forgetting to decock or put on a safety. They are simpler mechanically, and have a better bore axis resulting in less felt recoil and muzzle flip. They are cheaper to make. I tend to believe this, and see the industry moving towards hammers not being relevant anymore, though at the very slow pace of the firearms industry."

My dissenting response, respectfully submitted: I, too, tend to instinctively search for absolutes in a world where there are none. So my instinct is to conclude that strikers are an evolutionary dead end, inferior to hammers in some respects. Several hammer systems have one trigger pull to master instead of two. (Examples: My 1911 and my DAK.) Those who require absolute simplicity can choose a hammer system with no need to decock or engage a safety. (DAO and DAK.) Hammer systems are mechanically adequate, and some have a low bore axis, resulting in less felt recoil and muzzle flip. (I returned to the 1911, largely because of the low bore axis.) I tend to believe hammers are as relevant as ever. This is true for auto-loading pistols and revolving pistols.

As for hammer-fired mechanical simplicity, take a look at a parts diagram, or tutorial for detail-stripping, a Seecamp LWS.

Nothing wrong with striker guns. My Glock total (8) exceeds my hammer-auto-loader total, though I have more total revolvers than autos. The G19 is a perfect Middle Pistol, occupying a very useful place between my larger revolvers and 1911 pistols, and my smaller five-shot revolvers. This Middle Pistol role includes police duty and much personal-time carry.

Interesting, thanks. I used LEM for a couple years but ultimately ditched it because I convinced myself I cared about reset. That gun is a P2000sk, and at the same time I had also convinced myself (correctly) that I could carry a full-sized gun. If I had taken that opportunity to get a full-size P2000 I might be in a different place today.

Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Well...not to drop a rock in the pond, but as a noob, I've always wanted to ask this question:

draws breath

If you were designing a pistol "from the ground up", what would be the advantage of having two separate trigger pulls in the TDA pistol?

Are there any, at all?

I see most folks EDIT INSERT: here on p-f.com END INSERT operate SA/DA pistols just fine, and I get that if you have one, it requires decocking practice, etc. For purposes of this question, try not to look at TDA as something to be trained around, but as something that has a plus.

What is the plus?

I'm separating the trigger press out from the ignition method; so a DAK = LEM = G19 for this question.

Obviously if I'm asking a Stoopid question, just ignore it or tell me where I'm screwed up in my thinking...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 04-26-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Interesting, thanks. I used LEM for a couple years but ultimately ditched it because I convinced myself I cared about reset. That gun is a P2000sk, and at the same time I had also convinced myself (correctly) that I could carry a full-sized gun. If I had taken that opportunity to get a full-size P2000 I might be in a different place today.
    Same here. I was pinning the trigger and using reset to guide when to shoot again. If you do that with lem your going to have a really hard time doing anything with it. So I went for an easy fix, a g19. I don't 100% regret it but once again I went for a hardware fix when the p2000 was fine. As of right now I'm glad I didn't sell my p2000..

User Tag List