View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun? (1911, DA/SA, LEM/DAK, etc.

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

156 62.15%
  • No

66 26.29%
  • What's a hammer?

5 1.99%
  • I'll carry anything, rocks and sticks included

24 9.56%
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

My carry guns are a DA/SA SIG P239 and P226R in 9mm.

I grew up on Glocks and 1911's. Purchased my first DA/SA gun about 18 months ago. I've grown to love DA/SA, but can't seem to quit G19's.
    My Beretta Brig Tac, and my G19 are the only 2 guns I can run 95%+ on Frank Garcia's dot drill. The G19 starts to lose out past 15yds though. That coupled with a Raven Eidolon holster makes it hard not to grab it every morning over a Beretta.

I plan on handling a PX4 Compact Carry at the NRA Show, if I like it I'll pick one up and put it through its paces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Hammer fired semiauto, TDA or DAO. I carried a concealed hammer 642 revolver for a long time, too.

Thumb on the back of the hammer for holstering, long smooth trigger pull for the first or all shots, etc.

Carry guns right now are a S&W 3913 and a Sig P290rs for when I need something smaller. Breaking in a Beretta 92A1.

I had to vote "everything" because it's true. Between my weekly trips to two NPEs, and my commitment to get to the range each week as well, I find myself with anything from wheelies to a 1911 (just got a DW VBOB, so I have to take it to the range each trip) to one of my Glocks, to knives and impact weapons in my kit.

In all, though it pains me as an enthusiast to admit, it's hard to argue with the G19/26/43 triumvirate. For edc on my own time away from work or the range, it's an SFA I reach for.

Site Supporter
    Awesome thread.

My primary carry guns have been mainly Sigs for the past few years. My P239 still gets the most carry time. I also have carried a P245 and a P6. Also had an affair with an HK P2000SK LEM for a while. Realized I liked DA/SA better.

So yeah... hammers for me.

Recently, I've really gotten into Berettas. I've been "getting to know" my PX4 Compact Carry for the past few months, and the thing is simply amazing. I think it's time spring for a fancy AIWB holster and start carrying it regularly.

When I first started getting into guns 5 or 6 years ago, Sigs and HKs were the guns I thought were cool. And I found pretty quickly that I shot Sigs the best... waaay better than Glocks, M&Ps, and other striker fired guns. When I started trying Berettas and 3rd Gen Smiths, I realized I shot those pretty well too. So I'm all DA/SA at this point.

And when I learned enough to know what's "really goin' on" with partially cocked strikers and trigger dinguses, etc.... striker fired guns ceased to make sense to me from a safety standpoint. Personally, I feel they're SAO guns in disguise (some more so than others) and wouldn't carry one without some kind of a safety. YMMV.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 04-20-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Sig TDA. I prefer the DA/SA and I like having a hammer I can thumb while holstering. I also prefer metal guns and grips that you can change with a screw instead of with a wood burning kit.

I'm not dogmatic, though, and recognize that striker fired guns are operated at high levels and safely by many, many shooters.

Nothing wrong with striker, I like my VP9, but like others have stated, the hammer is nice to have for holstering safely so I carry a P2000 LEM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    My primary carry is most often a Glock 26, and second most often a Glock 19. Reasons are a short, light consistent trigger pull for every shot, relative thinness and light weight as compared to firepower, and plenty of available sights and holsters.

My BUG and NPE gun is a Kel-Tec P3AT with a Crimson Trace LaserGuard. The reasons are quite similar to my reasons for choosing a Glock: thin, light weight, relatively light, consistent trigger, and easy to shoot well.

I occasionally carry a 1911, but not often.

I carry traditional IWB, in a pocket holster, or in a fanny pack while exercising. With these carry methods, I am not concerned about placing my thumb on a hammer during reholstering, although I do so when reholstering a 1911.

So, hammer fired verses striker fired really doesn't enter into my selection process. If the gun provides 100% reliability, ease of carry, and ease of shooting well, and reasonable firepower and stopping power, then it is what I want to carry.

I like the added safety when reholstering a hammer gun, and I find that the smooth trigger of a DA gun is easier to shoot well than the wall break of most striker guns.

Site Supporter
    I shot a lot of Glocks, played and still play with 1911s and ultimately didn't find that the Beretta 92 series was what I needed. Mostly because I was fairly invested in Glock, their mags, holsters, spare parts etc...And the company just builds loyalty what with GSSF certificates and a ton of different options available. The gen 4 guns have more or less become my go to pistols. I keep trying to find a different modern 9mm service pistol but I stopped trying. The Glock 19 is a heck of a good combo of capacity to size to utility.

I do shoot my 1911s in .45 at about the same level as my Glocks in 9mm...Better ergos, trigger, more practice, or a negligible difference between recoil control... Whatever it is, the 1911 just clicks with me. Maybe if I get a nice leather appendix holster for one...But til then, it's pretty much Glock.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List