View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun? (1911, DA/SA, LEM/DAK, etc.

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

156 62.15%
  • No

66 26.29%
  • What's a hammer?

5 1.99%
  • I'll carry anything, rocks and sticks included

24 9.56%
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    My sister rents the house on our old home place. I have cattle on the land. The water well wasn't working so I went to check it out. I walked up the back porch to go talk to my sister what I found, her (or her husband's) pit bull was loose and laying on the porch. I startled him and he jumped at me. I slung an iron porch chair at him while drawing (P239 9mm) from AIWB and that gave me enough time to get the front sight on him and squeeze.

Shot hit his chest high and he was hit good, but not dead yet. I had decided on a second shot and it broke before I wanted it to. I decided to make it a double since I wasn't totally sure about the placement of the last one. It went off about as quick as a bump fire and the dog was down good.

This all happened in maybe 3 seconds.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I enjoy the LEM for what it is, definitely not speed. 45 acp seems incredibly reasonable right now, I have been looking at potentially going that route as well.
    I may or may not have been caught browsing on HKs web site on the HK 45c page. Would that be under consideration assuming it was a LEM?

PS - To be repetitive, this thread is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I may or may not have been caught browsing on HKs web site on the HK 45c page. Would that be under consideration assuming it was a LEM?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Any PF thread over 5 pages is going to be cool. One way or another, it's going to be fun to watch.

I wish the Sig P220 was on par reliability wise with the HK. The DAK trigger is actually one of my favorites, but I am weird like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I think I see what you are getting at with this question, but I am not entirely sure. I think I run the entire travel. But I can't say I know I am when running fast. I don't make an effort to "ride the reset, " and I can't remember the last time I short stroked.
    We're probably on the same page; the route I was taking with the question was that, in my opinion, the "2 trigger pulls" point of view isn't necessarily valid. If only allowing the trigger to reset, the depressing again, it doesn't change position or weight in SA v. DA. Same for a SFA.

To keep that mindset it is prudent to decock before movement or any other administrative handling. For me, as a civilian nobody, if my finger comes off the trigger I decock as a way of signifying a break in contact. Same way I'd flip a safety on a gun that is equipped with one.

I believe this is one of those discussions that there is no right answer....and no wrong answer. It will circle around personal preference, familiarity and equipment on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    My sister rents the house on our old home place. I have cattle on the land. The water well wasn't working so I went to check it out. I walked up the back porch to go talk to my sister what I found, her (or her husband's) pit bull was loose and laying on the porch. I startled him and he jumped at me. I slung an iron porch chair at him while drawing (P239 9mm) from AIWB and that gave me enough time to get the front sight on him and squeeze.

Shot hit his chest high and he was hit good, but not dead yet. I had decided on a second shot and it broke before I wanted it to. I decided to make it a double since I wasn't totally sure about the placement of the last one. It went off about as quick as a bump fire and the dog was down good.

This all happened in maybe 3 seconds.
    So.. you killed your sister's dog?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Ah - I ran "LEM" and ".45" together and got "HK45c". Sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still think this topic depends on what is hot at the moment. If the PX4 CC wasn't just released and gaining steam mostly because a respected trainer who posts here helped develop the CC version, I think "striker" would dominate the poll with most carrying Glocks.

Since I don't hold people at gun point frequently or obsessively worry about shooting myself I guess I don't see the benefit over a striker design that is much lighter and has one consistent trigger pull to master with no additional controls to manipulate.

I guess we will see how this plays out vote wise BUT I just assumed everyone carried a G19.

I think YVK got it right a bunch of pages ago -- who cares whether someone else uses a striker or hammer. It feels like this thread has become this year's equivalent of the 9 vs 45 argument, and when a dog getting shot comes into it, some LE ugliness is all we have left to throw gas on the flames.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List