View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun? (1911, DA/SA, LEM/DAK, etc.

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

156 62.15%
  • No

66 26.29%
  • What's a hammer?

5 1.99%
  • I'll carry anything, rocks and sticks included

24 9.56%
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, we have about 300 users that regularly read the forum with Tapatalk. Polls not only don't show up in Tapatalk, but there's no indication at all in Tapatalk that there is a poll attached to a thread. So unless the OP makes it clear in their post that a thread has a poll, there are maybe 300 regular readers that don't know and don't vote.
    Interesting, I had no idea. Tapatalk and I have never really gotten along, for some reason. I have it installed on every iOS device I own, but even on my iPhone I still use regular Safari to view PF, but you probably already knew that.

Site Supporter
    The P226 is my favorite duty style weapon. I just wish there was a small reliable DA/SA for discrete carry. The P232 in the two examples I owned were not reliable.

Hammertime
    I got drawn into shooting five years ago with an unfired 25 year old Gen 2 Glock and most of my 17,000 ish rounds since then have been with a Glock as well as most of my dry practice.

I enjoy mastery of any hobby and as such have tried various pistol actions. They all work fine. Most allow me to shoot slightly better than a Glock. Or at least equal Glock performance with less practice.

As to the original question I can't say I prefer strikers over hammers, but I absolutely can say I prefer my trigger pulls to be consistent from shot to shot.

From my enthusiast, hobbiest perspective:

TDA pistols make no sense. Two differing trigger pulls at a time of great stress is a bad idea. The supposed safety of a heavier first pull with the advantage of precision on a second lighter pull is a set up for a negligent discharge when an un-practiced user anticipates a heavy long pull, trigger checks, and gets a short, light pull. I know of at least two users of DA/SA pistols who have done this.

Someone in this thread stated that he gets his best slow fire accuracy decocking between shots. That is fine, but I don't think bullseye competitors try to have heavier trigger pulls. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think the TDA system is a pistol masters system. I own one example and will have more, but I doubt I will ever achieve enough mastery to carry one for serious use.

That leaves me with SA actions with a safety, LEM, DAO, and SFA as options. I have found I definitely shoot better with a light SA CZ 75 or 1911, but concerns about fumbling safety deactivation make me hesitant to carry them.

LEM, DAK or revolver are fine, but a little slow in my hands. I feel most proponents of the "safety" aspect of the TDA system would actually be better served by one of these variants. If you want to have the maximum ability to "not shoot" someone that ability should be the same shot to shot and these systems eliminate both the safety and decocker. I may eventually carry a LEM as DB makes a great argument for it. It is slow and less accurate for me though.

That leaves me with striker fired for the most part. A consistent, fast, easy to manage trigger, perhaps lacking a bit in precision. With minimal training it is easy to learn not shoot people or oneself as well.

My $0.02 FWIW.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    For safety during holstering I think DA, Glock with gadget, Shield with safety all do the job, right? (Assuming things get used as intended).

For the other part, the "managing people" part: How applicable is that to CC'ers vs LEO? I can't picture a situation where I am trying to get people to do something with my weapon drawn. Am I missing something, or are we talking about a need that generally does not apply to everyone?
    You are missing something. While not neraly as frequent as LEO encounters, many civilian defensive encounters involve drawing without firing. Whether this involves holding the suspect at gunpoint or dissuading the suspect and causing them to flee. Check out the NRAs armed citizen column for examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I think the TDA system is a pistol masters system. I own one example and will have more, but I doubt I will ever achieve enough mastery to carry one for serious use.... I have found I definitely shoot better with a light SA CZ 75 or 1911, but concerns about fumbling safety deactivation make me hesitant to carry them.
    With regard to the SA, if you ride the safety the thought of missing manipulation is far fetched. I don't know much about TDA, but if Mr. Langdon tells me to fear not it, then I won't.

That said, there's no need or reason to go learn either type. SFAs with SCDs are fine.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Is it just me, or are these poll results in stark contrast to the poll Nephrology did less than a year ago? I'll have to go find it, but I thought his very well done spreadsheet showed the vast majority of PFers carried a Glock of one flavor or another?

ETA: Here you go... https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....urvey-for-2016
    At the grave and certain risk of being a pedant; the question asked "Do you carry hammer fired guns?" I would have only answered No if I never did or never or rarely would. With my recent renewal of 1911 I'm not exclusive either way right now, so yes I do.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-23-2017 at 06:29 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I prefer hammer fired, but carry striker because of the Glock 43.

TDA pistols make no sense. Two differing trigger pulls at a time of great stress is a bad idea. The supposed safety of a heavier first pull with the advantage of precision on a second lighter pull is a set up for a negligent discharge when an un-practiced user anticipates a heavy long pull, trigger checks, and gets a short, light pull. I know of at least two users of DA/SA pistols who have done this.
    When you shoot a SFA, do you allow the trigger only to move forward to the reset or do you allow it's travel to completely reset requiring you to complete the entire length of the trigger pull before break the next shot?

The problem there is not the choice of gun but the un-practiced user...

I see a regular stream of users at the range who are obviously unfamiliar with their gun's trigger pull and/or proper operation. The resulting "surprise break" usually sends rounds into the floor or ceiling! Regardless of action type, a user should be proficient with his choice and ever aware of the condition it is in. My $0.02 ;-)

Regarding the poll... anything can be carried safely with training, practice and the right equipment and mindset, but I greatly prefer hammer-fired TDA guns. My random thoughts:

1. A longer, heavier first pull provides a useful "stress buffer"
    2. Thumbing the hammer when reholstering provides another level of safety, regardless of carry position
    3. TDA guns should have a decocker and it should be used religiously between strings of fire - safeties are for SAO (and SFA) guns ONLY ;-)
    4. I shoot TDA guns better, faster.
    5. I love steel but generally carry polymer.
    Last edited by s0nspark; 04-23-2017 at 08:04 AM.
    "A man's character is his fate."

I think the TDA system is a pistol masters system. I own one example and will have more, but I doubt I will ever achieve enough mastery to carry one for serious use.
    So what happens if an inexperienced user "trigger checks" a Glock, 1911, AR, shotgun, etc? Boom, that's what happens. The problem there is the user, not the weapon.

TDA is a master's system? I'd say no more than any other pistol. I see non-masters every week at the range wreaking havoc with Glocks, Kahrs, 1911s, revolvers, AKs...the list goes on.

ETA: I'm not advocating that everyone dump their Glock for a Beretta or that DA/SA is somehow better than anything else. What I am advocating is that shooters learn to operate whichever pistol they choose, and learn to shoot it well.
    Last edited by Hambo; 04-23-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List