View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun? (1911, DA/SA, LEM/DAK, etc.

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

156 62.15%
  • No

66 26.29%
  • What's a hammer?

5 1.99%
  • I'll carry anything, rocks and sticks included

24 9.56%
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    See Post #23. I share the same sentiments after shooting TDA guns pretty exclusively for the last 2 years.
    Check. EL is on a short list of folks I would like to take a class with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I also like what Mr. Langdon says about the DA first shot allowing you to be more aggressive on the trigger during presentation to the target. When I was experimenting with TDA pistols I came to like the trigger, even with the two different trigger pulls. But IMO the advantages of TDA pistols are there for those who are willing to put in the practice time it takes to become proficient with them. They aren't necessarily "superior" to other designs.
    I agree with this especially the "willing to put in the practice time it takes to become proficient." I am willing, as it works for me. The first half of my practice sessions with my Beretta's are always DA, decock, DA, decock - lather, rinse, repeat. TDA works for me and that's what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Come join us next weekend in Oklahoma City for the Tactical Pistol Skills class. Looks like there are 3 spots left. Looking forward to learning from arguably the best. As an aside, my kids aren't aware of Mr. Langdon. They are golfers though. I told them it would be like them taking golf lessons from Jack Nicklaus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Highly recommended if you have the opportunity. He and Defoor are the two insructors that I actively seek out each year.

Quote Originally Posted by LTC77406 View Post
    I agree with this especially the "willing to put in the practice time it takes to become proficient." I am willing, as it works for me. The first half of my practice sessions with my Beretta's are always DA, decock, DA, decock - lather, rinse, repeat. TDA works for me and that's what it's all about.
    Agree with the above. You need to put in the time with a TDA to run it properly and efficinently. I personally feel the juice is worth the squeeze but many do not and that's fine. Finding what works for you is more important than anything else.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post

Can you elaborate? I'd be curious to hear more about other exercises.
    Tangent drift avoidance mode - extracted over to here
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    Currently carrying a G19 but have carried SA/DA guns in the past and definitely appreciate some of the inherent safety features of the design. For me it was ergonomics and the simplicity/commonality among the manual of arms between different Glock models that won out. There are probably multiple gun options that would scratch the same itch but I got my hands on the Glock first.

Started with a Beretta 92 as that's what I had at the time (gift from my father). I was proficient with both trigger pulls and trained and competed with it to instill good handling and safety skills but it was just a bear to conceal in the warmer months as I carried at 3:00 and this was before I knew anything about AIWB or found this forum. I revisited my choice to carry it around the 2011 timeframe after reading on the caliber debate and again before I found this place. I started feeling somewhat under-armed with a 9mm and I began feeling that I needed to switch to at least a .40 but wanted higher capacity than a single stack 1911 would offer.

Enter the full-size HK USP .40 I found for $450 which I really dug at the time due to what I thought was a decent capacity for a .40 and the ability to carry in condition 1 or 2 with a Variant 1 trigger that also provided for a de-cocking lever. I carried condition 2 again because I had trained that way and was comfortable with the first round pull being DA but concealment was again limited without going to AIWB which I still didn’t really know about. I trained with it more than I previously had with the 92 and shot it in competition sporadically and carried it much more in the colder months but as time went on I realized that I wasn’t able to carry it everywhere due to my inexperience and inability to conceal it very well and also due to some ergonomic issues with my fairly large hands as my grip strength and technique matured. The slide release lever on the USP protrudes out a good deal from the frame and is far enough back that as I got a higher and higher grip with my support hand to control recoil, I was interfering with slide. Mostly I prevented it from locking back on empty mags which I could live with as by then I’d have sent 13 downrange but periodically I would lock the slide back between shots which posed a big problem. To solve the issue, I had to make some compromises on grip which I wasn’t wild about when it came to the increased recoil of some of the snappier .40 ammo weights.

I may have been trying to solve a software problem with hardware but I picked up a G34 in late 2015 for competition after I had handled a G22 that my dad had at the time and that just felt like it fit my hand well. I trained with the 34 to acclimate to handling and it’s manual of arms but only used it in competition until I was sure I was comfortable enough with a Glock for carry. This was about the same time I found P-F.com. I had to switch out the factory extended slide release on the 34 because again I was interfering with it with my high grip and would lock the slide back intermittently when I really started cranking my grip down on the gun. I’ll admit, it was kind of spooky at first coming over to a pistol with no safety and no hammer after 5+ years of only shooting guns that had them but I put in the time until I was confident with it at which point I grabbed a G19 for carry due to it being easier to conceal IWB @ 3 o’clock over my previous guns and have stuck with it since.
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post

I will add one piece, I disagree with "most folks operate SA/DA pistols just fine." 80% of the people I see with TDA guns never shoot them in DA, ever. The ones who do often miss the target completely on the first shot (with the target typically being a man-sized cutout, or simple 8x11 piece of paper, at about 7 yards). I think it is a hugely understated problem that people don't shoot TDA well. I think it can be shot well, I don't think most people who carry them shoot them well. While that can be said for any pistol really, at least with a single trigger pull, that is the one they will be practicing at the range.
    80% can't shoot a DA shot worth a hoot. I agree. I'll also estimate that about 80% of the folks I see with SAO or SFA can't shoot them for crap either.

I have a theory, and it could be wrong, that if someone wants to be a really really good shooter, it's gonna take a lot of practice, regardless of firing/trigger system. Some may get you on a 8.5x11 piece of paper faster, but in the long run, by the time you go from "utterly awful" to "really friggin good" it's gonna be close enough to equal in the long run. Again, just my pet theory.

Just got an email from Springfield Armory stating that they have a new pistol platform that they're debuting this weekend on the 28th called the XDe. I'm still curious, but I just went from somewhat interested to "man, I hope it's an improvement but I have a feeling I'll die if I hold my breath on that"...

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    80% can't shoot a DA shot worth a hoot. I agree. I'll also estimate that about 80% of the folks I see with SAO or SFA can't shoot them for crap either.

I have a theory, and it could be wrong, that if someone wants to be a really really good shooter, it's gonna take a lot of practice, regardless of firing/trigger system. Some may get you on a 8.5x11 piece of paper faster, but in the long run, by the time you go from "utterly awful" to "really friggin good" it's gonna be close enough to equal in the long run. Again, just my pet theory.
    Totally agree, however I think getting to a really low level of proficiency with a striker or SA gun is faster for most. I have seen a friend shoot a full cylinder out of my Ruger SP101 at paper 5 yards away and not leave a hole. This same person could produce a 5" or so group at 5 yards with his P229 (SA mode for everything, of course).

I agree at high level the action of the gun is low on the list of factors.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Totally agree, however I think getting to a really low level of proficiency with a striker or SA gun is faster for most. I have seen a friend shoot a full cylinder out of my Ruger SP101 at paper 5 yards away and not leave a hole. This same person could produce a 5" or so group at 5 yards with his P229 (SA mode for everything, of course).

I agree at high level the action of the gun is low on the list of factors.
    We're speaking the same language then.

On a side note, on one of my wife's very early range outings I handed her a G19 I had at the time, results were poor. She asked to try my Beretta 92 compact. Even with the DA shot, she did much better at 21 feet than with the Glock. Sample of one person and all that, I'll even allow that she's likely an outlier, but she had 5 Alphas on a USPSA target with the 92 vs 1 Alpha and the rest C and D hits with the G.

I guess I'm just trying to say it's not always the same for ever new shooter.

User Tag List