View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun? (1911, DA/SA, LEM/DAK, etc.

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

156 62.15%
  • No

66 26.29%
  • What's a hammer?

5 1.99%
  • I'll carry anything, rocks and sticks included

24 9.56%
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

Some recent threads motivated this thought process and I figured this is one of the best places to get some good info. Its abundantly clear that as times have changed, so have firearm preferences. This year saw the adoption of the Sig P320 as the next US Military sidearm, ending a 116 year period of using hammer fired sidearms as the "official" sidearm. I'm not much one for nostalgia, but I do find the trend interesting. It's clear that the market demand for striker fired guns is at an all time high, with CZ, Beretta and FN introducing new models in the past 6 months alone. We also have Sig, Walther, HK, Canik, Steyr, Ruger, Remington, (insert favorite brand here) that have all introduced their ideal version of the "Glock killer" striker fired handgun.

I'm curious how many of you on here carry and prefer to shoot hammer fired guns? I'm not limiting this to one category; it could be a 1911, a DA/SA (any brand), HK LEM, whatever. If you do carry a hammer fired gun, regardless of what it is, I'd be curious to hear your specific reasons why.

On the same token, if you carry a striker fired gun, regardless of brand, I'd also like to hear why as opposed to a DA/SA or 1911. I'd like to leave "fanboy-ism" out of this thread if possible.

If all you've ever shot is striker fired guns and have never tried a hammer fired gun please post up as well.

I personally grew up shooting Glocks, and I began seriously training about 4 years ago. I dipped my feet into DA/SA Berettas, and now they are my primary carry. I still own Glocks, but prefer a hammer gun for day-to-day carry and competitive shooting. I like the extra safety margin I have with the long DA first shot, and I like how every shot after that is a nice, crisp SA break. I like thumbing the hammer as I reholster (I carry appendix). I incorporate the press-out into my draw and like that I can be more aggressive with my DA first shot as I have a longer trigger travel, as opposed to a striker fired gun. Those are my reasons and I'd like to hear yours.
    Shoot more, post less...

Like you sparks I've been all over the map. Content right now with AIWB and the LEM trigger system. It's the "real world" balance aspect I appreciate the most, safe, consistent, controllable and fast.

That said, I think it's pretty clear that while some systems might be harder to develop competency on - nothing is off the table and software whoops hardware in the pecking order.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

In 2014 I bought a SF M&P Full Size. Easy to shoot at the range. I could not get past wondering if the accuracy issues at 25 yd were me or not, so I bought a VP9 in 2015.

In 2016 I started to try and find a holster method that would work for me. After buying out Tony's stock in Kydex (or it seemed to me lol) I tried a Walther PPS M2.

Unfortunately, being a lefty with an outside button mag release is a bad combination. I traded the M&P and the Walther for an HK P30SK LEM V1. I carry it every day in a Mitch Rosen leather "Upper Limit" OWB.

I still shoot the VP9, for training and local matches.

It *is* kinda weird to have both a SFA pistol and a hammer fired LEM. Go figure. My thoughts are I will learn to shoot the VP9 for the next couple years, and continue to carry the SK.

At least until HK brings out the P30c.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 04-20-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Everything I'd carry is SF. I just prefer them and tend to shoot them better. At least in a more speed oriented style of shooting (IDAP/USPSA) so I tend to think I'd shoot them better in a self defense.

I prefer to shoot a hammer self loading pistol but tend to carry a striker fired one.

So far all the revolvers have hammers.

Site Supporter
    I carried Hammer guns most of my career. The only hammer guns currently authorized by my employer are all .40 caliber. The only 9mm's authorized at this time are Glocks.

If I could carry an LEM HK or TDA SIG in 9mm I might chose differently.

Site Supporter
    Hammers.

I've tried really hard to like striker fired pistols. They just don't click with me. Most of that time was with Glocks but also tried 320's and M&P's. Out of all of them I liked the 320 the most.

I've looked for something I like better than TDA Sigs. My favorite carry gun is a 239. It's pretty close to being my favorite pistol to shoot too. I have a 229 that holds that spot though and now I'm working with a 226 as a comp and possible carry gun.

It all comes down to feel for me. I enjoy the way the DA trigger pull feels. Something about the mechanical feel of the entire process really captures my attention. May have something to do with shooting well tuned revolvers as a kid. I like the recoil impulse of steel guns better than plastic guns too.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Sig P238 & Beretta PX4 Compact (9mm) are my main carries.
    My G19 & XD9 are mainly home defense - in different rooms of the house.

Sent from my Apple thang using Tapatalk
    Last edited by busykngt; 04-20-2017 at 10:05 PM.

I used to be a student of "Gun o' the Month," with a minor in "Carry Rotation" at the illustrious School of Derp and as such have carried just about everything at some point. Landed back on TDA because I like riding the hammer during holstering (especially after switching to AIWB) and with the exception of the PPQ, haven't found a SFA trigger I liked.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List