View Poll Results: Do you carry a hammer fired gun? (1911, DA/SA, LEM/DAK, etc.

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

156 62.15%
  • No

66 26.29%
  • What's a hammer?

5 1.99%
  • I'll carry anything, rocks and sticks included

24 9.56%
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Hammer fired guns in a Striker fired world

I was at a local IDPA match a few months ago, and there was one older gentleman that was shooting a revolver. pretty unusual to start with. but he was safe. and when it was his turn, he safely drew his pistol, cocked the hammer, and fired every shot in single action. slow as can be, but he was pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Can I ask who instructs placing your finger behind the trigger when things get "hairy"?
    I will answer your question once I find out is Tom Jones is warning me about using his position as Staff to remove me from the Forum. I do not want to jeopardize the other great opportunities of P-F because of the responses here.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I believe he is pointing out that very few, if any, members here would thumb-cock the hammer for "precision" nor do I know anyone that instructs that method. Same thing with decocking "mid-fight". TLG and others shared some good rules for when to decock and those are sound.

As for putting the finger behind the trigger... well that is just a bad idea. There's a reason everyone registers high on the slide.

I don't think anyone is speaking as a final authority, but there is the shared experiences of very capable units and individuals that stand as proven in adversity.
    Great comment. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I really wish we’d not give credence to or have further discussion about stuff like that. It doesn’t matter who teaches or advocates it — it’s a bad idea (I don’t care if that makes me sound dismissive or the final authority or that I’m not respecting unknown people’s unknown backgrounds).

But as I’ve often said, you guys can talk about whatever you want. But the next time people want to complain the “decline of PF” and “derp”, I’ll just link to the last couple of pages in this thread.
    Acknowledged.

During my time at PF, I’ve found it to be an open minded forum that promotes learning about how to shoot pistols at the highest level. I’ve certainly learned a lot here, and hope I’ve helped some folks as well. But what doesn’t work well is when someone assumes that everyone’s opinion is equally valid. It’s hard to tell who’s a true expert on the internet, but there is a lot of deep experience here that can be really valuable if you listen. That’s why it’s nice when Tom chimes in to help clarify that.

If you’ve got something new and different, this is a great place to hear what some experts think. Might be helpful to hear some good reasons why your idea sucks...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    No one has said anything about removing you from the forum.

I would appreciate it if you gave the weak passive aggressive stuff a rest.
    I'm brand new here. I want to abide by the rules. I don't how things work. It says you are Staff. Not passive aggressive, just wanting to stay out of trouble.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-25-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Alright then, let’s restart. Why do you think your viewpoint of TDA manipulation is correct? I would argue that excess decocking in the middle of a shooting string is highly unlikely. Furthermore, I think that one should keep their finger outside the trigger guard unless one is in the process of firing the gun. If you want to block the trigger from moving I think a better approach is to thumb the back of the hammer to inhibit movement.
    I read your question, it is a good one. I still don't know where things stand with the Staff. If I can get away from the beehive I've stepped in, I will reply.

User Tag List