Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Walther PPQ

Everyone has an envelope of comfort, if you will, when they have a loaded gun pointed at a major artery. That envelope is different for everyone- some require an exposed hammer to be comfortable, some a thumb safety, and some people are perfectly comfortable with no safety other than not pulling the trigger. For lots of people the short, light PPQ trigger is outside that envelope. This is not "bs" or even unreasonable, it is a part of the human condition. Different people are going to like different things.

There is no reason to be hostile because people have different tolerances for danger, or perceived danger.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Everyone has an envelope of comfort, if you will, when they have a loaded gun pointed at a major artery. That envelope is different for everyone- some require an exposed hammer to be comfortable, some a thumb safety, and some people are perfectly comfortable with no safety other than not pulling the trigger. For lots of people the short, light PPQ trigger is outside that envelope. This is not "bs" or even unreasonable, it is a part of the human condition. Different people are going to like different things.

There is no reason to be hostile because people have different tolerances for danger, or perceived danger.

Is it the general consensus that AIWB = gun pointed at major artery/organs/future children, and just therefore be assumed as such? I only ask because in threads inside and outside this forum I have heard reference to carrying AIWB without it necessarily pointing at you...some going as far to say that if it is pointing at your major artery, it is not being done correctly. I only ask because I've never carried AIWB but because of my frame, it would definitely have its merits. A major perk would also be if I'm not creating a more dangerous situation for myself. As such, I know that there is no substitute for good practice/training.

I'll read up on AIWB more.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I'm not saying I'm infallible, I'm saying that appendix-carrying a PPQ safely is perfectly doable, contrary to what many naysayers claim in this thread. The pages upon pages of this unfounded bovine fecal matter annoyed me to the point where I had to post.
    I don't think anyone said it's impossible. It's as easy to carry a PPQ aiwb as any other gun of similar shape and size.

What some have said -- myself included -- is that the PPQ's trigger is unforgiving of mistakes, and mistakes with aiwb can be deadly. It has a short and light trigger break. It should be rather apparent that the shorter and lighter your trigger break, the less it will take to make the gun go off. The gun doesn't know if you're trying to shoot zombies or holster the gun... you put enough force on the trigger to move it the requisite distance and it goes bang. There's nothing "BS" about that. It's pretty straightforward physics.

If you think you have a protocol for holstering a PPQ that's adequate enough to meet your comfort level, knock yourself out. I wouldn't do it. But then I have a protocol for holstering, say, a P30 or my 1911 in an aiwb that's adequate enough to meet my comfort level, and there are plenty of people who wouldn't do that. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Is it the general consensus that AIWB = gun pointed at major artery/organs/future children, and just therefore be assumed as such?
    Actual answer is "it depends". You can feel your common femoral pulse pretty easily; in most people it is somewhere in the groin crease. From there it divides with one major branch going almost vertically, and second one going wide. AIWB varies widely, depending on the person, from almost at the belt buckle to almost at the hip bone. Arterial course varies too. Then there is barrel length where longer bbl may actually be beneficial. Then there is sitting vs standing. After you plug it all in, there is too much variability to predict.
    The assumption of gun covering the artery is a correct defensive posture because one will in fact die if any of proximal arteries of the leg are hit even if this happened within 5 mile radius from a trauma center.

Re PPQ: to put what BOM and Todd said in a prospective, I wouldn't carry that pistol in any position. Sounds ridiculous to many happy PPQ owners, some of which I know personally, but that's what my current comfort zone is.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    The assumption of gun covering the artery is a correct defensive posture because one will in fact die if any of proximal arteries of the leg are hit even if this happened within 5 mile radius from a trauma center.
    Probably should be on a label that accompanies each appendix holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I don't think anyone said it's impossible. It's as easy to carry a PPQ aiwb as any other gun of similar shape and size.

What some have said -- myself included -- is that the PPQ's trigger is unforgiving of mistakes, and mistakes with aiwb can be deadly. It has a short and light trigger break. It should be rather apparent that the shorter and lighter your trigger break, the less it will take to make the gun go off. The gun doesn't know if you're trying to shoot zombies or holster the gun... you put enough force on the trigger to move it the requisite distance and it goes bang. There's nothing "BS" about that. It's pretty straightforward physics.

If you think you have a protocol for holstering a PPQ that's adequate enough to meet your comfort level, knock yourself out. I wouldn't do it. But then I have a protocol for holstering, say, a P30 or my 1911 in an aiwb that's adequate enough to meet my comfort level, and there are plenty of people who wouldn't do that. To each his own.
    Indeed, the PPQ needs a Gadget
    #RESIST

It may seem like retrograde thinking, but as an owner of both a PPQ and a P99, I much prefer the P99 just because of the concerns voiced in this thread. The P99 has many of the features I like about the PPQ, but the decocker adds a level of comfort that I don't get from the PPQ. At the range, the PPQ shines. On my side is my P99 in a Kaluban Cloak holster - a perfect combination in my thinking.

I'm not going to argue comfort level, because I myself wouldn't carry a pistol I felt was unsafe, but would the guys uncomfortable with carrying a PPQ feel any safer with a Glock?

I don't understand why the PPQ gets the label of "unsafe" for more people (recently) than Glocks do, since both have a similar trigger travel distance, similar trigger weight, similar reset distance, similar trigger/drop safety, etc.

In my experience, the PPQ has a noticeably lighter trigger than a Glock.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    In my experience, the PPQ has a noticeably lighter trigger than a Glock.
    extremely noticeably on a broken in PPQ. i had my ppq for about 6 months before my picked up his g22, it felt like a dao revolver in comparison
    "It's about killing people not launching space shuttles, don't over think it."-Trooper224

User Tag List