Thread: S&W 442: reloading, speed loaders, speed strips, and being left handed...

S&W 442: reloading, speed loaders, speed strips, and being left handed...

I'm looking to learn how to reload my 442, while being left handed. Anyone know of any videos or resources I can use that demonstrate techniques that work for left handed revolver shooters? I'm not coming up with any method that doesn't involve at least two hand-offs of the firearm between left and right hands. Is that just the way it is or does someone know of some technique(s) that work for lefties and revolver reloading.

Thanks!

ETA for Tom:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ver+reload+442
    picked up this thread 32 minutes after posting. never seen google search crawl hit a forum that fast.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 04-20-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Been shooting revolvers Left handed since the mid '70's. You should only need to transfer control once to the right hand which will hold the gun as you eject the fired rounds and insert fresh rounds with your left hand. You cup the revolver in your right hand as you use the left index finger to push on the cylinder latch (S&W). Your hands sort of slide around the gun, never losing contact with it. Gun pivots to the right. Trigger guard rests right about where the fingers meet the palm. Push out cylinder with right thumb and you now have a solid hold on the gun using right hand with thumb thru the frame. Cylinder is now controlled by thumb and fingers of right hand. You can eject with either right hand index finger or use palm of left hand to strike ejector rod. Barrel should be pointing straight up as you eject rounds. Left hand accesses spare ammo and will load the cylinder, using whatever means you choose, speedloader, speed strip or loose rounds. Barrel should pivot down and be pointing at ground before you start the reload. Gravity is your friend. If you need to index the cylinder while loading, the right fingers and thumb can do so. Once cylinder is reloaded, use fingers of right hand to pull cylinder closed. Left hand assumes firing grip while right slides back into position.

You should be carrying spare ammo on the left side for this to work best.
    Last edited by LtDave; 04-20-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

To back up what LtDave posted, skip to the 4:30 mark on the video to see Mas Ayoobs left handed reload, which is essentially the same.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA
    Last edited by 167; 04-21-2017 at 12:33 AM.

I have a left handed shooting buddy who is pretty good with a revolver. I was trying to remember how he reloads and I think it is the way LtDave described.

Thanks, guys. This is why PF is the best.
    I'll dedicate some time to absorb all of the above, and start practicing how to do it.
    Also ordered some speed strips.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I am left-handed. I learned to be functionally ambidextrous with revolvers, from the beginning, and use Michael de Bethancourt's very efficient right-handed reload for revolvers up to and including K-Frame size. The hand-over is very efficient, with no wasted motions, at the start if the reload, and at the conclusion of the reload, I fire right-handed, if time is of the essence.

Really, in my humble opinion, pulling a long-stroke DA revolver trigger is so very caveman-simple, there should be no such thing as a "weak" hand. I am about as clumsy as can be, and managed to be functionally ambidextrous with DA revolvers. Glocks, OTOH, are a real challenge for me to shoot well right-handed, as the complex Glock trigger is not caveman-simple.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-21-2017 at 09:24 AM.

You can sort of see how Ken Ortbach runs a wheel gun left handed on the videos on his youtube channel.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List