Page 85 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    There is another interesting factor that I never hear mentioned or hear misapplied. Quite a few years ago, when I was researching about the PX4 Storms, I used to pick the brain of the, then Customer Service Rep Supervisor ( @e_stern ). He told me that the PX4s in .40 & 9mm were made for Police use primarily. The PX4 Storm .45 was made for military use and had better tolerances for such harsh conditions.

Normally, non-Storm folks lump all PX4s into "full size 9mm" and its Compact version. But the .45 is built differently. You hardly see anyone using the .45, much less testing it.

The point being that the PX4 full size 9 was not made for military use, primarily. Not as many LEOs encounter water levels and then sand, etc.
    Interesting. Makes sense, given the SD .45's military intentions. I guess that's a distinction we often think about--certainly there are different design considerations. I would guess some guns are "consumer grade," as well.

His “entertainment” disclosure is BS because he calls other guns the “competitors” and cites fairness to other manufacturers. Then, he draws reliability conclusions. I think the test is stupid and not entertaining. I take very good care of my guns and I don’t foresee myself being submerged in water or having to crawl through mud and dirt. I don’t even consider it a possibility unless I’m abducted and taken to another location. I evaluate a gun based upon how it operates in the conditions in which I live. The PX4 is a great gun specifically because of the rotating barrel. When you take care of it, it will take care of you. Lastly, which is a better “gauntlet” test, MAC’s 2 minute Poncho Test or the 50,000 rounds fired by Ernest Langdon on a PX4 he STILL CARRIES?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had my gun submerged in nasty lake water. No choice on going in. I sure as hell hope
    It could survive being dirty or wet. Hell Glock has released specific parts to help with that.

The hammer fired guns seem to be the most reliable in these tests. Also the px4 ran great after a tap water bath with no lube. Some pistols were done once they lost all lubrication. The p07/arex/USP/92 have done the best. Which are based on or are battle proven pistols. Cz 75 series have been there and done that. The usp is proven HK badassery and the arex is basically a Sig pre Cohen to a extent. Which last time I checked p226 used to be one of the top dogs in the world. The Beretta 92 also did awesome from what I recall. Another proven pistol.

As far as strikers I think Glock and p10c did the best. Which happens to be Glock, pretty well sorted out in combat and a Glock like clone.

So yeah entertainment purposes and what not. But still I think you can pluck some knowledge from them. If you dont like it dont watch it. Move on. Plenty of other dumbshit on youtube.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    So yeah entertainment purposes and what not. But still I think you can pluck some knowledge from them. If you dont like it dont watch it. Move on. Plenty of other dumbshit on youtube.
    This is pretty much how I feel. It may not be "scientific"... but there's some decent insights to be had.

I think the "for entertainment only" is a legal out, so no one can claim MAC said to do it... or MAC said this is no good, give me my money back, etc.. It is just a standard disclaimer to keep lawyers from coming after him. The military term is CYA.

I find it interesting that while the glock in Macs did fine (glock 17) the glock 19 that in range tv did a mud torture test did worst then a high point.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 05-30-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karam.19 View Post
    His “entertainment” disclosure is BS because he calls other guns the “competitors” and cites fairness to other manufacturers. Then, he draws reliability conclusions. I think the test is stupid and not entertaining. I take very good care of my guns and I don’t foresee myself being submerged in water or having to crawl through mud and dirt. I don’t even consider it a possibility unless I’m abducted and taken to another location. I evaluate a gun based upon how it operates in the conditions in which I live. The PX4 is a great gun specifically because of the rotating barrel. When you take care of it, it will take care of you. Lastly, which is a better “gauntlet” test, MAC’s 2 minute Poncho Test or the 50,000 rounds fired by Ernest Langdon on a PX4 he STILL CARRIES?

agreed!

I handled a PX4 for the first time at a steel challenge match last evening. I was pleased that the gun fit my hand so well, since I can't quite get the groove of my finger on the trigger of a 92FS. The double action pull was a surprise, in that it reminded me of my HK DA/SA before I converted it to the LEM trigger, i.e., heavy and kind of off putting.

Couldn't find this on the thread; How much does the Langdon trigger work lighten the DA trigger pull on a PX4 from a shootability standpoint? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I handled a PX4 for the first time at a steel challenge match last evening. I was pleased that the gun fit my hand so well, since I can't quite get the groove of my finger on the trigger of a 92FS. The double action pull was a surprise, in that it reminded me of my HK DA/SA before I converted it to the LEM trigger, i.e., heavy and kind of off putting.

Couldn't find this on the thread; How much does the Langdon trigger work lighten the DA trigger pull on a PX4 from a shootability standpoint? Thanks.
    FYI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post

There is currently a lot of love for the PX4 but in stock / base form it is a bit of a diamond in the rough. I’m willing to bet all the PF’er guns referenced here have either factory D mainsprings (16 Lb) or the reduced weight Wilson mainsprings (14 lb or 12 Lb). These make a significant difference. A LTT Trigger Job in a bag should be even better.

User Tag List