Page 56 of 129 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!

600 rounds over the weekend

I shot 600 rounds this weekend in the Tactical Pistol Skills class. More than normal for demos in a class for sure and stayed a little late each day to shoot a little more. That puts me at 42,290 as of today.

One of the things I think I need to do is calculate how many of these rounds were fired in front of people. I have taught 20 classes this year with about 14 students in each class on average. I normally shoot about 450 rounds for demos in front of each class. By my math, that is about 9000 rounds of this test that has been fired in front of at least 280 witnesses.

Those are just ballpark numbers, but it seems kind of cool to me.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    Yeah, the more I shoot this fiber optic sight the more I think I would like the thinner painted one. Sometimes I find that the fiber is too bright and it makes it hard to see the outline and top of the front sight. I don't have that issue with the other sight with just the orange paint.
    I find a slightly dimmed green fibre gives me a pretty much perfect front sight to fibre ratio fwiw.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Vending Machine Operator
    FYI, Classic Firearms appears to have Type-C .45 Auto PX4s for $349, new in box. Great deal on a pretty rare variant.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-24-2017 at 12:03 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    FYI, Classic Firearms appears to have Type-C .45 Auto PX4s for $349, new in box. Great deal on a pretty rare variant.
    It's a Black Friday deal so better order quick.

OK, so as of today I have 44,210 rounds through the Full-Size PX4. Another class this past weekend and the gun ran flawlessly for another 500 rounds of demos as well as a 20 round mag from a student of Federal 115 AE.

At this point, I plan to finish the test as is with no more changes to the gun. I hope to get another 1000 rounds in this week and maybe another 1000 next week.

Only 7 weeks until SHOT Show, so there is no time to back off.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Wanted to say thanks to EL for taking time out of his busy day to respond to a part question. Thank goodness my refinishers found it.
    My PX4’s will be complete next week and I’m looking forward to beating on them and doing a review of all the work.

Seeing EL hit milestones on round counts inspires more and more confidence into the platform. The DA/SA Renaissance.....

First Broken Part

So today I discovered that I had a major broken part in the gun. I say discovered because I did not know it was broken until I took the gun apart. Name:  Photo Dec 08, 09 14 08.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  100.6 KB

Yesterday I shot 500 rounds through the gun and had two malfuntions, first ones in quite some time. One FTE and one FTF. So I figured it was time to at least do a light cleaning and add some lube. Round count this morning when I found the break was 44,710 rounds. Last time I had the gun apart was at 42,740. So I guess it could have happened anything in the last 1970 rounds, but my guess is that it happened yesterday sometime during the last 200 rounds of that session and that is why the two malfunctions.

So the good news is that if the cam block breaks it does not shut the gun down. The bad news is I really don't know when it broke, or when it first cracked and started to be an issue. I do know that I noticed a few times this weekend during demos that the gun was running a little "clunky". So the crack was likely already there.

Name:  Photo Dec 08, 13 03 26.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  89.0 KB
    Name:  Photo Dec 08, 13 19 30.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  26.6 KB

Also, I replaced the cam block with one from my back up gun (very low round count PX4 full size) and shot 550 rounds today with no issues. Beretta has a Super Duty Cam Block on the way to me, a $55 part.

The other good news is it lasted much longer than a 92 locking block does and the gun keeps running when it is broken, or at least mine did.

Total round count is 45,260 right now.

The other thought that came to my mind is that I am not sure this would happen had I not been running the gun so hard. I have been shooting this gun much harder than I would ever shoot a gun just for normal use. 500 to 600 round sessions have become the norm, which is twice what I would normally shoot for practice. I have been to the range 128 times shooting this gun since January.

All in all, I am very happy with the results.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

That's really interesting.

I bought a PX4 Fullsize on wednesday. I just ordered levers and a few parts from Beretta, and saw the super duty block. Maybe I should have added one...

Will Beretta take a look at it or give any feedback? I'd be interested to hear what they say. I wonder if there is a designated replacement interval on them? Or what may have contributed (running the recoil springs past life cycle?)
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Thanks for the report. That is an interesting looking break.

Vending Machine Operator
    Thanks for the report EL. 40K+ is a pretty solid survival time for a locking block. I'm stunned the gun kept running with it broken like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List