Page 3 of 129 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!

lately i've been shooting my 1988 vintage 92F in IDPA matches. place mid pack. it's not the gun holding me back, it's my skills.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    I don't think the dust cover on the compact frame would fully cover the recoil spring of the full size slide asssembly.
    What about chopping the full size grip to accept the compact mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    Hmm...
    Shoot more, post less...

You could probably do it, but you'd likely have to epoxy the backstrap on.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

I am pretty new to the pistol shooting hobby and have a lot to learn. My question is what are you looking to accomplish with this modification?

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only two national level trainers that I'm aware of that advocate, prefer and use a TDA gun in their training classes. Mr. Langdon and Mike Pannone (CZ). Virtually every other well-known firearms trainer uses some type of striker fired gun, the overwhelming majority being Glock. When I took my first DeFoor pistol class two years ago, I was the *only* shooter in the entire class not running a Glock. I ran my Brig Tac. As much as I want it to, I don't think we'll see the arrow swing back towards TDA guns on a mainstream level. Just look at all the latest striker fired polymer entrants we've had in the last few months. The APX, P10C, FN 509...the market is flooded with manufacturers offering "their" ideal version of a striker fired gun. The market clearly wants striker fired guns. Enthusiasts are the ones driving the sale of TDA and other hammer guns (1911/2011s).

I was a "Glock guy" when I first started seriously shooting. Shot them for 2-3 years before I got motivated to try DA/SA because of what I read on this forum. I still own a few Glocks and I will reach for them in *very* specific situations, but for day to day use I'm now officially a "TDA guy." Its taken me about a year or so and LOTS of $ spent trying different TDA guns to find the ones that meshed with my preferences, but I've finally settled on Beretta for 95% of my defensive and competitive shooting needs. I don't have near the shooting ability or experience that Mr. Langdon has (and I probably never will), but I've become a huge fan of the PX4 series over the past few months. My PX4 CC is my go-to carry gun, and I'm going to start using my full size PX4 in some classes and in some matches. If you haven't tried one and you're a fan of TDA guns, you're doing yourself a disservice.

*To clarify, I will reach for my G17 or G21 in very unique circumstances: when hunting (primarily waterfowl), or when going on multi-day hiking trips. The only reason I don't choose Beretta in those circumstances is because they are more difficult to detail strip if I were to fall in the marsh/swamp and top my waders & gun (happens more than you think), and the same applies on multi-day hiking trips where I cannot provide armorer-level maintenance to my Berettas while in the field. Contrast that with a Glock, which I can detail strip with a rock and a nail, clean and re-assemble in under 5 minutes. While I have no doubt my Berettas would continue to work in those environments, I don't feel like carrying around punches and an armorers mat/manual in my hiking or hunting packs. Mission drives the gear and all that...
    Steve Fisher runs a P09 sometimes

About 2yrs ago, IIRC, Defoor posted a pic of a Brig Tac he shot in his class and raved about it (I wonder if it was yours?). That post and following EL is what pushed me over the edge to give DA/SA a go. I purchased a Brig Tac shortly there after. Absolutely love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    Steve Fisher runs a P09 sometimes

About 2yrs ago, IIRC, Defoor posted a pic of a Brig Tac he shot in his class and raved about it (I wonder if it was yours?). That post and following EL is what pushed me over the edge to give DA/SA a go. I purchased a Brig Tac shortly there after. Absolutely love it.

Yep, that was mine I'll never forget the first words out of his mouth after he shot it...he looked back at me and said "Holy shit." He borrowed it for a few drills on TD2.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 04-20-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Yep, that was mine I'll never forget when the first words out of his mouth after he shot it...he looked back at me and said "Holy shit." He borrowed it for a few drills on TD2.
    Man that's awesome!

I let a national level instructor shoot mine a month or so ago, same reaction.

IF it were done carefully, keeping in mind about the back strap retention and mainspring/hammer strut spring plug.

Oh! Now you guys are giving me second thoughts about selling my full-size PX4 (9mm), with Trijicon sights...

The PX4 was my second one after the G22. And with campaigns from Beretta, got an additional 4 magazines for FREE! Was actually glad, too, when it got taken off the Roster (though it came back a couple of months later).

It’s a pretty gun. Nice form factor. Soft shooting. But then, I mostly practice with my Glock and 1911... Which, unfortunately, impacted my capability with the pistol when I doing some ‘on-demand’ movement drills, ie., forgetting to set the safety lever upon draw, the trigger pulls between DA and SA (was accurate with DA, but LOW with the SA).

My G19 is my current nightstand gun, G22 is competition gun; while my 1911 is just in the safe (I only shoot it when I want some fun). The PX4 is loaded and chambered in a safe in another room (the study).

During a stressful situation/encounter - having mostly getting used to a Glock weapon system, I am NOT confident with the PX4. Paper in an indoor range is fine, but maybe not for anything else.

Should I sell? Or should I not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List